Texas Toy Soldier Show 2022 (Pictures) (4 Viewers)

Also, as Mike pointed out, "It was really nice to see old friends"..........................that's THE one thing I missed being away from the shows for 2.5 years, seeing old friends, I had a lot of fun at Gettysburg seeing my good friend Tom Dubel and spending quality time together in person, having dinner the night before and then dinner again at MFCA Friday night, it was nice to see other dealers and friends as well at both shows.

George...I think me and you have mentioned this before...as I'm not really a dealer...but for me...attending a show is more of a social event while still looking for non-big name manufacturer's items....and retired hard to find pieces that I decided I want.....I have all my same main long time dealers still...and like to support them in purchases for manufacturer's items...but will always run across handmade or unbranded items at shows that they don't carry...but almost every person I have ever met that collects this hobby is a stand up guy...so it's always cool to re-connect with them...

Brendan,

Ken told me that the 3rd officer is William Henry Harrison at the battle of Tippecanoe.

Mark

Thanks Mark! I am really enjoying the War of 1812 themed figures that WB is releasing as part of their "Museum Collection" series.

Brendan

George...I think me and you have mentioned this before...as I'm not really a dealer...but for me...attending a show is more of a social event while still looking for non-big name manufacturer's items....and retired hard to find pieces that I decided I want.....I have all my same main long time dealers still...and like to support them in purchases for manufacturer's items...but will always run across handmade or unbranded items at shows that they don't carry...but almost every person I have ever met that collects this hobby is a stand up guy...so it's always cool to re-connect with them...

That's a solid plan and some excellent thinking regarding shows.

Having been away from them for 2.5 years, I noticed both at Gettysburg and MFCA that it was essentially myself and Hobby Bunker as the only two full time full line metal toy soldier dealers there, same for MFCA.

In years past, you'd have also had Dutkins, Greens Collectibles, Crown, The Toy Soldier Gallery, Stockade Miniatures and Quartermaster at both shows.

Dutkins, The Toy Soldier Gallery and Stockade Miniatures have retired, Crown moved and sadly, Al and Carl passed away.

What has taken their place is one or two table collectors thinning out their collections, so as you aptly pointed out, rare/hard to find items will now pop up as one never knows what a collector will be selling.

I was in rare form at both shows, the comedy was flowing, several people were dying with laughter, a few got torqued off at my non stop comedic one liners.....................too bad, their loss.

Funny moment at MFCA; as many of you know, I like to wear soccer jerseys, they are colorful and comfortable, so Thursday night at dinner, I had on a Inter Milan jersey, black and light blue Perrelli Jersey, some Italian fella got all torqued off, started swearing at me in Italian as he was an AC Milan fan (yup, they were swears, like my Pops used to do when he hit his thumb with a hammer while doing home improvements), my dinner guests thought it was pretty comical..................on Saturday, I had on an AC Milan jersey, black and red, Fly Emirates.................so this fella sees me in the hallway with the AC Milan jersey, so his Italian friend asks me "We no understand, why you wear Inter Milan one day, AC Milan one day??!!"..........so my reply "Oh, this is simple; Thursday I had on light blue sneakers, today I have on red sneakers, the jersey has to match the sneakers, this is VERY important!!"....................

The look on the other fellas face when his friend translated...................priceless....................:wink2:.

Hey Everybody,

This is Cody from Sierra Toy Soldier Company writing to say thank you for being so kind to Alex and I over the weekend at our very first San Antonio show. We had a great time getting to meet many of you and to put faces to the voices we hear over the phone so often.

I wanted to give a very special shout out to Daniel Martinez for his fantastic presentation on Pearl Harbor at the dinner that was held on Saturday evening, as it truly had Alex and I on the edge of our seats.

It was also fantastic to see Ken, Erika, Doug and company from W. Britains interact with attendees at the show, listen to their ideas for future ranges, and help facilitate an interest of toy soldiers amongst the youth they encountered. Y'all did a great job and should certainly be recognized for that!

In terms of attendance, while the common consensus was that attendance was down, I have no doubt in my mind that the show will continue to gain traction over the next few years as it has been left in very capable hands. I honestly believe that the best is yet to come.

Thanks for reading our show report. For those we got to talk to at the show, don't be strangers!

Cheers,

Cody

When I left my house I was not sure what to make of the show. I had not been to a toy soldier show since 2018.

When I finally parked and made my way to the ballroom I was so excited just to be back in an element that I loved.

This show might have been small but it still had energy and more importantly at this point and time it has potential.

Huge tip of my cap to the organizers, dealers and attendees.

Having been away from them for 2.5 years, I noticed both at Gettysburg and MFCA that it was essentially myself and Hobby Bunker as the only two full time full line metal toy soldier dealers there, same for MFCA.

