Toysoldiers in Paris (1 Viewer)

Especially for Vandilay --the Gordon Highlander you ask about is a Metal Modeles 54mm figure, an excellent French manufacture See their website - http://www.metal-modeles.com
Metal Modeles figures can also be bought from Berliner Zinnfiguren, Berlin and Historex Agents, Dover, UK. There may be agents elsewhere, but their website is down today.
Hope you are all having/had a Merry Christmas.{sm4}
Blackbob

Also as I indicated on that thread the Musée de l'Armée at Les Invalides in Paris has now a large display of TS!

And a comic image of a french caserne before ww1

20160121_154210.jpg20160121_154159.jpg20160121_154138.jpg

Attachments

• 20160121_154117.jpg
    20160121_154117.jpg
    420 KB · Views: 538
Especially for Vandilay --the Gordon Highlander you ask about is a Metal Modeles 54mm figure, an excellent French manufacture See their website - http://www.metal-modeles.com
Metal Modeles figures can also be bought from Berliner Zinnfiguren, Berlin and Historex Agents, Dover, UK. There may be agents elsewhere, but their website is down today.
Blackbob

Thanks for the info much apreciated ,the website is still down but ill follow up in a few days and hopefully its up and running .

Blackbob

Thanks for the info much appreciated ,the website is still down but ill follow up in a few days and hopefully its up and running .

Note that Metal Modèles only produces TS kits. They don't paint nor sell painted TS...

Well, I saw the toysoldiers at the Invalides museum but I saw nothing interesting...

You must have missed the Historical Figurines, the Artillery Models and the Musical Instruments ....

http://www.musee-armee.fr/en/collections/museum-spaces/extra-ordinary-cabinets.html

Historical figurines

The 5000 or so pieces, representing all the different types of historical figurines, reflect the diversity of the Army Museum’s collection, which is made up of around 140,000 pieces in total.

This room features displays of the four main types of figurines, which are mostly arranged in parade formations. First, we have the card figurines which were made by and for adults using stiff cardboard from the beginning of the 18th century. Then there are the so-called “tinplate” figurines which were produced during the second half of the 19th century. These are followed by the lead figurines, which were originally produced as children’s toys and still to this day represent the images of “toy soldiers” found in our collective imagination. Finally, we have the plastic soldiers, which became immensely popular during the 20th century due to the fact that they were stronger and less expensive.

Here are my pictures from June this year .....

armee1.jpg
armee2.jpg
armee3.jpg
armee4.jpg
armee5.jpg

Enjoy ...

John

You must have missed the Historical Figurines, the Artillery Models and the Musical Instruments ....

http://www.musee-armee.fr/en/collections/museum-spaces/extra-ordinary-cabinets.html

Historical figurines

The 5000 or so pieces, representing all the different types of historical figurines, reflect the diversity of the Army Museum’s collection, which is made up of around 140,000 pieces in total.

This room features displays of the four main types of figurines, which are mostly arranged in parade formations. First, we have the card figurines which were made by and for adults using stiff cardboard from the beginning of the 18th century. Then there are the so-called “tinplate” figurines which were produced during the second half of the 19th century. These are followed by the lead figurines, which were originally produced as children’s toys and still to this day represent the images of “toy soldiers” found in our collective imagination. Finally, we have the plastic soldiers, which became immensely popular during the 20th century due to the fact that they were stronger and less expensive.

View attachment 224684
View attachment 224685
View attachment 224686
View attachment 224687
View attachment 224688

Enjoy ...

John

Thank you for the photos, John. I saw that room as well....But I was not really touched. Maybe because I am not very interested into napoleonics.Many are french brands, especially Mignot,and there are also some Del Prado in it! :tongue:personally, I like more the dioramas below.

Historical figurines

View attachment 224684
View attachment 224685
View attachment 224686
View attachment 224687
View attachment 224688

Enjoy ...

John

Saw that room as well!

...This is the place! Near the Louvre, near the Royal Palace? ....really packed and interesting... but not enough for me to get my wallet out...(!)

Hmmm. Me neither. I left my armoured car at the backpackers :) But there was plenty of temptation - some really nice pieces and some very rare pieces. I had to go next door and drool in my beer - no kidding, it was 15 and minutes before I remembered I don't drink alcohol...drew some strange looks from my Catherine. Must remember to go alone next time :) - and I will now that I've seen it and got an appreciation of what a special shop it is. I just was not prepared for the spectacle. Well worth a second shot!

