The First Sudan War (1 Viewer)

Here is a discussion from the Victorian Wars Forum on the grey uniforms worn in the Sudan. One of the members has one from the KRRC (King's Royal Rifle Corps)

KRRC uniform identification
by wawine » 09 Aug 2008 17:19
I am seeking help in identifying a uniform that I just picked up. It is a named and dated (1883) KRRC officer's kit with some rather odd characteristics. Instead of being green, and with the usual frogging and lace on the front, it is a pale grey/khaki serge, single breasted and unlined. It has matching trousers, and a roll collar mess dress jacket, fully lined, in the same color scheme. My assumption was that is was to a volunteer unit, but the rather loose weave serge and lack of lining leads me to believe it may be one of the hot climate 'grey' uniforms issued to the KRRC for Egypt prior to the issuing of Khaki Drill in 1884. The buttons and facings on the collar and cuff are clearly KRRC, as are the twisted black and red cord shoulder straps with black Lt. pip, but I have never seen reference to a single breasted KRRC officer uniform either volunteer or regular army, except for the KD uniform. I am new to this blog, and have not figured out how to post a photo. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
wawine

Re: KRRC uniform identification
by mike snook » 10 Aug 2008 00:52
A photo would be useful but certainly there was an issue of grey uniforms to the troops in Egypt/Sudan in the period 1883-early 85. This was superseded at that latter juncture by khaki. The infantry battalions that fought under Sir Gerald Graham in the 84 expediton to Suakin (Battles of 2nd El Teb and Tamai) wore grey. 3rd Bn KRRC were in Graham's force and at both battles.

The troops that went down the Nile for the Gordon relief expedtion in the summer of 84 also wore grey. The infantry battalions in the River Column (no KRRC) had grey trousers as well as tunics, while the camel regiments in the Desert Column wore grey tunics over Bedford cord riding breeches in a sort of yellow/buff/ochre colour. There were three KRRC sections in the Mounted Infantry Camel Regiment (MICR) of the Desert Column. The 3rd Bn KRRC section under Lt Percy Marling VC was in A Coy MICR, whilst the 1st and 2nd Bn sections under Lts Willliam 'Johnny' Campbell and Archibald Miles respectively were both in C (Rifles) Coy MICR under Capt Richard Fetherstonhaugh, (Fanshaw to you and me!), also a KRRC officer. They all fought at Abu Klea and Abu Kru. Of course any KRRC officer on the HQ or logistic staffs of these various Sudanese expeditons would also have worn grey.

By the time of Graham's 1885 Suakin expedtion (Battles of Hashin and Tofrek) a mixture of grey and khaki was being worn. There were no KRRC battalions involved, though there may have been a KRRC section or two in the composite MI regiment. I could probably find out if you were desperate.

Attachments

• KRRC.jpg
    KRRC.jpg
    24.2 KB · Views: 348
Grey Tunics and trousers appear in the British Army in the 1860s and 1870s

1. 1868 33rd Regt Abyssinian War
3. 1874 Black Watch Ashanti War

Figures by Wm. Hocker

I have also read that the grey serge uniforms had been shipped to Egypt for the 1882 Anglo-Egyptian War but they were not issued until 1884 for the 1st Sudan War.

The grey is sometimes referred to as khaki/grey as well as serge grey

Attachments

• 33rdRegt1868.jpg
    33rdRegt1868.jpg
    76.2 KB · Views: 432
  • BlackWatch1874.jpg
    BlackWatch1874.jpg
    87 KB · Views: 479
British Volunteer Regiments also wore grey in the Victorian Era

1. Rifleman, 13th Middlesex Volunteer Rifle Corps, 1862

2. 3rd Middlesex Rifle Volunteers 1882

Attachments

• MiddlesexRV1862.jpg
    MiddlesexRV1862.jpg
    83.4 KB · Views: 423
  • MiddlesexRVSm.jpg
    MiddlesexRVSm.jpg
    16.4 KB · Views: 1,116
Originally Posted by GICOP

From Martyn:
"Here is a shot of 4 RMLI (Royal Marine Light Infantry) in grey uniform, only worn on active service by British soldiers during the Egyptian War campaign"

Perry Illus for comparison

Shown here wearing grey but with white pipe clayed helmet, pouches and belts, rather than the more usual stained finish, as observed by Count Gleichen of the Camel Corp.

Attachments

• RMLITEKSm.jpg
    RMLITEKSm.jpg
    93.8 KB · Views: 409
  • RMSudan.jpg
    RMSudan.jpg
    24.2 KB · Views: 314
I have already pre-ordered the entire run as it is realeased from my John Jenkins dealer.:)

Randy...he just answered my question about the tunics...he said it's 2AM there...he's up late...probably watching soccer...hehehehe...

and I'm not clear on the answer he gave me on the colors...I responded for clarification...but don't expect a reply today...when he gets back to me...I'll try to clear it up better...

Okay...I just got a clarification on the two different Gordons...

If I understand correctly...

the photo of the single figure...with the blue tunic was actually a resin sculpt made over 2 years ago...

JJDsudan2Sm5B15D-1.jpg

the photo of set GDH-01...is the more "refined" and actual set being produced...

GDH-0128L29.jpg

the uniform colors were based on the color prints from the following...

