What are the Forum members reading (4 Viewers)

I always thought this photo of Lewis Payne was one of the more striking from the war given it's context. Also his modern appearance. "Lewis Payne, seated and manacled, at the Washington Navy Yard about the time of his 21st birthday in April 1865, three months before he was hanged as one of the Lincoln assassination conspirators."

Combat

I agree - just looking at the little bio in wikipedia on him was really interesting - to think that he did all that during the Civil War - wow.

I also came across him by chance as a reference to FLORIDA CIVIL WAR - kinda interesting too !

Ron

Ron

I've read your book and an excellent companion for it is the attached-Sets the scene of the assassination and the manhunt so that it reads almost like a novel-but really well researched.
I read it over two nights-a veritable unputdownable. Recommended.

Reb

51YnI0OrsLL_BO2204203200_PIsitb-sti.jpg

Reb

I am embarrassed to say - that I have an autographed copy of MANHUNT and haven't read it yet :eek: It's on the shelf and just forgot about it until you brought it up.

Should I read MANHUNT first then the other - or does it matter ?

I havent started the LAST LINCOLN CONSPIRATOR - yet - I know, I need to do better on my reading :rolleyes:

Ron

I just finished reading 'First Light' by Geoffrey Wellum. He was a Spitfire pilot in World War 2. Youngest pilot in 92 Squadron during Battle of Britain. Good book.

I finished "Shattered Sword" last night, I'll create a separate thread for a book report (yes, I still owe one for "The Drillmaster of Valley Forge", too).

Next up-Mark Steyn's "America Alone", and I also want to read Ayn Rand's "Atlas Shrugged". I'm curious to see how closely our politics of the last 20 years have followed the plot of the novel. Not sure if I'll get through it, though-I started reading, "The Fountainhead", a couple of summers ago, and though the concepts are intriguing, eventually, the book starts to bog down in too many little characters to follow around.

For anyone interested in life imitating art, I recommend two short stories by Kurt Vonnegut: "Harrison Bergeron", and "The Big Space F***". Some of the details of those short stories are remarkably prescient, even if he himself helped to bring about their development.

Prost!
Brad

I just finished reading 'First Light' by Geoffrey Wellum. He was a Spitfire pilot in World War 2. Youngest pilot in 92 Squadron during Battle of Britain. Good book.
I really enjoyed that book as well. I have now finished The Battle and highly recommend it for anyone interested in Waterloo. I am re-reading Sharpe's Rifles and about ready to start The Wateroo Companion.

...For anyone interested in life imitating art, I recommend two short stories by Kurt Vonnegut: "Harrison Bergeron", and "The Big Space F***". Some of the details of those short stories are remarkably prescient, even if he himself helped to bring about their development.
Indeed. While not from those, that brings to mind a favorite quote "She was a fool, and so am I, and so is anyone who thinks he sees what God is doing." I must admit to being somewhat of a Bokononist. And so it goes.:cool::D

Indeed. While not from those, that brings to mind a favorite quote "She was a fool, and so am I, and so is anyone who thinks he sees what God is doing." I must admit to being somewhat of a Bokononist. And so it goes.:cool::D

I am a victim of a series of accidents, as are we all.
And so on.
Hi ho.

:D

Last edited:
I finished reading "The Price Of Glory" by Horne (The Destruction of Lord Raglan by Hibbert and Rorke's Drift by Greaves are in stand-by) and now i'm reading the enjoyable "The Drillmaster of Valley Forge" ..both books bought on indirect suggestion of forum members!Thanks!

I just started Tactics and Experience of Battle in the Age of Napoleon by Rory Muir, which appears to be a very well researched soldier level view of Napoleonic tactics and combat.

I just started reading British Fortifications in Zululand 1879 by Osprey from the Fortress series #35.

I read quite a bit on the battles, but have very little knowledge of the forts and defenses from this conflict, hopefully, this book will get me up to speed.

Soldiers Three by Rudyard Kipling

One of my favorite storytellers!
I'm still plugging away at Campaigning in Zululand by H.Montague, a staff officer with the 94th Regiment. It's in first person, and similar to reading a lot of Victorian authors-Paradise Lost kind of confusing once in a while:eek:
Mike

Currently re-reading Shirer's "Rise and Fall of the Third Reich" for the umpteenth time. Right at the chapter, "Barbarossa: The Turn of the Soviet Union". Oooooh, I wonder how this turns out....

And queued up are "John Adams" by David McCulloch, Boyington's autobiography and Caidin's "Flying Forts".

I assume you meant David McCullough. Speaking of McCullough, have you ever read his Harry Truman book? I recommend it.

Reading Crossing The Rhine by Lloyd Clark.....not a bad read so far but he uses a lot of British slang. Anyone know of any other books on Varsity?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back