The Army of Frederick the Great (1 Viewer)

I should add that the castings I got, like yours, John, are in good shape, in their primed state as they came from the studio. I've also gotten some individual pieces recently, that were just horribly painted, but a bath in SuperClean returned them to a clean state, revealing the fine details.

Prost!
Brad

I should add that the castings I got, like yours, John, are in good shape, in their primed state as they came from the studio. I've also gotten some individual pieces recently, that were just horribly painted, but a bath in SuperClean returned them to a clean state, revealing the fine details.

Prost!
Brad

Brad,

yes, like you I use paint stripper on badly painted castings because of the build up of old paint masks the sculpting.

I also tend to remove the factory undercoat too, and I apply a new coat, just so I know that the raw metal has been undercoated properly, I wouldn't want my paintwork to flake off !!!

As I finish these figures, in small batches, maybe 3 or 4, I'll post pics of them. I'm planning on a few different regiments, so to make the total group very colourful :)

John

Good news is that I have found my Bosniak Hussar, but he wasn't listed in your suggested figures ,,,, this one is a Romeo Models ROM54095

He is an officer posed leaning on a tree smoking a cigarette, wearing winter uniform, and his lance resting on the limb of the tree

View attachment 240987

John
Hi john beautifully painted figure as usual, just a note not your fault but someone should tell Romeo models that cigarettes were not invented until the 1860s although cigars were.

Regards John

Last edited:
Hi john beautifully painted figure as usual, just a note not your fault but someone should tell Romeo models that cigarettes were not invented until the 1860s although cigars were.

Regards John

Thanks for that info, I'll give his fag, a 'lick of' brown paint today, so the figure will be authentic :)

Great to hear from you again John,

John

My latest buy on EBay is this mounted 5th Regt Dragoon Drummer, by Tradition of London.

drum8.jpg

He's currently getting is repaint, so hope to display he later this week,

John

My latest buy on EBay is this mounted 5th Regt Dragoon Drummer, by Tradition of London.

View attachment 253426

John

Hi John,

Nice figure, one I have not seen before, what scale? I ask because it doesn't look like the usual Tradition figure.

Oberstinhaber

Hi John,

Nice figure, one I have not seen before, what scale? I ask because it doesn't look like the usual Tradition figure.

Oberstinhaber

It's a Tradition "54mm Model Soldier", from the "Prussian Army 1714-1786" part of that catalog. Here's the page for the Prussian dragoon drummer:

https://www.traditionoflondonshop.c...cts_id=2163&osCsid=84v6gdklddpg080lm7k7hh5il2

The kits are based on the old Stadden custom figure masters, just with oval bases added to the foot figures, and the base plate for the mounted figures like this one. They're closer to 56mm.

Prost!
Brad

It's a Tradition "54mm Model Soldier", from the "Prussian Army 1714-1786" part of that catalog. Here's the page for the Prussian dragoon drummer:

https://www.traditionoflondonshop.c...cts_id=2163&osCsid=84v6gdklddpg080lm7k7hh5il2

The kits are based on the old Stadden custom figure masters, just with oval bases added to the foot figures, and the base plate for the mounted figures like this one. They're closer to 56mm.

Prost!
Brad

Thanks, Brad.

It was the base that threw me out.

O

John

The drummer is now finished, and seen here with a fellow trooper from the 5th Regiment of Dragoons, a figure by Ulrich Puchala.

5thDrgDrum.jpg

I think I may get a couple more of the Tradition mounted Prussian troops, a Cuirassier and a Dragoon ??

John

Beautifully done! I like the eyes on both the horse and drummer especially.
-Squiggle

View attachment 253426

John

Hi John

So you’re the one who outbid me, it’s a great figure looking forward to seeing it completed in your paint style.

Kindest regards

The drummer is now finished, and seen here with a fellow trooper from the 5th Regiment of Dragoons, a figure by Ulrich Puchala.

View attachment 253475

I think I may get a couple more of the Tradition mounted Prussian troops, a Cuirassier and a Dragoon ??

