The Singapore Sets (1 Viewer)

UKReb

Command Sergeant Major
Might surprise some of the froggers who know me on here as being a non WWII collector (gave it up after my Tamiya period) but the two Singapore sets are definitely on my list of "must haves".

The surrender set is simply a superb reproduction of the poignant scene on that Sunday in February 1942 as Percival marched to meet his captors (it was also his young daughters birthday -imagine having that date coinciding with being responsible for the Fall of the Gibraltar of the East)

FOB079L1.jpg

Surrender_Singapore1.jpg

Andy and his team have really carried out a remarkable sculpt and paint and even if it doesn't expand it will make a fine stand alone scene for cabinet or desk display. I also fully agree with Andy's accompanying text as it is indeed sometimes necessary to remember the defeats and sacrifices of our troops. And this one has to be the greatest miltary disaster to the British Empire since Cornwallis surrendered Yorktown. A really fine and unusual two sets of figures that I'm sure will be extremely popular with collectors.

As an aside I was in Singapore last month on my way back from Australia and wanted to visit the Kranji War Memorial and Cemetery but we were only there for two nights and the site was a little too far north. Instead I paid my respects at The Singapore Cenotaph.

DSC00041-6.jpg

Bob

It's been months since I have purchased anything WW2 but these sets are going on the list to buy. They are just that unusual and well done. -- Al

And this one has to be the greatest miltary disaster to the British Empire since Cornwallis surrendered Yorktown.

Bob

I actually thought that was one of the great successes! ^&grin

Bob, good to have you in this neck of the woods my friend, we'll have you throwing away butternut and wearing Khaki before you can say on your bike Rob!:wink2:

Nice pics mate, and love the new Singapore sets^&cool So will you now be posting the Dispatches thread in Feb????{eek3}^&grin:wink2:

Rob

Bob, good to have you in this neck of the woods my friend, we'll have you throwing away butternut and wearing Khaki before you can say on your bike Rob!:wink2:

Nice pics mate, and love the new Singapore sets^&cool So will you now be posting the Dispatches thread in Feb????{eek3}^&grin:wink2:

Rob

Rob

Only repeat only if those ACW Artillery sets-Andy was talking to you and me about last month in London-should make an appearance. Afterall Rob the Dispatches are your baby ^&grin^&grin^&grin

Bob

Rob

Only repeat only if those ACW Artillery sets-Andy was talking to you and me about last month in London-should make an appearance. Afterall Rob the Dispatches are your baby ^&grin^&grin^&grin

Bob

^&grin

We'll have you on board soon my friend!:wink2: Yep, K&C probably revisit the ACW again this year I'd guess. {bravo}}

Rob

It's been interesting for me to see the interest in these figures. When I first heard about them I was surprised, thinking who would want a reminder of that! The loss of the 8th Australian Division cut very deeply at the time and the subsequent treatment of the POWs left a lot of anger that persists with many people associated with them to this day. Admitably, my interests lie in other periods but I thought it a 'courageous' event for K & C to pursue.

I wonder now whether, from a commercial point of view, it is directed with some view to Asian buyers, allowing them to commemorate the humbling of the British Empire? Thoughts?

It's been interesting for me to see the interest in these figures. When I first heard about them I was surprised, thinking who would want a reminder of that! The loss of the 8th Australian Division cut very deeply at the time and the subsequent treatment of the POWs left a lot of anger that persists with many people associated with them to this day. Admitably, my interests lie in other periods but I thought it a 'courageous' event for K & C to pursue.

I wonder now whether, from a commercial point of view, it is directed with some view to Asian buyers, allowing them to commemorate the humbling of the British Empire? Thoughts?

I really don't see that. It is a humbling moment in history, but also a moment in history. Let me put it this way, if K & C made figures commemorating the attack on Pearl Harbor, I would purchase them as I gather a lot of other people would.

Brad

Replace Brits with Japs? Don't think anybody would have considered that a move in the right direction

Certainly it was a trying event in British history and on the allied side during WWII, but I think sets like this make an interesting vignette in a display of the history of WWII. I have a wide range of European theater sets now, and despite never wanting to collect marching Nazis (except for the small group of Luftwaffe I am starting for my air display), I have often thought either a small parade or a group of German soldiers marching one way down the street with French refugees walking in the opposite direction would make a very poignant opposing bookend to my Fall of Berlin display in sort of a timeline of WWII in Europe. I see the same opportunities with this Singapore set. Perhaps K&C could create a small number of sets for the Pacific that cover major events in that theater. Included could be a surrender on the Missouri, as someone else suggested. Perhaps also a figure of MacArthur and army Rangers. The Iwo Jima flag set that was done years ago fits right in there too. Personally, I really want a carrier plane with a carrier base and attending crew members.

