Toy Soldier Traveler San Antonio (2 Viewers)

OzDigger as I have ventured down under to your fine country I did not want you to be misled about Texas. In Texas there are only two colors - Maroon for the fighting Texas Aggies of College Station, and Burnt Orange for the Longhorns of the University of Texas. Red is the COLOR of my home state Nebraska, a mere 3 states north, home to the best in football tradition. the Nebraska Cornhuskers - GO BIG RED!

Maroon is the color of Queensland's State Rugby League Team and I live in South East Queensland so I guess I'd have to go for the Texas Aggies if I visited the US :D

Here's a link to a very popular footy competion in Australia called 'State of Origin' that is played between Queensland and New South Wales. Queensland are called either the Maroons or the Cane Toads and New South Wales are the Blues or the Cockroaches: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rugby_League_State_of_Origin

... Red is the COLOR of my home state Nebraska, a mere 3 states north, home to the best in football tradition. the Nebraska Cornhuskers - GO BIG RED!

Blue and white, baby! Go Penn State! Joe Pa forever!

Prosit!
Brad

FSU Seminoles here, Ole Bobby Bowden, still one more win than Joe Pa!

FSU Seminoles here, Ole Bobby Bowden, still one more win than Joe Pa!

I think they'll be wheeling Joe PA into Beaver Stadium in some kind of artifical womb, or maybe they'll put his head in a jar and keep it alive, like on Futurama, just so he can keep on coaching. Penn State post Paterno is unimaginable at this point.

But I'll drink to your Seminoles, too, prost!
brad

FLORIDA STATE Man as well :D

picture.php

Sure, isn't the Phillies' Pat Burrell an FSU alum? As is also the sexy, sexy Heather Mitts, star of the US women's soccer team? Hey now!

Prost!
Brad

Hey dudes

I wrote a trial article for Toy Soldier Collector magazine. As it didnt get used(knew that might happen ahead of time, no big deal) I'm going to post it here. Strangely enough I have been slated to do a reporting article on the Chicago show. So if you see me walking around writing down what everyone says now you know why.

Take Care

Article:

HOLA, FROM THE TEXAS TOY SOLDIER SHOW IN SAN ANTONIO TEXAS. THE ONLY THING THAT CAN QUELL THE INCREDIBLY HOT SUMMER SUN IS SOME VERY COOL NEW TOY SOLDIERS.

As General Sam Houston’s Texas Rebels advanced on Santa Anna’s Mexican forces at the Battle of San Jacinto they cried “Remember the Alamo.” With the temperature reaching up to 100 degrees Fahrenheit and the climate at 96% humidity who in their right mind could ever forget? The Native Americans who first lived in the San Antonio River Valley named the vicinity Yanaguana, which translates to “refreshing waters.” After making the 15 minute walk from the historic Alamo site to the venue what could be more refreshing then the heavily air conditioned Texas Toy Soldier Show?

The lovely Texas Toy Soldier Show is organized by Nick and Deanna VerSteeg from Toy Soldiers of San Diego. The venue consisted of 15 different dealers spread out over 44 tables. Although currently the show is relatively small in size it provided an excellent variety and array of toy soldiers. The majority of the dealers did a great job fashioning their new toy soldier wears. This action provided a great atmosphere for the show as much could be viewed that had never been seen before. Additionally, the show was located in the downtown shopping area called La Villita(Little Village). La Villita is minutes away from San Antonio’s famed River Walk. This historic shopping district provides an excellent location for a collector to separate themselves stress free from their wife or girlfriend. The bottom line could not have been stated any better than by Deanna VerSteeg herself claiming, “It’s toy soldiers…it’s fun.”

KING & COUNTRY’S KING’S X

King’s X had some very atheistically pleasing dioramas on hand at the show. The best being their soon to be released US Cavalry collectors club figures. These personality figures depicting Major Yorke and Sergeant Quencannon were superb. As these soldiers are exclusive to the King’s X store if you don’t buy there you might want to check Ebay. Hopefully, as with some collectors club figures, this is a sign of a new line to come by King and Country. Additionally, I had the opportunity to take a firsthand look at the soon to be released Rommel’s Desert Horch. King’s X had this displayed on a knock out custom diorama by Gordon Neilson. Unfortunately the photos of this piece do not do it justice. The level of detail on the Horch is beyond imagination and it’s almost too bad that it’s going to be a strictly limited set. If you want to be really floored stop by King’s X Toy Soldier shop and check out their giant Alamo diorama. Martin Vasquez with King’s X hit the nail right on the head stating, “ This is a great showcase event for King’s X.”

