Toy soldiers in movies (2 Viewers)

I think my favorite although not a movie was on Night Gallery where the toy soldiers came to life and started attacking the ex-Nam veteran.

It wan't Night Gallery but it was a limited run series of I believe 8 episodes and was based on Stepen King stories.IMO it was the only good episode of the bunch and was the first one aired.This was talked about on a thread a few months ago.
Mark

Last edited:
:D:D Small Soldiers..is a film where the action-man/gi-joe type figures come alive...really funny film and very enjoyable...barbie dolls come alive as well:D:D

Major Chip Hazard
I love the smell of polyurethane in the morning.

Nick Nitro's battery has run out, but his memory lives on.

Attachments

• FILM2007_small_soldiers2-2.jpg
    FILM2007_small_soldiers2-2.jpg
    46.2 KB · Views: 1,114
  • smallsoldiersgame-1.jpg
    smallsoldiersgame-1.jpg
    91.6 KB · Views: 830
It wan't Night Gallery but it was a limited run series of I believe 8 episodes and was based on Stepen King stories.IMO it was the only good episode of the bunch and was the first one aired.This was talked about on a thread a few months ago.
Mark

It was called "Nightmares and Dreamscapes", and "Battleground" was a short story written by Stephen King in 1978.

Jeff

Here's another one, too, more recent: "The Forty-Year-Old Virgin", Steve Carell has a small painting station set up in his walk-in closet, and there's a shot of him painting a figure, I think it's a Zouave.

"...now I'm going to make your silver pants red"

And every time I see that, I think, "Silver? You should prime it first!" :D

Prosit!
Brad

Here you go......as I stated before, this one struck a little too close to home for me....absolutely hilarious movie (a bit raunchy and crude, mind you) :D

I'll admit this really is my idea of a great Friday or Saturday evening......:rolleyes:

Attachments

• virgin4.jpg
    virgin4.jpg
    26.6 KB · Views: 579
I forgot about one more... an episode of the original "Wild, Wild West" TV series had Artemus Gordon with a 3 foot by 4 foot American Civil War diorama near the end of the show explaining something about a particular battle to James West. I can't remember too clearly the figures used, but something tells me that they were Britains ACW swoppets and that would make sense because this series was created in the late 1960's.

Did anyone mention "Three Days Of The Condor" with Robert Redford? The hit man painted soldiers during his down time. -- lancer

I saw "Murder at 1600" again recently and the historic Washington area dioramas looked around 1/72 scale but when Wesley Snipes's character picked up a horse and rider figure that had fallen on the floor they were about 1/32 scale :confused:

Can any of our forum dio experts supply more info on this?

Hi All,
Ken & I howled at "Night at the Museum" as it was a true blending of both our worlds. Gotta love Romans fighting Cowboys. Though my favourite was the 1/1 scale faceless Civil War soldiers. And a bad a** Mickey Rooney was just too funny!
Happy Holidays All!
Ericka

I agree that Night in the Museum will become a classic. One of the few movies made lately that had an original thought and creativity. YUM_YUM wants gum. They have permission from what I hear to make a sequel in the Smithsonian. Leadmen

years ago a Robin Williams movie,,"toys" the makers contacted a good friend of mine, Bill Holt owner of holts hobbies,made his own line of dimestore soldiers,,told him the film would feature "toy soldiers in a major way "and purchased thousands of dollars of his items,,when the film was released it featured about 7 seconds of the figures on some sort of conveyor belt parade ,the rest of the film being nonsense,seldom shown even on the endless repitition movie channels,,what became of the soldiers who knows.

Did anyone mention "Three Days Of The Condor" with Robert Redford? The hit man painted soldiers during his down time. -- lancer

Max von Sydow - he's using a loupe and painting a figure when he receives a phone call.

Don't forget "Battle of the Bulge" - first Robert Shaw is shown a large model of an M47 and told it's a new Tiger tank (I think it's one of the studio models that was blown up in the last battle of the movie). They also have huge batches of HO scale Roco Minitanks Tiger II models on the big German situation table.

I don't know if it was mentioned yet but who can forget the "Bucket of Soldiers" in Toy Story with R. Lee Ermey doing the voices.

Gary B.

The is an upcoming show (2009) in Britain that is to feature a large diorama of the new Britains Napoleonics (about £3000 worth) all just for one scene :eek:

A Christmas Story. Some old Britains LTD in the department store window.

The General's Daughter towards the end the General is painting figures.
Mark

I caught a "Stargate SG-1" episode this past week. One of the charaters, a sort of a shy scientist type wanted to score points with a female much like himself. He had a small "Stargate", and figures in a little diorama, which he was painting and setting up.

I finally managed to get some Ronin captures
Ronin_Fig01ar70.jpg

Ronin_Fig03ar80.jpg

Now who can identify those figures?

...Now who can identify those figures?...

Hmmm, good question.....

Maybe Russian figures, including conversion of stock poses? Maybe conversions of lines by the larger toy soldier makers, even including Del Prado's samurai?

I can imagine very well that the director calls for the diorama, and the technical director might contact the studio's special effects team, who would probably include model makers. They would look to produce the diorama in as cost-effective a way as possible. I can see using existing figure castings as a starting point.

Anyone else ever track down the background info on this scene?

Very good question on the Ronin samurai figures - I collect samurai figures as well and this stand-still is a great idea.

No real idea on the figures through, even though some look like Andrea kits - the seated daimyo looks like SM-F14 and the close-up below looks like AFP-002.

I would tend to agree that they are either Andrea/Pegaos/Romeo Model kits or "special-made" for the movie.

If you are into samurai, then 2009 might be a good year for you ;-).

Also, in "Stuart Little" there is a scene with toy soldiers - a western town...anyone an idea who made these figures?

By the way, Happy 2009 to everyone...

and that everyone collects what he likes and that some here take the seriousness out of collecting..it's only figures and foremost all about personal taste. If people have all their collecting habits in one compnay, it is always difficult to switch over to "newbies" and agree to the obvious...who wants to replace his whole collection? ;-)...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back