The First Sudan War (2 Viewers)

mikemiller1955

Lieutenant General
John Jenkin's...

The First Sudan War...

I'm curious...

who is going to collect these Gordons...

I ordered GDH-01...2 figures loading...

does anyone else plan to collect this series...

JJDsudan2Sm5B15D.jpg

GSQUARE128L29.jpg

GDH-0128L29.jpg

JJ-1.jpg

1003270167rev.jpg

JJ.jpg

JJ02.jpg

John Jenkin's...

The First Sudan War...

I'm curious...

JJDsudan2Sm5B15D.jpg

GSQUARE128L29.jpg

GDH-0128L29.jpg

JJ-1.jpg

1003270167rev.jpg

JJ.jpg

JJ02.jpg

Hi Mike,

I am picking up these tomorrow at the London show. :cool: I have the Gordon at Khatoum sets and this is what made my mind up about going down the JJD route for my Sudan collection.

Jeff

Really good looking sculpts.10 years ago I would have died to see these come out but my interests have changed so no go for me.
Mark

They look good......but I dont need to start another JJD series. To much other stuff already to catch up on.

I guess if the Quebec series ends or slows :( the Sudan war would be a great set to start collecting .....so far I do not have anything from that historical period in my collection .........but I am sure I will purchase some no matter what !!!!!!

Being a fan of the Victorian era, I will have to have some of these. Don't know how extensive I can afford to let it get, but I really like the period and figures I have seen. The Gatling is a must. May not get any opposition figures, though. -- Al

John Jenkin's...

The First Sudan War...

I'm curious...

JJDsudan2Sm5B15D.jpg

GSQUARE128L29.jpg

GDH-0128L29.jpg

JJ-1.jpg

1003270167rev.jpg

JJ.jpg

JJ02.jpg

Mike

How many sets of these are you getting to make your square?
I hope you will do a huge dining-room table size dio with palm trees and the K&C desert village. Looks like you will be having lots of desert playtime in the coming months.

Sudan Tunic colours:

I notice John has changed the tunic color from blue-grey to grey. WB's Highlanders have the blue-grey.

Attachments

• JJDsudan2Sm5B15D.jpg
    JJDsudan2Sm5B15D.jpg
    56.3 KB · Views: 462
  • GDH-0128L29.jpg
    GDH-0128L29.jpg
    78.7 KB · Views: 467
  • 27007.jpg
    27007.jpg
    70.3 KB · Views: 459
The historical period doesn't interest me much - would have preferred something like Bushy Run - BUT the sculpts are too good to pass up. This looks like some of John's best work. So I'm in.

The Victorian Era is what interests me the most. It's unbelieveable to have several different manufacturers doing matte War in the Sudan and Zulu war at the same time.
I'll be getting all the JJD Sudan War line.

John's new Sudan War series starting w/ the Gordons are a must for me. Will have to cut back on some other line if money gets tight.

Somebody reply to this...

it may be my eyes or the angle of the photos...

but does it look like John scaled down the Martini-Henry from the original sculpt...

maybe it's the picture...but the rifle looks considerably shorter and scaled down...

I just sent him an email with a bunch of questions...that included...along with Randy's comment on the tunics and I asked him about the kilt also...it looks less it has royal blue in it...

but it may be my eyes...:confused:

Sudan Tunic colours:

I notice John has changed the tunic color from blue-grey to grey. WB's Highlanders have the blue-grey.

Yes, he appeared to, but the paint job on the kilts do look better. This is a definite series to collect. I am expecially waiting for his river gunboat.

Ken

Yes, he appeared to, but the paint job on the kilts do look better. This is a definite series to collect. I am expecially waiting for his river gunboat.

Ken

John had mentioned camels, gunboats, artillery, lancers, Royal Marines and naval brigades...all possibilities...

I don't know what will come to fruition...but his options are unlimited...

I suppose a gunboat would require a whole new series of figures...

that would be a huge commitment on his part...:eek:

I guess time will tell...

John had mentioned camels, gunboats, artillery, lancers, Royal Marines and naval brigades...all possibilities...

I don't know what will come to fruition...but his options are unlimited...

I suppose a gunboat would require a whole new series of figures...

that would be a huge commitment on his part...:eek:

I guess time will tell...

A gunboat could be a collectors club option.

Jeff

Wonder about doing it in pieces say a bit each month and they all connect together. Would be easier on the collectors wallets and also would show John some commitment as those who ordered the 1st pieces are pretty much guaranteed to purchased the following pieces.

Somebody reply to this...

it may be my eyes or the angle of the photos...

but does it look like John scaled down the Martini-Henry from the original sculpt...

maybe it's the picture...but the rifle looks considerably shorter and scaled down...

I just sent him an email with a bunch of questions...that included...along with Randy's comment on the tunics and I asked him about the kilt also...it looks less it has royal blue in it...

but it may be my eyes...:confused:

Not sure I know what you mean - but if you're comparing the JJ figure to the Britains - John's is a Gordon (92nd Highlanders) w/ the Gordon plaid kilt, while the Britains is the 42nd Highlanders wearing a Black Watch kilt.
Each regiment wore it's own pattern of kilt.

Not sure I know what you mean - but if you're comparing the JJ figure to the Britains - John's is a Gordon (92nd Highlanders) w/ the Gordon plaid kilt, while the Britains is the 42nd Highlanders wearing a Black Watch kilt.
Each regiment wore it's own pattern of kilt.

These are the pics we were referring to...not the Britains...noticeably different...

JJDsudan2Sm5B15D-1.jpg

GDH-0128L29.jpg

Here are illustrations from Michael Perry's article on British Sudan War uniforms

left Gordon Highlanders
right Black Watch Highlanders

note differences in sporrans as well as kilts

Both shown in grey tunics--in the article by Perry they are described as serge grey. I have yet to see or locate actual tunics worn in the Sudan by both the Camel Corps and the Highlanders. Toy soldier companies have done them in both the blue-grey and serge grey. If anyone has access to actual tunics I would like to know the actual color.

Attachments

• SudanHighlanders.jpg
    SudanHighlanders.jpg
    62.5 KB · Views: 224

Users who are viewing this thread

Back