Visiting Bayern's Toy Soldier and Militaria Museum! (3 Viewers)

Thanks again for all of the compliments. So without further ado here are some more!

Time to dust the St Petersberg......KC mixed in too

23MAY12 021.JPG

23MAY12 014.JPG

23MAY12 007.JPG
No offense to my Australian brothers!! Just a display while I await opposing plane releases...
23MAY12 004.JPG

23MAY12 009.JPG

More later....

Excellent collection Ludwig, really nice pics, thanks for posting.{bravo}}

Rob

Very impressive collection - one of the best I have seen

Terry

Terry thank you and Rob for your kind words! As two senior members of the forum I appreciate it! Besides anyone that likes Hobbits is right as rain with me. I am a huge JRR Tolkien fan. I have a major collection of Lord of the Rings items but that is for another site!
Here are a few more pics from my collection.

Ludwig

These are Mignot Bavarian Uhlan Lancers

23MAY12 015.JPG

These are Mignot WW1 Ulahn's in front and Hiriart Hussars in the rear

23MAY12 016.JPG

These are Lucotte and Mignot Garde du Corps and Hiriart Garde Currasiers in the rear

23MAY12 017.JPG

These are Death Head Hussars by Tradition kit in front and Sarum Liebe Garde in the rear

23MAY12 018.JPG

These are by Dorset

23MAY12 019.JPG

More later....

Terry thank you and Rob for your kind words! As two senior members of the forum I appreciate it! Besides anyone that likes Hobbits is right as rain with me. I am a huge JRR Tolkien fan. I have a major collection of Lord of the Rings items but that is for another site!

Ludwig

I have a few LOTR statues as well. :)

Terry

I have a few LOTR statues as well. :)

Terry

I have dozens. I have everything Sideshow-Weta has made. I did not want to go off subject but in a way it is not. Other then being a military veteran from a family with generations of military men my love for toy soldiers actually started because of the Lord of the Rings. It was in a toy soldier shop back in the late 60,s early 70's that I purchased a toy soldier figure Tolkien chess set. It was my prize possession as a young man. There it went from there....

Now today I need another addition on the house....

Ludwig{sm4}

Great looking collection really enjoyed flicking through it! Thanks for posting!

Craig

Here's an extraction of of my personal bucket list:

- visit the Harley Museum in Milwaukee - DONE
- visit Kennedy Space Center - DONE
- visit Ludwigs Toy Soldier and Military Museum - open

Really impressive collection. Pls post more pictures.

Oliver
PS. I only wonder why you have only a few Hessian Soldiers in your collection?

Oliver

Thank you for your kind response. You are welcome to visit anytime. I am very busy right now between work and family but I will post more pictures this weekend at the worst!!!

Thanks for your interest!

tschüss!

Ludwig

Oliver

As promised, here are a few more pics of my collection.

Ludwig

25JUN10 021.JPG

25JUN10 025.JPG

18AUG10 050.JPG

18AUG10 051.JPG

I've been following the thread but haven't taken the opportunity to comment till now. Ludwig, ich gratuliere, eine ausgezeichnete Sammlung haste, wahnsinnig! Really fantastic! Your collection reminds me of Bob Way's, in the way you've kept to a specific theme, and collected other items of militaria and printed materials related to it. And you and I have very similar interests in what we collect.

I was especially drawn to the figures in the classic toy soldier style. Besides the Hiriart and Tradition figures, who are some of the other manufacturers you've collected? In the smaller wall cabinet, for example, who made the Prussians and the other Imperial troops? Also, do you also do any of your own painting?

If there is anything I would note as an area for improvement, it's that in a collection with an emphasis on Bayern, you've missed including beer and beer-related items. What self-respecting Bayer would take up arms for his Kini without fortifying himself with a Maβ or two? :D (Actually, that's one area in which makers have really copped out and taken the easy way out. It's almost without exception that a casting with a mug depicts an English-style pewter tankard, even for Imperial Germans circa 1900. I'll sculpt a Maβkrug or a Faiencekrug to replace them, as appropriate. I'm working on clear resin castings of more modern glass mugs, that look German, not English.)

