Trophy Collectors-How old and how long? (1 Viewer)

Len would make them but if you wanted one in the U.S. you had to buy from Jim. Tommy

I am 69 and have collected Trophy since about 1993. I really collect only Trophy Alamo figures but I do have a few other nice trophy figures that caught the fancy of my wife or myself.

Here are the catalogue pages with reference to the later Xmas sets.

In 1998 there were two sets released and the 2004 set was offered for sale in two versions XM31 and XM32

...................also interesting to note the introduction of the WORLDS GREATEST PAINTERS series which I think was short lived and only had the one release.

Cheers

Martyn:)

Dear Martyn / "GICOP":

Thanks for your posting of information on Trophy's XM or Christmas Time sets from 1998 to 2004. Trophy went out of business on 31 December 2006 as I recall. As they had assorted problems it would indeed be likely that there were no XM sets for 2005 & 2006.

"Iron Brigade" / Gary

Just reviving an old thread , the question is who are the new trophy collectors? There are alot of sets that have been sold on
ebay the last year and i am wondering who the new breed are.

I`m 81 going on 60 ,and acquired my first Trophy sets on 22 june 2020. i have acquired a lot of figures for TEK, Sudan, Zulu, Nwf, and Boer War!

Just reviving an old thread , the question is who are the new trophy collectors? There are alot of sets that have been sold on
ebay the last year and i am wondering who the new breed are.

Not me I'm afraid, although I'm only 30- in Mars years. Quite a lot of stuff is sticking on ebay for a long time, like the Floca collection (high prices and crippling international postage costs), or overpriced items (£300 for a set of galloping NNH troopers anyone?). If my sons are anything to go by they are far more addicted to social media than anything that is physical, and one of them actually asked me to stop buying him sets of soldiers for Christmas several years ago- the interest never took hold.

When the baby boomer generation is gone- not for a few decades yet hopefully for us 1960s stragglers- I suspect there may not be much of a toy soldier market, certainly not amongst those born in the 21st century who won't have the same interests as us and will be struggling to buy or rent their own space limited homes as well as paying for heavily taxed pensions, climate surcharges on leisure activities and the costs of raising families. I predict that our collections will be worth a lot less then if they can find a buyer at all. And if they can't then- shudder- it's off to the recycling centre with a charge levied for disposing of toxic lead. :( :eek:

Hi All,

I have come in late on this one (travelling abroad for 1st time in two years. I have been collecting Trophy for about 10-12 years and really boosted my collection when W Britain’s suffered their major hiatus. Now 56 and agree with the last comments, regarding the baby boomer generation. My answer is to just enjoy them for what they are and if they turn out to be an investment, great, but if not, you’ve got your own unique collection and displays to enjoy.

Most exiting is that a friend has just brought back to the UK the Rorkes Drift Storehouse diorama (original issue) that I purchased two years ago in the USA and was not able to retrieve from my sons home there.

That’s the beauty of collecting old soldiers. The trill of the chase!!!

Keep well.
Smendy

Hi All,

I have come in late on this one (travelling abroad for 1st time in two years. I have been collecting Trophy for about 10-12 years and really boosted my collection when W Britain’s suffered their major hiatus. Now 56 and agree with the last comments, regarding the baby boomer generation. My answer is to just enjoy them for what they are and if they turn out to be an investment, great, but if not, you’ve got your own unique collection and displays to enjoy.

Most exiting is that a friend has just brought back to the UK the Rorkes Drift Storehouse diorama (original issue) that I purchased two years ago in the USA and was not able to retrieve from my sons home there.

That’s the beauty of collecting old soldiers. The trill of the chase!!!

