Song Title Game (5 Viewers)

Also a huge hit much later for Ray Charles:cool:

My choice this time though.........

Says My Heart - Billie Holliday^&cool

Don't forget Hank Williams ^&grin

Back to Lil...........

My Secret Flame - Lil Hardin and her Swing Orchestra

Certainly not forgetting Hank Williams. It's not surprising how often some of the better songs come round and round again - to be sung by "new" artists. It's often been remarked how Frank Sinatra was very much influenced by Billie - and some of her contemporaries, and recorded many hits that had been sung by them before him.

My Old Flame - Billie Holliday

Some of the songs recorded by Hank Williams first appeared years before, I think Elsie Clark was singing "LOVESICK BLUES" over the closing credits of Boadwalk Empire last Saturday, Elsie recorded the song in 1922

After that History Lesson ^&grin...... how about.........

My One and Only Love - Louis Armstrong

Well - you're not boring me! Composed by Cliff Friend and Irving Mills - Lovesick Blues has become a country and pop classic. People who have recorded
it would read like a "Who's who" of pop records. I was watching the Sawshank Redemption the other day - and up popped that song by Hank!

I just like the Hiostory of some of these old 'uns!

Anyhow - back to the day-job:D

There Is No Greater Love - Billie Holliday

Give Me My Rancho (El Rancho Grande) - Ken "Snakehips" Johnson and his West Indian Dance Band

Different Band, same era......and playing on CD at the moment ^&grin

All of Me - by Billie H - (amongst MANY others) - written by Gerald Marks and Seymour Simons in 1931 - and has become a Classic.

I have a very scratchy recording - but must have been electrifying when first performed

Let Me Off Uptown - Anita O'Day

Talking about scratchy recordings I have got a lot of Swing/40's 78's including some "V" Discs that I play on this....

gramophoneclosed.jpg

gramophonewithoriginalVDisc.jpg

makersplate1.jpg

Genuine WW2 US

Alas no Billie Holliday

Lover Come Back To Me - Billie H.

I used to have something like that (British though) - That darned fire again! (78's/45's went the same way!).

Difficult getting needles for it???

Walk Right Back - Perry Como

I've been lucky, I found a source that even had the "V" disc needles in their small envelopes

Users who are viewing this thread

Back