The defense of McPherson's Ridge, Gettysburg, July 1st 1863 (1 Viewer)

Warrior

Lieutenant General
Following the successful defense of McPherson's Ridge in the morning of July 1st by Wadsworth's Division, there was a lull in the fighting till around 2:00pm.

At that point, Harry Heth brought forward his remaining two brigades under Brockenbrough and Pettigrew for another attempt to capture the ridge. On the Union side, Doubleday was commanding the 1st Corps after Reynolds was killed, so Thomas Rowley replaced him as divisional commander and led forward his division, which consisted of the brigades of Stone and Biddle.

Last edited:
Stone placed his men, the 143rd, 149th and 150th PA north of the Iron Brigade around the McPherson's house and barn. The Iron Brigade defended the Herbst Woods, while Biddle's men, the 121st and 142nd PA and the 80th NY, were south of the Iron Brigade, supported by Coopers Battery. The 55th, 47th, 40th and 22nd VA under Brockenbrough attacked towards the McPherson barn and house, with the 32nd NC supporting their left flank.

The 26th, 11th, 47th and 52nd NC under Pettigrew attacked across Willoughby Run and ran right into the Iron Brigade who again were defending the Herbst Woods.

Last edited:
Further south, more of Pettigrew's men attacked towards Biddle's brigade, putting extreme pressure on the entire Union line.

Last edited:
Pettigrew's troops flanked the Iron Brigade, forcing it to withdraw, while Brockenbrough was able to push Stone's men back, while further to the south, Biddle's men were also pushed back; the entire Union line gave way and Doubleday ordered the Union forces back to Seminary Ridge under the cover of their artillery.

Last edited:
That is one heck of a diorama. What a fantastic job. Who made the figures on Your dio? Also how long did it take You to do the dio? Thanks for the great photos and the history lesson. {bravo}} {bravo}}

Your dioramas are always a delight to view George, especially the ACW themes. This series of photos is really well done . . . . .
:smile2: Mike

That is one heck of a diorama. What a fantastic job. Who made the figures on Your dio? Also how long did it take You to do the dio? Thanks for the great photos and the history lesson. {bravo}} {bravo}}

Thanks very much, glad you like it. The figures are all 20mm metal figures, manufacturers include Qualitycast, Kennington, Newline Designs, Musket Miniatures, Frontier, Confederals and Dixon just to name a few.

It took me about two hours to plan this one and about four hours to set it all up.

Your dioramas are always a delight to view George, especially the ACW themes. This series of photos is really well done . . . . .
:smile2: Mike

Thanks Mike, glad you like it.

This area of the battlefield facinates me, so much more to it than most people realize.

I am heading to Gettysburg in about two weeks for a couple of days, will spend most of my time in this area, there is a nice trail down to the rock quarrie, plus a lot of that land is now in National Park hands.

I messed up this diorama due to size restrictions, did not represent Herbst Woods correctly, plus the Iron Brigade was further out than I depicted here, I might do another one at some point focusing on the action around the McPherson farm, the Herbst Woods and the rock quarrie....................

You messed up in a very nice way George and thanks for spending the time setting it up and photographing it. Looking forward to what you have next headed our way..........Joe:salute:::salute:::salute:::salute:::salute:::salute::

Thanks Joe, glad to see you back on the forum, hope you are feeling better, nice to speak with you the other day............:salute::

Thanks George for displaying your fine diorama for viewing. Better then any magazine pictures. I been re-reading my Gettysburg books and this fits right in. John:salute::

Thanks George for displaying your fine diorama for viewing. Better then any magazine pictures. I been re-reading my Gettysburg books and this fits right in. John:salute::

Thanks John, glad you like it, nice to see you at OTSN.

I'm re-reading a couple of my Gettysburg books too, currently reading Crisis at the Crossroads...........

Magnificent George-simply magnificent.

Using your incredible dioramas and ACW knowledge you should lecture on this stuff in colleges. No doubt it would go down a storm

Bob

Magnificent George-simply magnificent.

Using your incredible dioramas and ACW knowledge you should lecture on this stuff in colleges. No doubt it would go down a storm

Bob

Thanks for the kind words Bob, yourself and Mike Estell have forgotten more about the ACW than I know......:wink2:

I really enjoy doing this dioramas, researching the terrain and troop positions, then laying it all out, then viewing it for a few weeks until I am ready to take it all down and get started on another one.............very much looking forward to my trip to Gettysburg in a few weeks as well, my once a year pilgrimage to the most sacred ground this country has to offer..........

Thanks John, glad you like it, nice to see you at OTSN.

I'm re-reading a couple of my Gettysburg books too, currently reading Crisis at the Crossroads...........
Just found this. Love it, as usual, as I am a sucker for anything Gettysburg, especially the First day. Like Hassler's book, as well. It was the first book I read dealing with the First Day, specifically. -- Al

Thanks Al, glad you like it and you are right, it's great book.

I see you are back to your ACW dio's George. It's all good tho as im happy to keep looking at these displays until you are ready to do another WW2 dio.

Tom

Thanks Tom, have a few ideas I'm trying to sort out for WWII..........

Terrific pics George, I really enjoy your ACW scenes and this is another top job. I bet you had fun setting all that up mate eh?!:smile2:

Rob

Users who are viewing this thread

Back