The Singapore Sets (1 Viewer)

Sorry if i opened a new thread under the heading "Singapore Surrender".Mine was centered on the identity of the officers of the surrender party.The administrators can merge the thread with this one if they deem it opportune.

Glad that I will soon have a K&C collection on Singapore/Malaya's WW2 history :)

I really don't see that. It is a humbling moment in history, but also a moment in history. Let me put it this way, if K & C made figures commemorating the attack on Pearl Harbor, I would purchase them as I gather a lot of other people would.

Brad

Or the bombing of Darwin,more bombs where dropped on Darwin than Pearl harbor.

I usually don't collect pacific sets. I have enough trying to keep up with the few other series I get that K&C makes. I have already ordered the Singapore set, only the British. An article I posted a while back in the books,mags, and articles section explains the reason. My collection has a section in honor of Sgt.George Forbes Lees of the 9th Coast reg. Royal Artillery. Sgt Lees was captured at the fall of Singapore, and subsequently executed (beheaded) on 21/02/1942 for trying to escape. Sgt. Lees was my wife's Grandfather. I would like to see K&C do some more sets of important but less visited moments in WW2. Singapore is a good start.

I usually don't collect pacific sets. I have enough trying to keep up with the few other series I get that K&C makes. I have already ordered the Singapore set, only the British. An article I posted a while back in the books,mags, and articles section explains the reason. My collection has a section in honor of Sgt.George Forbes Lees of the 9th Coast reg. Royal Artillery. Sgt Lees was captured at the fall of Singapore, and subsequently executed (beheaded) on 21/02/1942 for trying to escape. Sgt. Lees was my wife's Grandfather. I would like to see K&C do some more sets of important but less visited moments in WW2. Singapore is a good start.

RR,

I recall your thread to which I replied with a short account of my parent's experiences in the WWII. Once again, I am saddened to read of the cruel execution of your wife's grandfather.

My mother endured and survived the brutal reign of terror in Singapore from 1942 to 1945. My father was interned as a POW along with other Allied soldiers in Hong Kong after it fell on Christmas Day 1941. He managed to escape with a mate and crossed into mainland China. If my father had been in Singapore, he would have been executed by the Kempeitai (a Gestapo equivalent) under the Sook Ching Operation.

Raymond.

Dear John:

Yes, I recall your prior comments about your wife's Grandfather & the Fall of Singapore in Feb. 1942. I thought of you when I just saw the book "The Fogotten Highlander" for sale for only $5.95 or $6.95 again in the discount bookseller catalog that I get each month or so from "Edward R. Hamilton Bookseller" in CT, USA. If you do have this book yet you can go Online under the seller's name noted above to see a list of all their books & DVD's for sale. The above noted book is an autobiography of a British soldier captured in Singapore by the Japanese Army in mid February 1942. Anyone who has any connection to Singapore would really like this book. By the way, I hope your wife liked the Trophy set I sold to you that you gave her as a Christmas gift!

"Iron Brigade" / Gary

Mike,

K&C might consider future sets for Operation Jaywick and Operation Struggle.

Link: http://www.dva.gov.au/aboutDVA/publications/commemorative/jaywick/Pages/index.aspx

Link: http://www.mindef.gov.sg/imindef/about_us/history/world_war2/v09n07_history.html

There is scope for additional sets, but I am not sure of interest among collectors.

Raymond.:)

Dear Raymond:
I recall reading a book about "Operation Jaywick" from many years ago now. I of course remember much more of the "Forgotten Highlander" book published in very recent years which was about the horrible experiences of a Scotish or British soldier who was captured in mid February 1942 in Singapore and ended up working on the Japanese railroad far to the North of Singapore and finally ended up in Japan by the end of WW2. It was very lucky for your father and in turn for you that he was able to escape from his POW camp in or near Hong Kong early on after his inturnment there. As I recall you had previously stated that you liked reading the book I just noted above. Your two Online links about Singapore in WW2 that you posted yesterday were interesting, thanks for posting them!
Regards, Gary

Dear Raymond:
I recall reading a book about "Operation Jaywick" from many years ago now. I of course remember much more of the "Forgotten Highlander" book published in very recent years which was about the horrible experiences of a Scotish or British soldier who was captured in mid February 1942 in Singapore and ended up working on the Japanese railroad far to the North of Singapore and finally ended up in Japan by the end of WW2. It was very lucky for your father and in turn for you that he was able to escape from his POW camp in or near Hong Kong early on after his inturnment there. As I recall you had previously stated that you liked reading the book I just noted above. Your two Online links about Singapore in WW2 that you posted yesterday were interesting, thanks for posting them!
Regards, Gary

Dear Gary,

I referenced my copy of the "Forgotten Highlander" which you so kindly gave me as a gift for Christmas 2010. The author is Alistair Urquhart who was born in Aberdeen, Scotland in 1919. He was conscripted into the Gordon Highlanders and his unit was assigned the defence of General Percival's GHQ at Fort Canning, Singapore. His harrowing story as a POW after the Fall of Singapore is best summed up as one of unimaginable hardship and suffering. He had a tremendous will to live in the face of extreme mental and physical adversity. This is one facet of war that often goes unrecognised and the title of the author's book attests to this.

Best Wishes, Raymond.

Dear Gary,

I referenced my copy of the "Forgotten Highlander" which you so kindly gave me as a gift for Christmas 2010. The author is Alistair Urquhart who was born in Aberdeen, Scotland in 1919. He was conscripted into the Gordon Highlanders and his unit was assigned the defence of General Percival's GHQ at Fort Canning, Singapore. His harrowing story as a POW after the Fall of Singapore is best summed up as one of unimaginable hardship and suffering. He had a tremendous will to live in the face of extreme mental and physical adversity. This is one facet of war that often goes unrecognised and the title of the author's book attests to this.

Best Wishes, Raymond.

Dear Raymond:

A most well written summary of the book "Forgotten Highlander" by you as usual.

Have a Happy Chinese Lunar New Year of the Dragon!

Best regards, Gary

Very nice set from K&C lucky to go to Singapore years ago on a stop over to Australia and had a good look at the British big gun bunkers on one of small islands in Singapore harbor

Users who are viewing this thread

Back