T34 ~ 15 years on.... (1 Viewer)

WW2

Private 2
Decided to play around with these 2 Russian sets; one is recent; one is, I can't remember exactly, about 10 years old or more....which one do you prefer?? ^&grin

I think the older one is doing pretty well

IMG_4476.jpg

IMG_4484.jpg

IMG_4488.jpg

Thanks for looking

personally, prefer the older T34/85
Mitch

Agree. I like the older tank better than the new version. However they both have the same level of detail to my untrained eyes.

I believe the older T-34 was released in 2005. To me it is one of K&C's classic Russian WWII releases.The added
Bed springs added to me is what sets it apart.

I believe the older T-34 was released in 2005. To me it is one of K&C's classic Russian WWII releases.The added
Bed springs added to me is what sets it apart.

The older one was always a favorite. I also really liked the Russian tank riders that were released at the same time.

Agree. I like the older tank better than the new version. However they both have the same level of detail to my untrained eyes.

Agree on both accounts and go to show KC armour as not improved much for the money I'm sorry to say .just my own personal opinion

I have them both....I love them both!!!!!!!!

Steve

The older one was always a favorite. I also really liked the Russian tank riders that were released at the same time.

That reminds me as we could use a standing Russian flag bearer...... going to hang it on top of the
Reichstag during the closing hours of the Battle of Berlin.

That reminds me as we could use a standing Russian flag bearer...... going to hang it on top of the
Reichstag during the closing hours of the Battle of Berlin.

It pains me to say it, but I also hope that K&C make something along those lines.

The 2005 Berlin Series is what brought me on board. The first sets I bought were Captured and the T-34/85, because both sets were so totally original. It looks like the 2005 T-34/85 is a bit shorter than the new ones. That said, it's a great piece. Also, I got the tank riders immediately afterward. I still have them. And although their knees are a bit scuffed up after 7 years of use, you don't see it when they're on the tank. I sometimes think about reducing my collection (I've got all the Berlin '45 first series, Volkssturm, Cambrai 1917, and a lot of the 1914 sets) Then I decide which sets I would hold onto if I could only keep 8. Captured, Tank Riders, and the T-34/85 will stick around long after I've sold many of my other sets.
It's a shame, really. Because of the increased cost of production, the terrific "scenes" that Andy would sometimes produce are less likely. What sold for $85 now goes for $180. Granted, there were some 4-man sets that could have been sold as singles from the get-go--like the 4 man patrol sets. But, other sets, like the "Last Stand" only make sense as a group.

The 2005 Berlin Series is what brought me on board. The first sets I bought were Captured and the T-34/85, because both sets were so totally original. It looks like the 2005 T-34/85 is a bit shorter than the new ones. That said, it's a great piece. Also, I got the tank riders immediately afterward. I still have them. And although their knees are a bit scuffed up after 7 years of use, you don't see it when they're on the tank. I sometimes think about reducing my collection (I've got all the Berlin '45 first series, Volkssturm, Cambrai 1917, and a lot of the 1914 sets) Then I decide which sets I would hold onto if I could only keep 8. Captured, Tank Riders, and the T-34/85 will stick around long after I've sold many of my other sets.
It's a shame, really. Because of the increased cost of production, the terrific "scenes" that Andy would sometimes produce are less likely. What sold for $85 now goes for $180. Granted, there were some 4-man sets that could have been sold as singles from the get-go--like the 4 man patrol sets. But, other sets, like the "Last Stand" only make sense as a group.

Sadly, I have to agree with your observation. Many of the older AFVs had more detail than the current ones and more crew contributing to the set. Like the bedsprings and tank riders on the T-34/85 or the captured T-34/76 with all of the German modifications to the tank included and a crew nervously watching the sky. I think some of those sets were among the best by any manufacturer before or since for creating a scene.

Terry

Re: T34 ~ 5 years on....

Sadly, I have to agree with your observation. Many of the older AFVs had more detail than the current ones and more crew contributing to the set. Like the bedsprings and tank riders on the T-34/85 or the captured T-34/76 with all of the German modifications to the tank included and a crew nervously watching the sky. I think some of those sets were among the best by any manufacturer before or since for creating a scene.