THE COLLECTORS SHOWCASE

Brian Levy, President of The Collectors Showcase, was on hand at the show to answer questions and “showcase” their new line Operation Market Garden: Arnhem. According to Brian, “It was good to get a warm reception and see a lot of familiar faces.” This line features: a German Marder IIIM, SdfKz22, Flak 30 gun and four different infantry sets. The Marder by far is the best out of the new group and the kill rings on the barrel provide it with a great level of detail. This entire first Arnhem wave by Showcase is limited to just 300 sets worldwide. All you mix and match collectors be advised as Showcase’s WWII items all come in 60mm scale.

CAST & PAINT

The Marx Man is a small New York based mail order only company which provided the show with some fantastic 40mm metal casted toy soldiers. Although I had never viewed 40mm paint-it-yourself toy soldiers before I have to admit I was impressed. The 40mm size provides the perfect optimum for just enough detail to make a non magnifying glass viewable diorama. The smaller size also helps those many collectors who have space allocation issues. Additionally, the 40mm soldiers come in multiple theatres of conflict such as: Zulu, Alamo, American Civil War, Pirates and Seven Years War. The Marx Man, run by John Stengel Junior, is a road warrior bunch spending up to 40% of their time on the pavement in order to complete 35 shows a year. When asked about the big potential of the Texas Toy soldier show Stengel replied, “It only has better things to come.”
Also providing metal casted 54mm civilians and military figures at the show was Bob and Judiann O’Connell from Northcoast Miniatures. This Santa Rosa California based company had a sweet display of horse and carriage sets of all walks and kinds. Bob casts and paints all the toy soldiers and carriages himself. When asked what he thought of the show Bob stated, “The Texas Toy Soldier show is a great group of people and it’s located in a very neat location.” His newly displayed work included a horse drawn hearse carriage and a horse drawn calliope set. The calliope set was a site to behold for metal cast collectors. This horse drawn steam organ was a very well painted and unique civilian figure display.

THE PLASTICS

The plastic toy soldiers at this venue were some of the best I’ve ever seen. First off, Toy Soldiers of San Diego produced some new late time period WWII German Elite troops that were out of this world. These soldiers were so vivid and so well detailed they almost got me into collecting plastics again. The soldiers reminded me a lot of the early Marx “Guns of the Navarrone” plastics that I use to have when I was a kid. That was until my jerk brother incorporated my entire collection at the time into his own personal Fourth of July fireworks show.
Adjacent to the great TSSD display was Steve Westons Toy Soldiers. He won the furthest traveler award by making the venture all the way from Essex England. Steve had an incredible new set of Mexican Bandits at the show. The Bandits tied in well with the rest of his company’s product to make an appealing Magnificent 7 display in plastic. Asked why he traveled so far Weston retorted, “This is a great venue and I love the architecture of San Antonio.”

Last but certainly not least was Ronald Barzso with Barzso Playsets Incorporated. The Nottingham Castle they had on display drew collectors to their table like a moth to a flame. This castle could make an excellent diorama piece with plastic or metal 54mm figures. Barzso summed the show up nicely stating that, “This is a fun show in a fun area and it’s always good to combine vacation with business.”

THE EXPERIENCE

This was my first trip to the “Alamo City” and besides the weather it was a great one. The entire downtown section of San Antonio is incredibly tourist friendly. The city provides a ton of attractions and sites to visit. The combination of multiple historical Missions, River Walk shops and live music bands makes San Antonio a happening place with plenty to do and check out. On top of all that, there’s a great toy soldier show going on here. That makes San Antonio a virtual nirvana for any collector or history buff.

VOXPOPS
Alex & Emily Preito, Houston Texas
Alex is a big King and Country fan. He often provides other collectors with his famous K&C repaints. Alex was in search for anything out of ordinary. Additionally he was at the show to check out some Alamo related items as well as view some toy soldiers that he hasn’t seen on the internet.

Bobby Moore, Lufkin Texas
Bobby was very impressed and by TSSD’s new German Elite plastics. Moore stated loudly, “They’re awesome.” He was chomping at the bit to pick some up and reinforce his 54mm German plastic army.