Keep well.
Smendy
yes smendy i have to agree with you. the thrill of the chase is a great feeling. my holy grail is set wa71g the red lancer of hamburg trumpet major. Maybe somebody out there can
fulfill my quest. if so plwase contact me. i must say though that one of my favorite moments in life is opening up a new box of trophy figures. thanks Len Taylor

yes smendy i have to agree with you. the thrill of the chase is a great feeling. my holy grail is set wa71g the red lancer of hamburg trumpet major. Maybe somebody out there can
fulfill my quest. if so plwase contact me. i must say though that one of my favorite moments in life is opening up a new box of trophy figures. thanks Len Taylor

Close. We have that guy for the Dutch Lancers. Sorry mate.

But I second your thanks to Mr. Len Taylor!

Paddy

Collecting Trophy (Boxer, Indian Mutiny) since 2015, collecting TS since 2010. Age 60. Attended the East Coast TS Show in 2015, and purchased my first Trophy set. Now, due to lack of space, looking to thin my collection of numerous manufactures, keeping only my "best" sets. One problem, this is proving to be a difficult task.

Trophy will always be valuable to us, and I dare say it will always hold some value.
Ages 70 & 45
Pat & Pat

collecting trophy (boxer, indian mutiny) since 2015, collecting ts since 2010. Age 60. Attended the east coast ts show in 2015, and purchased my first trophy set. Now, due to lack of space, looking to thin my collection of numerous manufactures, keeping only my "best" sets. One problem, this is proving to be a difficult task.
thats always the hard part. You go to get rid of something and you look at it and say to yourself wow this is a nice piece and then you keep it

It is pretty clear
You can pry my Trophy collection out of my cold dead hands.

I’m about to turn 54 and I have been collecting Trophy since around 1995. I focus on WWI, although my son and I have all of the Nike River boats and the Civil War Gunboat Eagle.

I am 80 and have been collecting Trophy since the early 1980's. I have all six of the Trophy boats and my favorite, a complete Trophy Alamo collection. I still collect Trophy but focus on Len's rare sets. tommy

I am 80 and have been collecting Trophy since the early 1980's. I have all six of the Trophy boats and my favorite, a complete Trophy Alamo collection. I still collect Trophy but focus on Len's rare sets. tommy

Delightful collection!

Nice album. I'd love to see more (in any pic quality/setting).

You don't have La Haye Sainte?! Shame;)

I'd like to see the Alamo with figures all around in a pic - just a request - take your time please...

Merry Christmas!

Paddy

Delightful collection!

Nice album. I'd love to see more (in any pic quality/setting).

You don't have La Haye Sainte?! Shame;)

I'd like to see the Alamo with figures all around in a pic - just a request - take your time please...

Merry Christmas!

Paddy
Hi: look at my Album Two. photos 44 & 45 and Album 13 for la Haye Sainte and the Alamo. Merry Christmas. tommy

I am..............48. Collecting Trophy since early 2000's although I had a random set prior. Highlights - Complete late Camel Corp Abu versions, most WW1 Vehicles, think I am missing the patrol lorry, maybe a cart or 2, Civil War Gunboat Confederate, Complete Sherlock Holmes Trophy including Watson at Maiwand, Early Raj series, good bit of Alamo and wild west and Mexican war, civil war and I do have a complete Zulu Diorama (not all set), but all equipment, dios and a Le Haye Sainte as well as Napoleonic and Crimean Personalities. Also Boxer series which is near complete, near complete Xmas and near complete Civilian.

I am always buying it in bulk when I can find it to fill in.

TD

Hi: look at my Album Two. photos 44 & 45 and Album 13 for la Haye Sainte and the Alamo. Merry Christmas. tommy

I think your HMS Lion looks better than mine.
Also, nice job getting all 6 boats.
And the Alamo. And La Haye Sainte.
And, well:
Wow.

Side-story, Lynn Kenwood offered to have Len Taylor make us a one-of-two Mississippi River Steamer (Mark Twain Style - and with character figures of Dad & I & anyone else we wanted) - (another collector must have been considering doing the same) for 2250.00 UK Sterling (in 2001 or 2), as we recall.
Some temptations should be indulged in...
Paddy for Pat & Pat

Users who are viewing this thread

Back