What are the Forum members reading (3 Viewers)

Deitz

Command Sergeant Major
I recently read Patrick Buchanan's book Churchill, Hitler, and the Unnecessary War. I found it very interesting, I am not sure I agree with all of his theories.

I am currently reading

1. Like Wolves on the Fold, The Defense of Rorke's Drift by Lt. Snook and
2. Retribution, The Battle for Japan, 1944 - 45 by M. Hastings.

"At Dawn We Slept," by Gordon Prange, on the Pearl Harbor attack. Very well done.

"Lord Chelmsford's Zululand Campaign 1878-79"
$1.99 Sudoku Puzzle book withe recent gashes, pen marks and tear stains
Fiel & Stream also just came in. Mike

I am in the midst of reading three books:

The Last Campaign by Thurston Clarke about the 1968 Campaign of Bobby Kennedy

One Palestine Complete by Tom Segev about the British Mandate in Palestine between WW I and 1948

The Tomb in Seville by Norman Lewis, about crossing Spain in 1934 (around the time of the Asturias miners insurrection and two years before the beginning of the Civil War)

You multiple read guys are really something! How do you keep track? I read

by impulse, once I get started, I will read maybe a dozen books until I find a

boring one. Once that one is done I stop reading until the urge strikes me

again.

Current selections awaiting:

"Iwo Jima Portrait of a Battle"
"The Battleship Yamato"
"The Cobra in the Barn"
"Brothers in Battle, Best of Friends"
"In Harms Way"
"A Rumor of War"

Plus 6 issues of Forza my favorite ferrari magazine.

Njja

One Palestine Complete by Tom Segev about the British Mandate in Palestine between WW I and 1948

I read that when it first came out, really fascinating stuff. Interesting background relevant to today's current events. Hope you like it.

I'm currently reading The D-Day Atlas - Anatomy of the Normandy Campaign by Charles Messenger and SS: The Secret Archives - Western Front by Ian Baxter.

Currently running with two The Iron Brigade by Alan T Nolan and D-Day-Piercing the Atlantic Wall by Robert Kershaw.

So impressed with Kershaw's style of writing that just yesterday I purchased his book Red Sabbath-The Battle of Little Bighorn. I dont know if any of you guys have tried Kershaw but the Normandy Campaign book really is an exceptional read.

Reb

Well, right now I'm reading the breakfast menu in my hotel.

Have ran out of books and I'm not paying hotel prices for second-hand books that I'm not really interested in anyway. So yesterday I began "Zulu" by David Saul again. Maybe I'll understand some of the longer words this time around.

Cheers
H

Well, right now I'm reading the breakfast menu in my hotel.

Have ran out of books and I'm not paying hotel prices for second-hand books that I'm not really interested in anyway. So yesterday I began "Zulu" by David Saul again. Maybe I'll understand some of the longer words this time around.

Cheers
H

Hope your breakfast is memorable!:D

Njja

The Silmarillion by JRR Tolkin, which is basically the history of Middle Earth before the LOTR.

Jeff

I've read that one Harry-thoroughly recommended :D:D:D

Reb

You haven't read this particular one, my fine upstanding rebellious friend.
Not much to recommend to be honest, apart from the porridge, and even then you have to sprinkle a heap of salt onto it to make it even half-way palatable.

cheers
H

I've also got "Don't Start the Revolution Without Me" going, by Jesse Ventura, but his line of reasoning has been so irritating that I can only read a piece at a time. He accuses "right-wing religious nuts" of being narrow-minded and attacking those who don't agree with them, then he makes disparaging remarks about people who disagree with him.

So, I cracked open "At Dawn We Slept".

I've also got "Don't Start the Revolution Without Me" going, by Jesse Ventura, but his line of reasoning has been so irritating that I can only read a piece at a time. He accuses "right-wing religious nuts" of being narrow-minded and attacking those who don't agree with them, then he makes disparaging remarks about people who disagree with him.

So, I cracked open "At Dawn We Slept".

I just had to check, and it's the same Jesse Ventura that played Blain, the 'painless' wielding character in Predator :D

I just finished "Killing Rommel" (a novel about the Long Range Desert Group) and I am in the middle of "The Steel Wave" (a novel about the Normandy invasion).

greetings all- i am currently rereading Herberts "Dune" for the umpteenth time as well as two military history books. 1-"The Ideology of the Offensive" by Jack Snyder, a really interesting book on military decisions in 1914. 2- "Duel in the Mist" by Stefan De Meyer and others about Kampfgruppe Peiper in the Ardennes offensive. it is volume 1 of a projected series and is well illustrated. it is, however, expensive and very narrowley focused on one day, Dec. 19 at Stoumont. BoB types will appreciate it. best regards, lancer

I just had to check, and it's the same Jesse Ventura that played Blain, the 'painless' wielding character in Predator :D

Yes, very much so, a great part for him, as a former SEAL.

A friend of mine lent me the book, and I wanted to see what he had to say. It bothers me a little when I hear talk show hosts or pundits just dismiss him out of hand because he was a professional wrestler, as if that means he's stupid or worse (Michael Medved, for example). He's a pretty bright guy, lots of drive and determination, but I don't think he moves from gut feelings to deeper reflection on some issues.

He was pretty good in "The Running Man", too, as the retired stalker Captain Freedom.

Prosit!
Brad

I recently finished “The Spartans” by Paul Cartledge and “Gates of Fire” by Steven Pressfield, both informative and enjoyable. Before that, the Pale Horseman” by one of my favorite authors, Bernard Cornwell (of the Sharpe series among others). I am currently reading “Shadow of Sagami” by David Weber and "Of Fire and Night", the fourth book in the excellent “Saga of Seven Suns” SF series by Kevin Anderson. My next up will be a return to Simon Scarrow’s Roman army series with the fifth book of that set, “The Eagle's Prophecy”. I hope to make that series last (there are currently 3 more) until Ken’s legionaries are ready.

I read that when it first came out, really fascinating stuff. Interesting background relevant to today's current events. Hope you like it.

So far so good. From the reviews I've read and the people I've talked to it's a bit revisionist (i.e., the British really helping the Jews towards the end, etc.).

Have you read Benny Morris' new book, 1948: The First Arab Israeli War. It's quite an interesting book as it gives you the historical background to the War although Morris can be a little turgid at times and it can be rough sledding here and there. His description of the battles is not the best and the book needs a lot more maps. The best part of the book was actually the end with the conclusion: a good summary of the consequences of the war. All in all, worth picking up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back