Toy soldiers in movies (5 Viewers)

theBaron

Major
Not exactly a military history trivia question, but a trivia question nonetheless. I thought of this, after seeing Joachim's (plasmapulse) post elsewhere about the maker of figures shown in a Columbo movie.

How many different movie references can we name, in which toy soldiers appeared?

Joachim has given one already, the Columbo movie, "Grand Deceptions".

I can think of a couple:

"Toys" with Robin Williams, Joan Cusak (features old Barclay and Manoil figures)

"The Living Daylights" (Joe Don Baker's lair has several dioramas and displays, some of which were from the Forbes collection. In fact, I think scenes were shot in the Palace Mendoub in Morocco, which housed the collection).

"Murder at 1600" with Wesley Snipes

Can anyone else think of any?

Prost!
Brad

" Young Winston"
A 13 year old or so Winston Churchill is doing poorly at school.The old man comes unglued on him and he is sent to his room.Father in turn is shamed by Mom for being so harsh and goes upstairs to find Young Winston playing with rows of Britains and tells the old man he needs more cannons.
Their conversation eventually leads to discussion of Winston joining the Army.
FUB

Pirates of the Caribbean
World's End-India Trading Company guy has a set on his table
Mike

Brad,
Also I remember Mel Gibson's kid in The Patriot was playing with them when he was killed....And a cheater....Toy Story:eek:
Mike

Right, Mike, very good! I remember that that was something that bugged me about the movie, it's an anachronism. There were a lot of other things that bugged me about "The Patriot", too, but I don't mind them now and just enjoy it as a historical adventure flick.

Some good answers, guys!

The Lost Prince (a friend of mine provided all his Britains collection for the one scene)

Callan the movie Edward Woodward played an ACW wargame with the bad man

The Four Feathers - Version with Beau Bridges and Jane Seymour... As a child, Harry Fabersham is showon playing with metal toy soldiers ..

Apollo 13 - I think Tom Hanks' kid has some Timmee soldiers

Jim

Not exactly a military history trivia question, but a trivia question nonetheless. I thought of this, after seeing Joachim's (plasmapulse) post elsewhere about the maker of figures shown in a Columbo movie.

How many different movie references can we name, in which toy soldiers appeared?

Joachim has given one already, the Columbo movie, "Grand Deceptions".

I can think of a couple:

"Toys" with Robin Williams, Joan Cusak (features old Barclay and Manoil figures)

"The Living Daylights" (Joe Don Baker's lair has several dioramas and displays, some of which were from the Forbes collection. In fact, I think scenes were shot in the Palace Mendoub in Morocco, which housed the collection).
"Murder at 1600" with Wesley Snipes

Can anyone else think of any?

Prost!
Brad

Brad, Have a look at http://www.littleleadsoldiers.com/ click on the Company and scroll down about half way.

Jeff

Oh, excellent, thanks, Jeff! So those were Greenwood & Ball castings, made by Little Lead Soldiers, I did not know that! And so, the set itself was a copy of the palace.

I recommend following the link and having a look, very interesting for us collectors and movie buffs.

Prosit!
Brad

Hey, those are some great looking toy soldiers. Love the Sudan and Indian figures especially. What is the story with these again?

Thanks for the link.

MD

Two more... "Ronin" has a samurai diorama and one character having toy soldiers as a hobby. "The Great Catherine" with Peter O'Toole has a scene with a couple of thousand Britians American Revolution swoppets representing the Battle of Bunker Hill. That was a great couple of minutes in the film. :)

"Hope and Glory", I'd forgotten about that one, what a great movie! I love the grandfather, he's a great character. We could use more like him today.

Two more... "Ronin" has a samurai diorama and one character having toy soldiers as a hobby. "The Great Catherine" with Peter O'Toole has a scene with a couple of thousand Britians American Revolution swoppets representing the Battle of Bunker Hill. That was a great couple of minutes in the film. :)
Yes Ronin has been discussed for that before here. I am still waiting for an answer as to the identity of the figures used?

Was that the scene where the toy soldier artillery actually actually shot miniature canon balls?

I remember watching that movie as a kid many years ago but I forgot its name. The setup was very spectacular, it got me interested into collecting toy soldiers.

"The Great Catherine" with Peter O'Toole has a scene with a couple of thousand Britians American Revolution swoppets representing the Battle of Bunker Hill. That was a great couple of minutes in the film. :)

Timeline had a giant 100 years war display at the beginning of the film.
Mark

Gentle Friends,

I do not believe anyone has mentioned Sixth Sense. The young lad who sees dead people is shown several times playing with a number of W. Britains Deetail figures.

Warmest personal regards,

Pat ;)

What was that movie where the toy soldiers came alive and then killed someone. I think it was like a Twilight Zone movie or something like that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back