Starting new diorama (1 Viewer)

Guy

Major
I started working on a new diorama called "Bad timing "
here is a first picture of some basic work done this afternoon
more to follow (if you are interested, I will show you every stage of the build-up)
guy:smile2:
bad timing.jpg

An important aspect of this forum is teaching and helping other collectors in constructing better displays.
I would enjoy seeing your techniques and tricks, so by all means share your talents! {sm4}

--- LaRRy

Yes lets see the photos as you progress.

Steve

position your figures on the board.
With a pencil , draw a line around the figure base.
With a sharp knife remove the surface of the styrofoam, to such a depth that the base of the figure is level with the diorama base.
glue your figure in place before you start with the groundwork

image (1).jpgimage.jpgimage (2).jpg
more to follow
guy

Once the figures are in position you can start with your ground work ( only glue the figures in place in the area where you will work on the ground cover)
Always start in the back and move to the front of your diorama( it's easier and avoids to knock over the figures already in place)
for ground cover I use "Polyfilla big hole filler"( with the blue lid ) especially for fields, gardens etc... in short all the areas where I will put grass and other vegetation.
For the roads I use another method which I will explain and show tomorrow
While the polyfilla is drying I do some work on the vehicles ( weathering )
more to follow
guy:)
DSCI0295.jpg

DSCI0296.jpg

For the path and the road I use AK "neutral texture for rough terrain" which I apply with a spatula ( you can also use an old paint brush)
neutral, because once dry you can paint it in any colour you want .
The path going up the hill I covered with a thin layer of very fine sand and some small stones and pebbles which I fixed with an extra sprinkle of deluted white glue , so that it sticks well to the AK neutral texture for painting, which I will do next.
Guy:)
DSCI0300.jpg

Painting :
I first painted the hill in deluted Van Dyck brown oil paint;
When dry, I dry brushed with green ( Humbrol matt 65)
then again when dry, I dry brushed again with yellow ochre.
I used the same Van Dyck brown to put some shadow amongst the stones and pebbles on the path;
Highlighted the path with very deluted Tamiya desert yellow acrylic paint (XF-59)
then dry brushed the pebbles and stones with some cold grey oil paint and when dry dry brushed them with titanium white.
Next: vegetation grass and bushes
guy
DSCI0303.jpgDSCI0304.jpgDSCI0305.jpg

here you have a better picture of the result so far obtained
guy:)
DSCI0306.jpg

Look what a difference it makes when you start paying attention to detail !!!!!!!
I will explain how I apply the grass texture in my next message.
DSCI0307.jpg

Look how it has changed .
For the grass: I started using static grass as a base , different colours of green and ochre and different sizes ( 2mm,4mm and 10mm)
I have a whole collection of natural plants , dried, painted and stabilized which I can use in any diorama set in the countryside.
let your imagination lead you
Good luck. The next pictures you will see will be from the completed diorama
Guy:)
DSCI0308.jpg

DSCI0309.jpg

Look what a difference it makes when you start paying attention to detail !!!!!!!
I will explain how I apply the grass texture in my next message.
View attachment 246612

Great work, Guy! Your foliage looks first class. I've always wondered what that material/plant type is you've used. I've seen it used in many different dioramas but never put a finger on what it is. It looks very realistic.

Cheers,
Ollie

Great work, Guy! Your foliage looks first class. I've always wondered what that material/plant type is you've used. I've seen it used in many different dioramas but never put a finger on what it is. It looks very realistic.

Cheers,
Ollie

Ollie
me and names of plants an flowers , that's a disaster. I will try to look it up and let you know.
Guy

Ollie
me and names of plants an flowers , that's a disaster. I will try to look it up and let you know.
Guy

Ollie
I do not know the names of these weeds but here are some more detailed pictures;
maybe this will help
DSCI0311.jpg

DSCI0312.jpg

Thanks Guy, I shall keep my eye out for that.

I think ...:rolleyes2: … the top one is THYME but can't place the bottom one.
I find very similar items is a Craft Store (A.C. Moore or Michaels for example).

Also a florist has a rather good selection of arrangement filler like Baby's Breath and such.

Good Hunting

--- LaRRy

Users who are viewing this thread

Back