Really excellent collection, thanks to you and Lettow-Vorbeck for the look into your collection, prosit!
Brad

I've been following the thread but haven't taken the opportunity to comment till now. Ludwig, ich gratuliere, eine ausgezeichnete Sammlung haste, wahnsinnig! Really fantastic! Your collection reminds me of Bob Way's, in the way you've kept to a specific theme, and collected other items of militaria and printed materials related to it. And you and I have very similar interests in what we collect.

I was especially drawn to the figures in the classic toy soldier style. Besides the Hiriart and Tradition figures, who are some of the other manufacturers you've collected? In the smaller wall cabinet, for example, who made the Prussians and the other Imperial troops? Also, do you also do any of your own painting?

If there is anything I would note as an area for improvement, it's that in a collection with an emphasis on Bayern, you've missed including beer and beer-related items. What self-respecting Bayer would take up arms for his Kini without fortifying himself with a Maβ or two? :D (Actually, that's one area in which makers have really copped out and taken the easy way out. It's almost without exception that a casting with a mug depicts an English-style pewter tankard, even for Imperial Germans circa 1900. I'll sculpt a Maβkrug or a Faiencekrug to replace them, as appropriate. I'm working on clear resin castings of more modern glass mugs, that look German, not English.)

Really excellent collection, thanks to you and Lettow-Vorbeck for the look into your collection, prosit!
Brad

Thank you for the compliments Baron. Most appreciated. Yes I have a great deal of classic and antique soldiers in my collection. Many gloss figures. The conglomerate of Militaria actually stems from my family. Many of the items pictured are actually heirlooms. I was the one most interested at a young age and therefore wound up with most of the helmets; uniforms; pictures; engravings; flags; bronzes; etc. I in turn served in the military and my interest grew even more. I began to and have continued all these years to collect particularly Prussian and Bavarian militaria to add and fill in the gaps. I literally have every example of helmet and weaponry from the mid 1800's through 1918. The toy soldiers were my add on that did not come from family. But the blend sure makes for quite the display environment.

To answer your questions in order.
On the types and kinds of soldiers in my collection you will find, Heyde, Mignot, Lucotte; Frontline, Britains, Sarum, KC, TG, Alymer, Del Prado, Dorset; Ducal, Stadden, AQM, Rose, Pickelhaube Miniatures, Beau Geste, Bastion, Fusilier Miniatures, many most will have never heard of, Haffner, Hilpert, Heinrichsen, Spenkuch etc. Of course the heart of my collection follows my Bavarian/ Prussian roots but I have many theateres with French and British and you name it. It is kind of like my love for Deutscher Fußballbund. I like individual players more then regional teams.

If I am right on the small case you are referring to, the soldiers are as follows top to bottom. The top shelf is a Mecklenberg Prussian Regiment by Sarum Toy Soldiers. The second row is a set of Frontline Prussian glossy soldiers that were actually purchased at Kings X long before Gordon arrived there one fine day. The third row is Fusilier Miniatures Prussian Jaegers and a few other pieces. The bottom shelf is Frontline Glossy WW1 Austrian.
Yes I do some modeling and painting. I am a fair hand but do not produce much. I will sends some pics sometime. If you look at the set of Bavarian Mignot Napoleonics in the posts here, I actually fabricated one of the two officers in the front and painted to match.

Here is another cabinet like the other. Top shelf is Bavarian Uhlan 1900's by AQM. Second shelf is two New Hope and a lucotte in the middle. Third shelf are one Bavarian Uhlan middle and two Prussian Uhlan right and left by Fusilier Miniatures. Of course the Bavarian is in charge which should go without saying;). The bottom shelf is a Bavarian WW1 set by Traditions.

2JUN12 027.JPG

Now on the missing beer items...not so fast my friend!! Here are some regimental beer steins. One is family.

2JUN12 031.JPG

2JUN12 020.JPG

Here is a drinking flask next to my M1845/48Maximillian Bavarian Raupenhelm.

2JUN12 024.JPG

And one more drinking flask.

2JUN12 023.JPG

Well more to come as time permits.