In years past, you'd have also had Dutkins, Greens Collectibles, Crown, The Toy Soldier Gallery, Stockade Miniatures and Quartermaster at both shows.

Dutkins, The Toy Soldier Gallery and Stockade Miniatures have retired, Crown moved and sadly, Al and Carl passed away.

What has taken their place is one or two table collectors thinning out their collections, so as you aptly pointed out, rare/hard to find items will now pop up as one never knows what a collector will be selling.

I was in rare form at both shows, the comedy was flowing, several people were dying with laughter, a few got torqued off at my non stop comedic one liners.....................too bad, their loss.

Funny moment at MFCA; as many of you know, I like to wear soccer jerseys, they are colorful and comfortable, so Thursday night at dinner, I had on a Inter Milan jersey, black and light blue Perrelli Jersey, some Italian fella got all torqued off, started swearing at me in Italian as he was an AC Milan fan (yup, they were swears, like my Pops used to do when he hit his thumb with a hammer while doing home improvements), my dinner guests thought it was pretty comical..................on Saturday, I had on an AC Milan jersey, black and red, Fly Emirates.................so this fella sees me in the hallway with the AC Milan jersey, so his Italian friend asks me "We no understand, why you wear Inter Milan one day, AC Milan one day??!!"..........so my reply "Oh, this is simple; Thursday I had on light blue sneakers, today I have on red sneakers, the jersey has to match the sneakers, this is VERY important!!"....................

The look on the other fellas face when his friend translated...................priceless....................:wink2:.

I was told by a member here what I do with soccer jerseys would be like wearing a Red Sox jersey one day, then a Yankees the next......................If I have red sneakers on with the RS jersey and black with the MFY jersey, then it's all good........................

With soccer jerseys, it's all about the colors, the pattern/design and the cool logos............the teams, not so much.

I was told by a member here what I do with soccer jerseys would be like wearing a Red Sox jersey one day, then a Yankees the next......................If I have red sneakers on with the RS jersey and black with the MFY jersey, then it's all good........................

With soccer jerseys, it's all about the colors, the pattern/design and the cool logos............the teams, not so much.

A couple of nice ones for you :)

scarborough-fc-black-death-vodka_360_32a9e0c81613a946baac274558d3192c.jpg

One of my teams old shirts that was actually banned because of the dripping blood logo

images.jpg

A nice AC Milan shirt from years ago:)

Wayne...were you there...I looked for you to say hello... and didn't even see you???

Mike,

No I did not go. Info for the show seemed very vague compared to years past and I did not quite feel the enthusiasm to attend.
Hopefully things will be better next year. Was KingsX in attendance this year ? As I did not see any pics of them posted from the show.

Wayne

Mike,

No I did not go. Info for the show seemed very vague compared to years past and I did not quite feel the enthusiasm to attend.
Hopefully things will be better next year. Was KingsX in attendance this year ? As I did not see any pics of them posted from the show.

Wayne

no...KingsX did not attend at all...Amber came by Sunday just to visit and say hello to old friends...she's a sweetie!

Thank you, Carlos and Mark, for posting the pictures. It was apparently a smaller show, but in a first class venue.

Thanks Mike.....it was great chatting with you as well. As George said in the above post......we cannot put a value on the human interaction aspect. Seeing and meeting new people and putting names to some of the faces here on the forum is the one thing I cherished the most at this event.

Wayne (Running Buddy) and Jonathan (Brother Jonathan) were 2 other forum members I met and enjoyed spending some time with. These shows are great hobby-wise, especially when you can find things that you can't online but the social factor transcends all else.

Mark

Mark,
I am terrible with names myself but my first name is Howard not Wayne. Talking to other toy soldier collectors is as much or more fun than buying them. You can always buy soldiers but meeting new people and having conversations only happens for me at the shows. Like Mike Miller said I love the social aspect of the shows. I was happy to meet desk11desk12, Brother Jonathan, REVWARBUFF (you),
and seeing Mike Miller again. I have plans on attending the Texas Show again for as long as they keep it going.

Big Thanks to Britains and Martin at Davey Crockett’s Cabin for their effort in bringing it back to life.

Howard

Mark,
I am terrible with names myself but my first name is Howard not Wayne. Talking to other toy soldier collectors is as much or more fun than buying them. You can always buy soldiers but meeting new people and having conversations only happens for me at the shows. Like Mike Miller said I love the social aspect of the shows. I was happy to meet desk11desk12, Brother Jonathan, REVWARBUFF (you),
and seeing Mike Miller again. I have plans on attending the Texas Show again for as long as they keep it going.

Big Thanks to Britains and Martin at Davey Crockett’s Cabin for their effort in bringing it back to life.