British Uniforms of Queen Victoria’s Little Wars 1837-1902 Volume 2 by Timothy J. Reese...

so they should be "spot on"...

Well...the later version is exactly right, and those uniforms bleached out quickly in the sun. First rate job on the kilt as well.

Okay...I just got a clarification on the two different Gordons...

If I understand correctly...

the photo of the single figure...with the blue tunic was actually a resin sculpt made over 2 years ago...

JJDsudan2Sm5B15D-1.jpg

the photo of set GDH-01...is the more "refined" and actual set being produced...

GDH-0128L29.jpg

the uniform colors were based on the color prints from the following...

British Uniforms of Queen Victoria’s Little Wars 1837-1902 Volume 2 by Timothy J. Reese...

so they should be "spot on"...

This is the source that Michael is referring to--it is a CD
Sample illustration from volume on Zulu War

Attachments

• queen-victorias-little-wars-vol-2-l.jpg
    queen-victorias-little-wars-vol-2-l.jpg
    52.5 KB · Views: 334
  • 24th-regiment.jpg
    24th-regiment.jpg
    44.8 KB · Views: 2,239
This may help on some direction for the First Sudan War series...

If I understand John correctly...

he already has 12 Gordon's in production...

with 4 more he is working on currently...

he has not yet started any officers, pipers etc...

a suitable amount of Mahdist will be next...

you have seen the pictures of the Naval Brigade with the Gatling gun...:D

Marines are in the works...

these figures work perfectly for the Battle of El Teb

or the Battle of Tamai...

both engagements with almost identical forces led by Major General Graham against the Sudanese Jihadists Arabs led by Osman Digna...

two weeks separated these battles...the battles were fought over the same area in which Baker Pasha's Egyptian forces had been annihilated the previous month...

hope this helps...

http://britishbattles.com/egypt-1882/el-teb.htm

http://britishbattles.com/egypt-1882/tamai.htm

Well Louis...I see you don't play around...gotta like a guy that can make his mind up and knows what he wants...:D

They are only coming out one or two sets a month . . . I prefer to let my dealer know I want the run in advance, this way, I don't have to chase after the figures or worry about missing out if I forget to call one month.

Here's a photo from the current London show. Gordon tunics look more blue here don't you think? Or are these resin prototypes? Perhaps someone will be able to buy one of the 1st Gordon sets and post pictures.

Attachments

• London%20June%202010%20011.jpg
    London%20June%202010%20011.jpg
    29 KB · Views: 298
From Cavalry Uniforms of Britain and the Commonwealth including Other Mounted Troops by Robert and Christopher Wilkinson-Latham London, 1969

Shows and describes the Sudan Camel Corps Tunic as grey

Attachments

• CamelCorpsGrey.jpg
    CamelCorpsGrey.jpg
    95.3 KB · Views: 2,034
These illustrations are reproduced in 2 Osprey books:

The British Army on Campaign #4 1882-1902
Khartoum 1885: Gordon's Last Stand

In the 1st volume they have a more bluish tint while in the 2nd more grey.
As Scarlet Pimpernel posted previously the desert sun likely changed the colors over time. All, however, were issued as serge grey.

1. A & B Pvt. 1st Bn. Grenadier Guards (Camel Corps) 1884
2. A & B Lt. KRRC Mtd. Infantry Camel Regt. 1884-1885

Attachments

• CamelCorpsGGblue.jpg
    CamelCorpsGGblue.jpg
    95.6 KB · Views: 324
  • CamelCorpsGGgrey.jpg
    CamelCorpsGGgrey.jpg
    94.4 KB · Views: 315
  • CamelCorpsKRRCblue.jpg
    CamelCorpsKRRCblue.jpg
    92.5 KB · Views: 385
  • CamelCorpsKRRCgrey.jpg
    CamelCorpsKRRCgrey.jpg
    93.5 KB · Views: 311
What I would most like to see are examples of actual uniform tunics in the serge grey that have survived and are in private or public collections. Do any forum members know if these exist and if so where?

Thanks,

Your Obsessive Researcher

Connoissseur Quality Black Watch Highlander, Battle of Tamai 1884
grey serge tunic

Attachments

• BlackWatchTamai.jpg
    BlackWatchTamai.jpg
    91.9 KB · Views: 658
Randy...

I took these photos off the London thread...the Jenkins and the Wm. Brits...

they look pretty similar...don't you think...very close to me...

I'm wondering if the photo you posted from the London show of the Jenkin's has been color edited...

both of these seem to match the bluer uniforms from your Osprey book...

they seem pretty close to me...what do you think...

even if you don't agree...I think you will agree that they match each other...but they look pretty close to me...

for the closest references to how they actually will look...

I think I would have to defer to the Jenkin's professional photos...

actually on the connoisseur figure you posted...I don't see any green in his kilt to match the Osprey pictures of kilts with green in both of them...

071.jpg

097.jpg

27008.jpg

GDH-0128L29.jpg

I'm holding one in my hand and it seems more grey than blue, I will post some photos tomorrow.

Jeff

I'm holding one in my hand and it seems more grey than blue, I will post some photos tomorrow.

Jeff

Thank you Jeff...if it's not impossible...do you think there is anyway you might get a clear shot of a Jenkin's next to a Wm. Brits...

I would like to see how they match up...

I would appreciate that...:D

thank you in advance...;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back