US Military POW/MIA updates (1 Viewer)

Currahee Chris

Sergeant Major
Hey fellas

The VFW shoots us a weekly news email which has updates on US military POW/MIAs. I think this are incredibly interesting reads and I always read each and every story as a means to honor my fallen brothers so that they will always know they aren't forgotten. Here are some interesting ones I read recently:

LT. Howard Dickson USAAF. Dayton OH- Didnt realize it till I read the article closer but his loss made his 4 year old daughter a war orphan. She was presented his medals upon his finding of death.

Airman Accounted For From World War II (Dickson, H.) > Defense POW/MIA Accounting Agency > PressReleaseArticleView (dpaa.mil)

Army PVT Wing O Ham- I found this one fascinating as this was an Asian American fighting in Italy who was not assigned to the 442nd. Given his name, I am thinking he is of Chinese ancestory perhaps Korean. He was with the 3ID so that stuck me as interesting rather than the 442nd. Sort of gives creedence to the fact that the 442nd was perhaps strictly Japanese American troopers.

Soldier Accounted For From World War II (Hom, W.) > Defense POW/MIA Accounting Agency > PressReleaseArticleView (dpaa.mil)

Chris,

Very kind of you to post this. Poignant news stories like these are so important and do matter. Whatever may seem upsetting for me moves to my “six” so to speak after reading things like this. I feel so very lucky. Thanks again for sharing this.

Hang Tough,
Marc

Chris,

Lest we forget . . .

I am happy and relieved whenever a serviceman comes home safe, but it is important to remember the ones who didn't.

Here's a young man who was MIA then determined to be KIA during the Korean war. His son was only 7 months old when his father was lost. Looks like he shipped out the week before his son was born. To be an E-7 at age 20 is an INCREDIBLE achievement so he must have been really high speed and squared away. It takes most non-comms the majority of their career to make 7, even in combat arms MOS's.

Soldier Accounted for from Korean War (Dorrance, J.) > Defense POW/MIA Accounting Agency > PressReleaseArticleView (dpaa.mil)

It never ceases to amaze me how many of these updates are provided for troopers MIA from Operation Tidal Wave, the Huertgen forest and then Pearl. I also marvel at how many MIA's are being closed from the Korean War. This has to be a direct result of former President Trump's conference with the DPRK when he was in office. The North Koreans were notoriously difficult to deal with in getting any information on POW/MIAs (given that we are still technically at war I guess it's understandable).

Here's a young man who was MIA then determined to be KIA during the Korean war. His son was only 7 months old when his father was lost. Looks like he shipped out the week before his son was born. To be an E-7 at age 20 is an INCREDIBLE achievement so he must have been really high speed and squared away. It takes most non-comms the majority of their career to make 7, even in combat arms MOS's.

Soldier Accounted for from Korean War (Dorrance, J.) > Defense POW/MIA Accounting Agency > PressReleaseArticleView (dpaa.mil)

It never ceases to amaze me how many of these updates are provided for troopers MIA from Operation Tidal Wave, the Huertgen forest and then Pearl. I also marvel at how many MIA's are being closed from the Korean War. This has to be a direct result of former President Trump's conference with the DPRK when he was in office. The North Koreans were notoriously difficult to deal with in getting any information on POW/MIAs (given that we are still technically at war I guess it's understandable).

To be an E7 at age 20 is truly remarkable. My oldest son, currently active duty, made E7 in 7 yrs. I'm pretty proud of him. Chris

To be an E7 at age 20 is truly remarkable. My oldest son, currently active duty, made E7 in 7 yrs. I'm pretty proud of him. Chris

I would be as well- that's quite the accomplishment! Something to definately be proud of. My one buddy made SMAJ after 13 years and that was pretty remarkable. Sounds like your son is on that fast track.

I would be as well- that's quite the accomplishment! Something to definately be proud of. My one buddy made SMAJ after 13 years and that was pretty remarkable. Sounds like your son is on that fast track.

Thanks Chris, that is quite an accomplishment for your friend. My son is now a Master Sgt. Chris

Another young 2LT who was KIA by an 88 round hitting his tank. Left behind a baby daughter that he never saw.

Tanker Accounted for from WWII (Walker, G.) > Defense POW/MIA Accounting Agency > PressReleaseArticleView (dpaa.mil)

Here's a young man from Long Island- who worked at Saks 5th Ave before the war. The one newspaper clipping reads that 22 LI and Boro troopers were MIA over 6 theaters- gives you an idea how big the contributions were from the major cities in the US

Airman Accounted for from WWII (Ferris, R.) > Defense POW/MIA Accounting Agency > PressReleaseArticleView (dpaa.mil)

Last edited:
Here's a story published in the papers in Norfolk back in 1942 of a mother who found a newspaper cameraman asking to have her son's picture in the paper. Pretty gut wrenching to read- though it is hard as the type is pretty small, it's worth a read.

USS California Sailor Accounted for from WWII (Walker, D.) > Defense POW/MIA Accounting Agency > PressReleaseArticleView (dpaa.mil)

This story is a Captain's father who hopes that his son is still alive from the Korean war- another gut wrencher to read......

Soldier Accounted for from Korean War (Yde, E.) > Defense POW/MIA Accounting Agency > PressReleaseArticleView (dpaa.mil)

Fortunately these American heroes will come back and be able to rest with their brothers and sisters.

Approaching Memorial Day weekend, always a hallowed time to remember those who served before us and made the ultimate sacrifice.

With all the anticipation and discussion about M10 Tank Destroyers, here is a WW2 0-2 who was an M10 Platoon leader who was MIA in June 44.

Tanker Accounted for from WWII (Baskind, N.) > Defense POW/MIA Accounting Agency > PressReleaseArticleView (dpaa.mil)

Another 17 year old from Korea....................

Soldier Accounted for from Korean War (Smith, T.) > Defense POW/MIA Accounting Agency > PressReleaseArticleView (dpaa.mil)

Thank you, Chris, for this and other military news.
Best to you and yours who serve. Thank you for your service (and posts).
You should commission a figure of yourself. Just a thought.
Paddy for Dad & me

Thank you, Chris, for this and other military news.
Best to you and yours who serve. Thank you for your service (and posts).
You should commission a figure of yourself. Just a thought.
Paddy for Dad & me

Cheers Paddy to you and your father! Thank you and your father for being folks worth serving for. It was my privilege.

Im 100% certain a commissioned figure of me would be the ugliest mug on a toy soldier in the history of toy soldiers- and that goes back a VERY LONG ways!!! {sm4}{sm4}

However, I am considering reaching out to someone to see if I cannot get my Great Grandfather's picture from the First WW commissioned- it is staged with him sitting behind a .30 cal with two men from his unit with him.

Warmest regards
CC

Users who are viewing this thread

Back