U-505 (1 Viewer)

fmethorst

Command Sergeant Major
While at the Chicago Toy Soldier show we visited the Museum of Science and Industry and the U-505 exhibit.

Outstanding exhibit and great photos. Really gives a feel for the claustrophobic atmosphere of the sub and the amount of gauges and valves is astounding. -- Al

Thanks for sharing ..... fantastic model at the scale 1:1 :smile2::smile2::smile2::smile2:
This is an unike opportunity to see how these beasts were ...
Cheers
A_C

I have been lucky enough to crawl all over that thing for years. All Chicago museums used to be free on Tuesdays and Thursdays and when my wife and I were kids and broke we would pack a cheap picnic and go spend our days off there or the Fields History during the Chicago winters. It was cheap and warm and something to do. You couldn't really see the outside of the sub then do to it being outside the building, but it was free to explore. I may be remembering incorrectly but I don't believe any portion was blocked off either.

They have added a ton of other exhibits to the 505 and I was shocked at how much more there was to see. If you get a chance its very cool. It isn't free anymore though that's for sure.
But it's still worth it.

Absolutely brilliant just motivated me more to get to Chicago thank you, Frank, for posting more great pictures.

Amazing! Thank you for sharing the great photos!

Joe

They've really spruced up the old girl inside and out since moving it into a cavernous climate controlled new home. It had been deteriorating badly outdoors, but has now become the star attraction it deserves to be.

The one thing I really miss though, is the strong whiff of diesel fuel you'd get when entering the boat. They cleaned out the fuel bunkers when it was moved inside. Years ago I was at an anniversary celebration where they actually started one of the engines!

I've been visiting the U 505 for more than 60 years and still enjoy visiting her. My last visit was on June 4th commemorating the 75th anniversary of its capture. They noted that all the members of the boarding party are now deceased.

Great pictures which gives you a feel for the conditions the crew had to endure although some of the more "personal" aspects need to be seen directly when touring on board. I've been to two tours and the docents are great. If you haven't been there try to go.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back