John

Hi John just seen this after my last comment. Excellent job mate

Over the past month I have got some Ebay purchases ..... more castings to paint .....

Stadden ; Prussian Infantry from The Army of Frederick the Great.

A few are missing some parts, like spontoons for the officers and the end of a musket, and there was some minor bending that occurred in-transit, but all that can get fixed.

Keep a lookout here as I paint them and exhibit my work. They will be in batches of similar groups.

John

As promised, here are the first 4 form the batch I purchased earlier this year.

22regt.jpg

There is an officer and 2 musketeers of the 22nd Regt with a staff officer looking on.

The officer was missing is spontoon so that has been made with wire and a cast head from Prince August mould, while the staff officer's cane is also wire with some dobs of glue to enhance the definition of the gold top.

More to come .... not sure when :)

John

Here is another figure from the Army of Frederick the Great, he's a Red Hussar from the 8th Regiment

8Huss.jpg

He was listed on EBay as Napoleonic, and no maker, and partially assembled but I checked and found he was a 7YW Prussian by Tradition of London T54-391, so a great find a half the current cost of a casting :)

John

To change the subject on everyone' mind ......

I have been continuing may painting and this time is really rare set that John Eden had for sale on his eBay site last year.

It is an original set of castings, not a copy, by German make Hecker & Goros and titled "Manöverpause um 1760" or "Manoeuvre pause in 1760" according to the translator.

tav3.jpg

It looks like a scene in a tavern with a 1st Regt Dragoon confronting the owner while another 11th Regrt Dragoon is putting on his shoulder belt while a 9th Regt Cuirassier trumpeter leans back and a woman peers though the door.

When I get my diorama building out of storage I hope to pose these in better setup, but at the moment this all I can show ....

hgtavern5.jpg

I still have loads more casting to get painted, so if I'm in 'lock down' in the coming months, that will provide sanity :) unless I run out of paint :(

John

I’ve just caught up on this thread and, as usual, some beautiful work. Thank you John.

Brad

...It is an original set of castings, not a copy, by German make Hecker & Goros and titled "Manöverpause um 1760" ...

The vignette is based on a Menzel illustration. Duffy included it in his book, "The Army of Frederick the Great", but I haven't found a copy of the sketch online to share here. I didn't know that H&G ever made this, but I'm not surprised to learn they did.

Prost!
Brad

A post-script...

My search wasn't a total loss, though. The first hit returned was this page with a pdf of the H&G catalog from 1988:

http://lossoldaditosdeplomo.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/02/Catalogo-Hecker-Goros-_1988_.pdf

Last edited:
I should have thought of this before-I can take a picture of the page!

Here is the Menzel sketch...

I thought there was something different about the H&G grouping, compared to the sketch. I always thought the figure in the fur cap was an old woman, but H&G depicted it as a man. He's probably not the innkeeper, but some other civilian.

Also, the woman H&G includes in their set is their own addition. She's from one of their other catalogs, such as the Bavarian Alpine figures.

I've had it in mind to make a Kachelofen like the one in the tavern, but haven't gotten around to it.

This would make a nice little shadowbox scene.

Prost!
Brad

I should have thought of this before-I can take a picture of the page!

Here is the Menzel sketch...

I thought there was something different about the H&G grouping, compared to the sketch. I always thought the figure in the fur cap was an old woman, but H&G depicted it as a man. He's probably not the innkeeper, but some other civilian.

Also, the woman H&G includes in their set is their own addition. She's from one of their other catalogs, such as the Bavarian Alpine figures.

I've had it in mind to make a Kachelofen like the one in the tavern, but haven't gotten around to it.

This would make a nice little shadowbox scene.

Prost!
Brad

Brad,

thanks for the image of the sketch and the info on this set.

That was the same catalogue that I found, and I see that the woman is on page 3 as part as the Bavarians.

It may take a few weeks until I get into my diorama buildings, I'm current put all my collection, about 5000 figures, into storage while my toy soldier room is renovated. Hopefully it will be finished this week before any isolation comes into action. When that's here I'll have LOADS of time set them all up again,

John

Users who are viewing this thread

Back