Historical figurines

View attachment 224684
View attachment 224685
View attachment 224686
View attachment 224687
View attachment 224688

Enjoy ...

John

Cool room, to be sure. Well lit, lots of nice displays, but way too sterile if you get my meaning. ...The white walls and glass shelves and nice figures dress-right-dress. I like it better when there's other period memorabilia displayed with the Toy Soldiers...drums, colors, artifacts, etc.

My wife needed to see it, if only to say "See my collection's not so bad."

Hi All,

Just got back from visiting places in Europe. Did not see any toy soldier shops in Rome, Florence or Venice. But the other museums were fantastic.

But Paris was just wonderful. Saw the two toy soldier shops and the Musee de l'Armee displays. Gave me lots of ideas on redoing my own collection.

There was only one toy soldier shop display at the guards Museum in London. The Imperial War Museum London redux displays was only so-so with more posters and explanations, when compared to the Musee de l'Armee with more artifacts.

I agree with LTC PaulN comment that mixing up the figures in a thematic way makes for a more interesting display.

Rgds

Victor

well you missed two good toy soldier shops in London;

http://www.armoury.co.uk/

they always have lovely dioramas setup inside with K&C and TG figures. in Picadilly.

and in Covent Garden Market is Allesandro's small shop selling mostly Del Prado figures and TG as well.

oh well.

Cheers,

Stefan
London

well you missed two good toy soldier shops in London;

http://www.armoury.co.uk/

they always have lovely dioramas setup inside with K&C and TG figures. in Picadilly.

and in Covent Garden Market is Allesandro's small shop selling mostly Del Prado figures and TG as well.

oh well.

Cheers,

Stefan
London

Think Victor went to both.

Amongst our group of Asian collectors, Alesandro’s Has had huge amounts of support since I first started sending pictures round our Whatsapp group. In fact, young Stefan 😂, I was there today to buy more TG pieces but it was so busy I went to the Punch and Judy 🍺🍺🍺🍺

Might pop in tomorrow before the Hong Kong flight - see you then 🤣🤣🤣

Hi All,

Just got back from visiting places in Europe. Did not see any toy soldier shops in Rome, Florence or Venice. But the other museums were fantastic.

But Paris was just wonderful. Saw the two toy soldier shops and the Musee de l'Armee displays. Gave me lots of ideas on redoing my own collection.

There was only one toy soldier shop display at the guards Museum in London. The Imperial War Museum London redux displays was only so-so with more posters and explanations, when compared to the Musee de l'Armee with more artifacts.

I agree with LTC PaulN comment that mixing up the figures in a thematic way makes for a more interesting display.

Rgds

Victor

I failed in my drive from Bolougne to Paris for the TS shops but hope you saw the pictures and video of my hikes along the Atlantic Wall instalations.

I’ll try to get to your Paris recommendations in August.

Hi Stefan and Darren,

In London, I went to the Guards Museum. Museum was closed but the shop was opened where I bought a figure. Nice seller with nice displays inside but less interesting (to me) than the Paris toyshops which mixes up different styles (toy soldiers and model figures, various scales and zinnfiguren), military and civilian with a certain French verve.

The armoury in St James was closed. Thru the window, I didn't see much toy soldier displays (?). Alesandro's was also closed when I visited Covent Gdn. I was in London over the Xmas-New year holidays, so, many places of interest were not opened. The dreadful weather also did not help. I was lucky that the weather improved on the day I decided to visit Portobello mkt which had an open air toy stall. This was featured in Toy Soldier Collector magazine. Really friendly chap.

I'll shortly post my pics on the toy soldiers in Paris here.

Rgds Victor

Hi All,

These are the pics from the Toy Soldier shop (le Drapeux) near the Louvre.
Hopefully they will complement John and others' photos as well.

Rgds Victor

IMG_8945.JPG
creative displays with various boxes and items

IMG_8946.JPG
In the centre is the famous Mignot Wedding Coach in 30mm zinnfiguren

IMG_8947.JPG
I recognize two Le Cimier historical couples in the background

IMG_8948.JPG
Britains Royal Coach is featured here

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back