The Average British Soldier (1 Viewer)

Untitled-3.jpg

The first line here should read that he protects the right of the people to have differing opinions and to express their patriotism in other ways than the state's or the majority.

The last line reads a bit hollow if the reader isn't British or lives in the US of A, India, Ireland, etc etc.

I hope the average British soldier can find some meaning in civilian life.

The first line here should read that he protects the right of the people to have differing opinions and to express their patriotism in other ways than the state's or the majority.

The last line reads a bit hollow if the reader isn't British or lives in the US of A, India, Ireland, etc etc.

I hope the average British soldier can find some meaning in civilian life.

What?^&confuse

Martin, great link.

I fail to see how burning poppies, spitting at soldiers and urinating on war memorials is showing patriotism in another way! Also when I was an average British soldier the only time I thought of the U.S. was when we were in Berlin or on exercise together, both waiting for the Soviet horde! And the Irish were the people that were killing my freinds!

Martin

"We have really everything in common with America nowadays except, of course, language."

Oscar Wilde, The Canterville Ghost, 1882

I fail to see how burning poppies, spitting at soldiers and urinating on war memorials is showing patriotism in another way! Also when I was an average British soldier the only time I thought of the U.S. was when we were in Berlin or on exercise together, both waiting for the Soviet horde! And the Irish were the people that were killing my freinds!

Martin

Don't worry about it mate, I'm not sure if it was an insult at our troops or not, but again thanks for posting I know a lot of people over here will appreciate it.

Regards

Rob

Martin

An example might be the British army in Boston in 1775. The colonists might think that the red coats were "our boys" marching out of Boston. Paul Revere even shouted that "The Regulars are Out!" After Lexington Green, Concord bridge, and Meriam's Corner the colonists considered them "The Redcoats" and Parliament's troops, NOT a force representing the local's best interests.

An example might be the British army in Boston in 1775. The colonists might think that the red coats were "our boys" marching out of Boston. Paul Revere even shouted that "The Regulars are Out!" After Lexington Green, Concord bridge, and Meriam's Corner the colonists considered them "The Redcoats" and Parliament's troops, NOT a force representing the local's best interests.

Scott,
I'm really struggling to understand where you're coming from with this.
This isn't about GB vs US, that was another thread sometime in the dim and distant past.
Nor is this compilation about the rights or wrongs of military involvement overseas. It is a tribute to the Average British Soldier. Pretty much as the title suggests. Please don't turn this in to something it's not.
Simon

Scott,
This isn't about GB vs US, that was another thread sometime in the dim and distant past.
Nor is this compilation about the rights or wrongs of military involvement overseas. It is a tribute to the Average British Soldier. Pretty much as the title suggests. Please don't turn this in to something it's not.
Simon

Very well said that man. It a shame that a personal agenda should be added to a tribute to our Soldiers who are out there risking their lives in the cause of freedom, with no mention of the superb job they are doing ouit there.

Rob

Scott,
Simon

Don't expect any common sense to be posted from someone who looked to discredit Stan's military wreath effort- the guy just doesn't make any sense on a lot of levels so I slapped him on the ignore list.

I for one have nothing but the deepest respect and regard for the brave British troops who fought alongside my family members and countrymen in France, Germany, the Pacific, Korea, Kuwait, Iraq, Afghanistan and Iraq.

I for one have nothing but the deepest respect and regard for the brave British troops who fought alongside my family members and countrymen in France, Germany, the Pacific, Korea, Kuwait, Iraq, Afghanistan and Iraq.

That my friend is much appreciated.

Rob

This is actually a chainmail that has been circulating from time to time- I had one with "American" inserted where "British" is now.

Pretty much agree except two key points a.) my girlfriend did wait for me and even honored me by accepting my marriage proposal and b.) no matter how hard the average British soldier tries, he is second to the average American soldier!! {sm4}{sm4}{sm4} All in good fun mates!!

some really nice pictures involved with this vid- thanks for the post Martin!!

That my friend is much appreciated.

Rob

I'm, at work so I have to be quick. I think the "100's of years " protecting freedom is inaccurate. The implication that soldiers protect the rights of those who "show disrespect" is a straw man to split people appart rather than to bring us together to honor soldiers. I'll be home tonight to carry on the discussion.

Currahee Chris,

Also the idea of desecrating Civil War soldier's graves with modern Christian Christmas trappings is as bad as putting pumpkins on them on Halloween because a loved one died then. In another example Skipping non-Christain graves at Arlington just separates American dead into tribes. BTW have those wreaths at Gettysburg been removed for the Spring yet by volunteers?

Constipation is really debilitating. Trooper

I'm surprised that the replies are Ad Nominin without any clearification of the film's statement that the average British soldier fought for "freedom" hundred's of years ago as opposed to his own country's interests. I see these types of videos on Youtube from also all nation that can figure out Youtube. Every country is proud of it's armies.

More later, back to work.

I'm surprised that the replies are Ad Nominin without any clearification of the film's statement that the average British soldier fought for "freedom" hundred's of years ago as opposed to his own country's interests. I see these types of videos on Youtube from also all nation that can figure out Youtube. Every country is proud of it's armies.

More later, back to work.

And there's the difference. I, and I believe the majority, are not suprised. Because I have taken the film for what it is - a tribute to the Average British Soldier. It's a simple enough concept and no doubt the inspiration behind the compilation, hinted at in it's title.
Not everything has to be twisted and picked at for a personal agenda.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back