Larso

You and I both know that Singapore had nothing to do with your family. They were busy marching on Moscow when my were fighting the Japanese!

Jack

Ah... Jack. This is what I get for inviting a friend to the Forum. As much as I would be quietly proud to have had forbears at the pointy end of epic battles, I again say that my father's family is Danish and that Mum's left Germany in the 1860s......

Thanks for your thoughts everyone else!

Ah... Jack. This is what I get for inviting a friend to the Forum. As much as I would be quietly proud to have had forbears at the pointy end of epic battles, I again say that my father's family is Danish and that Mum's left Germany in the 1860s......

Thanks for your thoughts everyone else!

On a serious note, I assume that any interest from Asia in K&C might well be dominated by Chinese money. Having been at the receiving end of Japanese expansion a decade earlier than we Aussies, I wonder whether it is of any more interest at a patriotic level to the Chinese than any other range. Indeed, you and I collect based on historical interest rather than patriotism. I love the Light Horse collection but it is a financial choice and I will go with Napoleon in Egypt instead. You like the British regiments, Crusaders and Hobbits. Not a lot of connection with the Danes there!

You forgot my Conte Stamford Bridge set! I'd have got the Viking ship too when it came out but way out of my budget. And my interest is less in Hobbits and more in Orcs and the various Middle Earth personalities that kill them. The dwarves in particular can double up in any potential Narnia display.

Back to my initial thought about Asian buyers, I think it must've been in the quarterly brochure that I read about growing interest by Chinese mainlanders in K & C products, hence my thought bubble below. I guess the Streets of HK would be of significant interest but then what else? As I floated - maybe the Singapore figures? What else in the K & C range do people think might appeal.

And Jack - aren't you in Hawaii - shouldn't you be on a beach or impersonating Elvis somewhere?

You forgot my Conte Stamford Bridge set! I'd have got the Viking ship too when it came out but way out of my budget. And my interest is less in Hobbits and more in Orcs and the various Middle Earth personalities that kill them. The dwarves in particular can double up in any potential Narnia display.

Back to my initial thought about Asian buyers, I think it must've been in the quarterly brochure that I read about growing interest by Chinese mainlanders in K & C products, hence my thought bubble below. I guess the Streets of HK would be of significant interest but then what else? As I floated - maybe the Singapore figures? What else in the K & C range do people think might appeal.

And Jack - aren't you in Hawaii - shouldn't you be on a beach or impersonating Elvis somewhere?

Sorry about confusing Hobbits and Orcs. Orcs are far cooler!

My point was whether it was an error on your part to tie Chinese buying habits to a general opposition to Western imperialism. Could you have fallen for the 'Co Prosperity Sphere' line dragged out in the forties to garner support for japanese ambitions?

Yes I am in Hawaii - and where better to discuss the Pacific War?

As an associated point, does anyone on the forum collect ranges based primarily, or in part, on a shared nationality with the figures?
If so there must be a good many German collectors!

Singapore Surrender

A very welcome set for a page of history not fully known that deserves more attention.I found this picture that gives a name to the british officers .I hope the 2 sets will be followed by many others.

Attachments

• FOB079(L).jpg
    FOB079(L).jpg
    81.5 KB · Views: 221
  • FOB080(L).jpg
    FOB080(L).jpg
    71.3 KB · Views: 202
  • surrender.jpg
    surrender.jpg
    13.6 KB · Views: 226
Re: Singapore Surrender

Yeah great set!! The wife just pre ordered my set today from our local Singapore King and Country dealer ( The solders story) hope they add to this set as it would make a great little display.

Thanks guys

Re: Singapore Surrender

Looking at the pic we need Percival.He was a really a particular (physically speaking) person.An unlucky general.

I find the set an interesting ancedote to the British in "Indochina." Along with the 2 Japanese depicted completes the set. I'd be interested in the set as well. I don't have any Brits in my collection as of yet. Now if there were some Funnies made, those would be grabbed up. Even the Canadian APC from the M4 would be nice. Could some one provide me more info on the Iwo Jima set, this I would love to give to my dad who was with the Marines.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back