The Average British Soldier (1 Viewer)

And there's the difference. I, and I believe the majority, are not suprised. Because I have taken the film for what it is - a tribute to the Average British Soldier. It's a simple enough concept and no doubt the inspiration behind the compilation, hinted at in it's title.
Not everything has to be twisted and picked at for a personal agenda.

Well said Simon, the agenda has come across loud and clear and its pretty sad. Its also pretty insulting on the day we lost a young female Soldier in action, but it is a case of the modern trend of ' I can insult so I will insult and to hell with everybody else' . Still I think the rest of us are very proud of what our troops and those of our Allies are doing out there. RIP Capt Lisa Jade head.

Rob

When did the average British soldier fight for "freedom" hundreds of years ago as the film noted? Isn't this a copy of an American email chain as someone noted? Reminds me of the soldiers at the airport/little girl/cell phone Email story that Snopes.com recorded as happening in several places in the US, Britain and Australia.

Isn't the "agenda" that the average British soldier is disrespected because he's a soldier fighting in this current set of conflicts? Reads like "them vs. us" The "them " isn't a "real" American or Briton in this case. I see a lot of this stuff in emails. It looks folksy and warm but it's sinister. Take another look.

When did the average British soldier fight for "freedom" hundreds of years ago as the film noted?

A few events spring to mind...^&grin^&grin^&grin

Battle of Hastings to resist the Norman Invasion

Peninsula Wars and Napoleonic Wars to resist the dictator Bonaparte

Cheers

Gazza

When did the average British soldier fight for "freedom" hundreds of years ago as the film noted? Isn't this a copy of an American email chain as someone noted? Reminds me of the soldiers at the airport/little girl/cell phone Email story that Snopes.com recorded as happening in several places in the US, Britain and Australia.

Isn't the "agenda" that the average British soldier is disrespected because he's a soldier fighting in this current set of conflicts? Reads like "them vs. us" The "them " isn't a "real" American or Briton in this case. I see a lot of this stuff in emails. It looks folksy and warm but it's sinister. Take another look.

If you don't like the post and you want to ignor it then do so, but please don't preach!

Martin

Those are more like territorial fights. You pretty much exchange one feudal chief for another. Heck, Napoleon was more of a liberator and a self made man.
Other conflicts we like to recreate in miniature were colonial ventures against local freedom fighters.

When you get to WWII, then there's a case.

If you don't like the post and you want to ignor it then do so, but please don't preach!

Martin

Heck no...I want to comment on it within the rules of this forum. I think it's a sappy piece of propaganda. Kipling said it all better a hundred years ago in Tommy.

I read a study of the British Soldier in North America. The author had facts and documentation from several British Regiments serving in America to make his point. The point was not political. They were not evil men, but complicated and certainly interesting. The book was a better case for "average."

I don't think that the snubbing is confined to two Englishmen only.
Currahee Chris, thanks for the reminder on the "ignore" option.
Konrad

Quotes of Wellington from Notes of Conversations with the Duke of Wellington (1886) by Philip Henry Stanhope

"The French system of conscription brings together a fair sample of all classes; ours is composed of the scum of the earth — the mere scum of the earth. It is only wonderful that we should be able to make so much out of them afterwards."

"A French army is composed very differently from ours. The conscription calls out a share of every class — no matter whether your son or my son — all must march; but our friends — I may say it in this room — are the very scum of the earth. People talk of their enlisting from their fine military feeling — all stuff — no such thing. Some of our men enlist from having got bastard children — some for minor offences — many more for drink; but you can hardly conceive such a set brought together, and it really is wonderful that we should have made them the fine fellows they are."

* Notes for 11 November 1831

I don't think that the snubbing is confined to two Englishmen only.
Currahee Chris, thanks for the reminder on the "ignore" option.
Konrad

Ditto that Konrad,

Rob

If you look on Youtube you'll see a number of similar tributes to The Average American Soldier with almost the same words. I've even seen one for the Libyan Army. I've pointed out that the Average British Soldier video is inaccurate historically and divisive politically and given evidence of my points.

certainly would not like to meet an average brit soldier and comment in such a manner. The person may just have his teeth kicked in by that very average brit soldier
Mitch

If you look on Youtube you'll see a number of similar tributes to The Average American Soldier with almost the same words. I've even seen one for the Libyan Army. I've pointed out that the Average British Soldier video is inaccurate historically and divisive politically and given evidence of my points.

Is it just the Brits you have problems with or do you hold negitive feelings towards all soldiers ?

The St. George's thread and this one have turned into odd ones I have to say ^&confuse

You see the idea that the Average British Soldier might react that way doesn't impress me. He'd be enforcing conformity rather than freedom.
What would really impress me is if the "average soldier" was well educated from a financially successful background. That "average soldier" has more to loose and a greater obligation. It doesn't say much about a society can only offer social mobility to the poor and under educated through the military although it continues to be true since there were the first soldiers.

Is it just the Brits you have problems with or do you hold negitive feelings towards all soldiers ?

I have no idea how you'd get that one. I've quoted Kipling and The Duke of Wellington in my replies so you must have some notion that I've read some history. I'm just not impressed with propaganda even it's about the "good guys." Britain has been on the US side or the US on Britain's since WW I, and the Boxer Rebellion, but Britain has pretty much fought for it's own gain, just like all nations, so the term "freedom" shouldn't be thrown about lightly.

I don't think anybody has any idea of what you are trying to say so why don't you come out and clearly say so.

Right now, you seem to be digging yourself a very deep hole.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back