Kip Othold, Houston Texas
My hats off to Kip as he withstood the Texas heat and stood post outside in full ACW reenactment attire. Othold is part of the reenactment group called the Texas Rifles Company G out of Houston Texas. Not only was Kip searching for recruits to play soldier but he was also searching for some World War II armor to add to his collection.

Photo Descriptions

1. 40mm Marx Man Soldiers
2. Alex & Emily Prieto
3. Barzso Nottingham Castle
4. Bobby Moore
5. Northcoast Miniature Calliope Set
6. Collectors Showcase Germans
7. K&C Horch
8. Kings X CC Figures
9. Kip Othold
10. Outside overview shot
11. Show overview shot
12. TSSD Elite Germans
13. Westons Mexican Bandits

Attachments

• 40mm Marx Man.jpg
    40mm Marx Man.jpg
    60.5 KB · Views: 159
  • Alex & Emily Prieto.jpg
    Alex & Emily Prieto.jpg
    49.7 KB · Views: 160
  • Barzso Nottingham Castle.jpg
    Barzso Nottingham Castle.jpg
    79.9 KB · Views: 267
  • Bobby Moore.jpg
    Bobby Moore.jpg
    46 KB · Views: 157
  • calliope set.jpg
    calliope set.jpg
    93.4 KB · Views: 162
more pics

Attachments

• Collectors Showcase Germans.jpg
    Collectors Showcase Germans.jpg
    84 KB · Views: 190
  • K&C Horch.jpg
    K&C Horch.jpg
    83.4 KB · Views: 182
  • King's X CC Figures.jpg
    King's X CC Figures.jpg
    87.6 KB · Views: 299
  • Kip Othold.jpg
    Kip Othold.jpg
    70.4 KB · Views: 192
  • Outside Overview Shot.jpg
    Outside Overview Shot.jpg
    94.7 KB · Views: 183
last bit of pics

Attachments

• Show Overview Shot.jpg
    Show Overview Shot.jpg
    74.1 KB · Views: 186
  • TSSD Elite Germans.jpg
    TSSD Elite Germans.jpg
    93.1 KB · Views: 187
  • Westons Mexican Bandits.jpg
    Westons Mexican Bandits.jpg
    67.8 KB · Views: 187
Great Article! Loved the photographs too. I must say, I will have to take a look at the collector's showcase stuff at the Chicago Show. The vehicles look very good in your photo. Thanks Chris!:cool::cool:

Thanks for the pics. I was there! I have been to both of them and I hope that the show does continue. I also hope that they find a bigger place for it, but as long as it is held, it is okay with me. I really enjoyed meeting Steve, and Ron. I have always admired their work. I regret not buying the 40mm Alamo minatures and the River terrain while I was there. But, there is always next year. Thanks for the story. I enjoyed it.:D

The show was great met a lot of people and nice to see the kings x guys there. Also I met Brian from Collector Show Case there.

Last but certainly not least was Ronald Barzso with Barzso Playsets Incorporated. The Nottingham Castle they had on display drew collectors to their table like a moth to a flame. This castle could make an excellent diorama piece with plastic or metal 54mm figures. Barzso summed the show up nicely stating that, “This is a fun show in a fun area and it’s always good to combine vacation with business.”

THE EXPERIENCE

This was my first trip to the “Alamo City” and besides the weather it was a great one. The entire downtown section of San Antonio is incredibly tourist friendly. The city provides a ton of attractions and sites to visit. The combination of multiple historical Missions, River Walk shops and live music bands makes San Antonio a happening place with plenty to do and check out. On top of all that, there’s a great toy soldier show going on here. That makes San Antonio a virtual nirvana for any collector or history buff.

VOXPOPS
Alex & Emily Preito, Houston Texas
Alex is a big King and Country fan. He often provides other collectors with his famous K&C repaints. Alex was in search for anything out of ordinary. Additionally he was at the show to check out some Alamo related items as well as view some toy soldiers that he hasn’t seen on the internet.

Bobby Moore, Lufkin Texas
Bobby was very impressed and by TSSD’s new German Elite plastics. Moore stated loudly, “They’re awesome.” He was chomping at the bit to pick some up and reinforce his 54mm German plastic army.

Kip Othold, Houston Texas
My hats off to Kip as he withstood the Texas heat and stood post outside in full ACW reenactment attire. Othold is part of the reenactment group called the Texas Rifles Company G out of Houston Texas. Not only was Kip searching for recruits to play soldier but he was also searching for some World War II armor to add to his collection.

very enjoyable show and good to talk with kip

Users who are viewing this thread

Back