In closing to everyone. Thank you for your compliments and interest. I have been enjoying doing this now that I know how. All of these items are in my personal collection and if you would like a closer picture just let me know.

Ludwig!! Take care Baron!!

Thank you for the compliments Baron. Most appreciated. Yes I have a great deal of classic and antique soldiers in my collection. Many gloss figures. The conglomerate of Militaria actually stems from my family. Many of the items pictured are actually heirlooms. I was the one most interested at a young age and therefore wound up with most of the helmets; uniforms; pictures; engravings; flags; bronzes; etc. I in turn served in the military and my interest grew even more. I began to and have continued all these years to collect particularly Prussian and Bavarian militaria to add and fill in the gaps. I literally have every example of helmet and weaponry from the mid 1800's through 1918. The toy soldiers were my add on that did not come from family. But the blend sure makes for quite the display environment.

To answer your questions in order.
On the types and kinds of soldiers in my collection you will find, Heyde, Mignot, Lucotte; Frontline, Britains, Sarum, KC, TG, Alymer, Del Prado, Dorset; Ducal, Stadden, AQM, Rose, Pickelhaube Miniatures, Beau Geste, Bastion, Fusilier Miniatures, many most will have never heard of, Haffner, Hilpert, Heinrichsen, Spenkuch etc. Of course the heart of my collection follows my Bavarian/ Prussian roots but I have many theateres with French and British and you name it. It is kind of like my love for Deutscher Fußballbund. I like individual players more then regional teams.

If I am right on the small case you are referring to, the soldiers are as follows top to bottom. The top shelf is a Mecklenberg Prussian Regiment by Sarum Toy Soldiers. The second row is a set of Frontline Prussian glossy soldiers that were actually purchased at Kings X long before Gordon arrived there one fine day. The third row is Fusilier Miniatures Prussian Jaegers and a few other pieces. The bottom shelf is Frontline Glossy WW1 Austrian.
Yes I do some modeling and painting. I am a fair hand but do not produce much. I will sends some pics sometime. If you look at the set of Bavarian Mignot Napoleonics in the posts here, I actually fabricated one of the two officers in the front and painted to match.

Here is another cabinet like the other. Top shelf is Bavarian Uhlan 1900's by AQM. Second shelf is two New Hope and a lucotte in the middle. Third shelf are one Bavarian Uhlan middle and two Prussian Uhlan right and left by Fusilier Miniatures. Of course the Bavarian is in charge which should go without saying;). The bottom shelf is a Bavarian WW1 set by Traditions.

View attachment 96379

Now on the missing beer items...not so fast my friend!! Here are some regimental beer steins. One is family.

View attachment 96380

View attachment 96381

Here is a drinking flask next to my M1845/48Maximillian Bavarian Raupenhelm.

View attachment 96382

And one more drinking flask.

View attachment 96383

Well more to come as time permits.

In closing to everyone. Thank you for your compliments and interest. I have been enjoying doing this now that I know how. All of these items are in my personal collection and if you would like a closer picture just let me know.

Ludwig!! Take care Baron!!

Thanks!

Nice presentation between the toy soldiers, military collectibles and other knic knacks. Not my main areas of interest however it is a very impressive set up, thanks for sharing your collection with us TREEFROGGERS. ^&cool

Wow! Bayern,
What an incredible collection of toy soldiers and antique militaria! You have done a fantastic job of displaying K&C product along with all of your other lines of figures. I particularly like your scene of what appears to be Hougomont at Waterloo? Also your WWI scene is incredible!
With all of your military antiques I was wondering if you did any reenacting?
Also I thought I read in a previous post that you had an original French Old Guard Bearskin? please post a pic!
Best regards
Martin Vasquez
Kings X

Congratulations Ludwig you have a Magnificent collection! {bravo}}

Jeff :salute::

Congratulations Ludwig you have a Magnificent collection! {bravo}}

Jeff :salute::

Thank you for looking and your compliments. I have displayed two different flags in the common area last wekend. I shall post some more pics later. :)

Ludwig

Users who are viewing this thread

Back