The revenant. (1 Viewer)

I just watched it on HBO last night. As Denver pointed out he must have had speed loaders for that flintlock pistol. Liked it didn't think it was the greatest movie of all time. My main problem was I could not understand anything that Fitzpatrick said and others were also hard to understand. It was easier when they spoke indian and there were sub titles. Anyone know where it was filmed?
Gary

agreed...saw it at the theater and had no clue to the garbled dialog...finally got the movie and watched it with captions...great show...

Saw it in the theater and liked it, but like others stated a bit long. One problem I had was there were like 30 people in the search party when they found out there was a survior in the wilderness. But only two when they set out for a criminal who had robbed the fort. ^&confuse

And Gass only survived because his real life ordeal happened during the summer, not winter when he would have died of hypothermia. Chris

I did not know it was based on a true life story. The whole time I watched the movie I thought how people in those days must have stunk!
Gary

I always wondered where Lucas got the idea to have Solo stuff Skywalker into the corpse of the taun-taun to keep him warm. Now I know. All that is old becomes new again if you wait long enough.:wink2: -- Al

I did not know it was based on a true life story. The whole time I watched the movie I thought how people in those days must have stunk!
Gary

The isolation and hardship must have enomorous in those days. I guess they were used to it to some extent, but even in our own lifetime if you went back to the days not so long ago before cell phones, the Internet, and TV (gasp) signing off the air around midnight it would be deemed a state of national emergency. People have dumbed down and softened up with technological advances. There is a word for it but as technology advances, it has a countervailing impact on survival of the fittest. Not only allowing the dumb to survive, but even to prosper.

I always wondered where Lucas got the idea to have Solo stuff Skywalker into the corpse of the taun-taun to keep him warm. Now I know. All that is old becomes new again if you wait long enough.:wink2: -- Al

Reminds me of a Jack London story I read in school of a man in Alaska during the Gold Rush, travelling with his dog thru the wilderness. He falls in a river and tries to kill the dog to keep from losing his hands. To Build a Fire is the title, similar circumstances. Chris

I saw this yesterday and I have to say it's an extremely thought provoking and intense movie. The realism was incredible although the gory scenes were painful to watch. I can see why Leo was nominated for the Oscar as his performance was outstanding. The other actors performances were also outstanding and the scenery was brilliant although I felt I needed to rug up in the cinema as it was very brrrr cold to watch!

If you don't have a weak stomach then I definitely recommend this one.

Tom

Saw this on HBO tonight and thought it was really good. Beautiful photography but brutal and hard to watch. Hardy and Dicaprio were brilliant. -- Al

I finally saw this tonight and thought it was outstanding although I realized that the true story was different. DiCaprio and Hardy were very good and people were obviously hardier than now. I didn't think it was too long.

It reminded me of the time we visited my son in Utah in December when he was in the wilderness. We were dressed warmly and although it was about 10 F during the day the sun made it feel warm. However, once the sun went down it got very cold. I think it went down to -20 F. Thank goodness for a very warm sleeping bag. I was still cold anyway. The highlight was seeing wild horses. Had the camera not been frozen I would have taken a photo.

When I want to complain about the cold, I think back to that December.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back