Terry

agree with most of you
the older one really captured and still does....
was it 2005? wow....thought it was longer than that....oops sorry

some of the retired ones were fantastic sets indeed

The RA14 was like my second piece of King n Country. I was collecting Dragon Armor then and buying my stuff from Timemachine (previous agent in Singapore). Patricia, mum of Shirley who was the owner of Timemachine, told me that day when RA14 was retired that I should pick it up from them. It was their last piece and Pat said the prices were going viral on eBay. It was one of the best piece of advice, because when the recent fall of Berlin got rejuvenated, it was like getting a head start when chasing this series. This piece is so iconic with the "bed protection" on its side. The Russians were so adaptive to the situation. This is such a counterpoint to the other piece whereby Patton was reprimanding the Sherman crew for having sandbags on their tanks.

ChrisTay;............ Patton was reprimanding the Sherman crew for having sandbags on their tanks.[/QUOTE said:
Yes Chris....Patton"s theorie was that the sandbagging or concreeting of tanks made the crews less aggressive in combat. Old blood and Guts would rather have a dead aggressive crew than a tank and crew that could absorb a Panther/Tiger attack and have a good chance to take the enemy out!!.....does"nt make sense to me???!!!.

Steve

The sandbags also placed great strain on the engines and, after all the work of doing it. It was all really psychological in terms of benefit to the crews. Sandbags did not stop the high velocity panther and Tiger rounds they were also ineffective against the main stay the panzer IV.

Would also agree about the older sets at least from a few years back being better than some are today
Mitch

Yes Chris....Patton"s theorie was that the sandbagging or concreeting of tanks made the crews less aggressive in combat. Old blood and Guts would rather have a dead aggressive crew than a tank and crew that could absorb a Panther/Tiger attack and have a good chance to take the enemy out!!.....does"nt make sense to me???!!!.

Steve

The sandbags also placed great strain on the engines and, after all the work of doing it. It was all really psychological in terms of benefit to the crews. Sandbags did not stop the high velocity panther and Tiger rounds they were also ineffective against the main stay the panzer IV.

Would also agree about the older sets at least from a few years back being better than some are today
Mitch

And even worse, they were virtually useless against a Panzerfaust.

Terry

And even worse, they were virtually useless against a Panzerfaust.

Terry

Terry/Mitch......You guys maybe correct in suggesting the sandbagging/concreeting of tanks had no effect on German Tank/PanzerFaust rounds. You are certainly correct in stating that this practice was an extra strain on the engines. A book i read a long way back stated that sandbagging of Shermans did have a reducing effect on German rounds, Guess it"s all down to the range and angle of the projectile, and even if it was only phsycological??.....then this would surely only make the crews more aggressive, and not less so!!!!!!!.

Steve

Steve..

I think many if not all allied crews knew their armour was below par with German in terms of defence. I think what Patton was saying was attack was the best form of defence. He saw sandbagging as a defensive measure which, seems not to fit well with his philosophy.

I think the only thing I saw that worked was the water system used to stop Sherman's or, ''ronsons'' as the germans called them from immediately catching fire after a hit.
Mitch

Terry/Mitch......You guys maybe correct in suggesting the sandbagging/concreting of tanks had no effect on German Tank/PanzerFaust rounds. You are certainly correct in stating that this practice was an extra strain on the engines. A book i read a long way back stated that sandbagging of Shermans did have a reducing effect on German rounds, Guess it"s all down to the range and angle of the projectile, and even if it was only phsycological??.....then this would surely only make the crews more aggressive, and not less so!!!!!!!.

Steve

Steve..

I think many if not all allied crews knew their armour was below par with German in terms of defence. I think what Patton was saying was attack was the best form of defence. He saw sandbagging as a defensive measure which, seems not to fit well with his philosophy.

I think the only thing I saw that worked was the water system used to stop Sherman's or, ''ronsons'' as the germans called them from immediately catching fire after a hit.
Mitch

Mitch.......However one views Patton as a Commander and as a man he was certainly far from perfect, and definately not always correct in his strategy and actions...There were many who considered him an egotistical primadonna who did not flinch from sacrificing mens lives in reckless actions to gloryfy his own name!!. whatever ones opinion of the man is i believe he was
completely wrong in thinking that sandbagging was a defensive action.....Yes attack is certainly the best form of defence, but if i was sitting in that sandbagged tank then i would have the belief that i had a little more chance of surviving a mauling from german armour..Then even if only of phsycological benefit it would make me more confident to take on the enemy>>>>therefore it would make me more aggressive!!!.

Steve

Users who are viewing this thread

Back