Howard

Howard???

I thought your name was "Wheel's of Thunder"...^&grin...
but it was great to see you come rolling through...
and I'll keep going as long as they are doing the shows...
so I'll see you next year...

Mark,

Howard

Sorry about that Wayne.....I mean Howard!!! Seriously though, I don't know how I got your name wrong in my post. I apologize....:redface2:.

Once again it was great meeting you and your wife at the show. You said it best in that, "Talking to other toy soldier collectors is as much or more fun than buying them". I totally agree.

I hope we can meet again...........maybe at one of the shows here in NJ/PA area if you can make it.

Mark

no...KingsX did not attend at all...Amber came by Sunday just to visit and say hello to old friends...she's a sweetie!

Hi Mike,
Sad to say ‘KingsX’ is dead…
Delighted to report however that ‘King & Country Texas’ is alive and well and residing at :

5945 Broadway in Alamo Heights, San Antonio and the lovely Amber is there most days from 10am-5pm.
Very best wishes and happy collecting!
Andy.

Hi Mike,
Sad to say ‘KingsX’ is dead…
Delighted to report however that ‘King & Country Texas’ is alive and well and residing at :

5945 Broadway in Alamo Heights, San Antonio and the lovely Amber is there most days from 10am-5pm.
Very best wishes and happy collecting!
Andy.

Hello Andy...

really missed you and/or your crew...
hopefully next year...
was not the same without your smiling face and wonderful displays...
lots of people asked about you...lots...

I will learn your new name...
can't seem to forget the word "KingsX"...and start using "King & Country Texas"...lol...

Last edited:

I gotta tell Hershbell this one, George, he'll get a laugh out of it. We'll try to guess which Italian it was.
Probably the same one who asked us to make a mojito a couple of years ago in the hospitality suite. We just laughed at him.

Prost!
Brad

I gotta tell Hershbell this one, George, he'll get a laugh out of it. We'll try to guess which Italian it was.
Probably the same one who asked us to make a mojito a couple of years ago in the hospitality suite. We just laughed at him.

Prost!
Brad

He was torqued off at the Inter Milan shirt, puzzled and confused at the AC Milan shirt.

It was...........something.

Or, me being me.

Hello Andy...

really missed you and/or your crew...
hopefully next year...
was not the same without your smiling face and wonderful displays...
lots of people asked about you...lots...

I will learn your new name...
can't seem to forget the word "KingsX"...and start using "King & Country Texas"...lol...

When Andy is at a show, you can feel the vibe, he brings the juice to any show, collectors love to meet and speak with him, his room is THE place to be at Chicago...........well, other than the bar.........and maybe my room................;)................

Having him across the hall from me at Chicago the years prior to me becoming a K & C dealer was a real treat, he year by year gave me a gentle nudge to come on over and become a dealer, then Gary Kuepfert came to my room and asked me to come across the hall to the K & C room to see what I thought of his new "Blitzkrieg" range................it was tremendous, he was in, I was in..........the rest is history.

I have a **** ton of people to thank for me being where I am in this business today; Andy is just about at the top of that list, I am where I am thanks a great deal to him along with hundreds of customers over the years as well as other manufacturers who believed in me, supported me and allowed me to live a childhood dream, selling toy soldiers.

It's been a fun ride, it's far from over, I look forward to many more years of doing what I love to do...................................

When Andy is at a show, you can feel the vibe, he brings the juice to any show, collectors love to meet and speak with him, his room is THE place to be at Chicago...........well, other than the bar.........and maybe my room................;)................

Having him across the hall from me at Chicago the years prior to me becoming a K & C dealer was a real treat, he year by year gave me a gentle nudge to come on over and become a dealer, then Gary Kuepfert came to my room and asked me to come across the hall to the K & C room to see what I thought of his new "Blitzkrieg" range................it was tremendous, he was in, I was in..........the rest is history.

I have a **** ton of people to thank for me being where I am in this business today; Andy is just about at the top of that list, I am where I am thanks a great deal to him along with hundreds of customers over the years as well as other manufacturers who believed in me, supported me and allowed me to live a childhood dream, selling toy soldiers.

It's been a fun ride, it's far from over, I look forward to many more years of doing what I love to do...................................

George mate,

Great post cobber, but everybody who has met you knows that you are a "Legend". You may not think so, but that is what I tell all my old collectors in the Land Of OZ. I advise them in their lifetime they should at least once visit a Chicago TS Show and see Andy's room and then catch up at the Bar with "the Legend", "the Warrior", "the Minuteman" and especially the guy who could play a front rower for the Australian Rugby Team.

Stay safe and well, my good friend. Cheers Howard

Users who are viewing this thread

Back