What are the Forum members reading (5 Viewers)

Really like Rods classic stuff,was a real backdrop to my childhood in the seventies.But he really has lost it these days with all these crap cover versions.So many artists and Bands start the old cover version route in the twilight of their careers,give me 'Maggie' or 'You Wear it well' anyday.:)

Rob

Rob mate
Are you saying Tom Waits' song is crap?

Damian,

No not at all mate,i was talking about all these love song covers he does these days,and he's not the only one.Another classic band from my youth 'Status Quo' were once a piledriving,blistering rock band whose concerts would leave you deaf and knackered for days.And these days they are a mockery of their former glory with god awful covers and heaven help us this year a xmas song.So sad to see these acts that were once so good eeking out a living like this.At least the Clash didn't return to spoil their memory.

Rob

Didn't like Rod's cover of Southside Johnny and the Asbury Jukes' "We're Havin' a Party", he just sang the same verse over and over.

Back to the thread's topic--Read "Jurassic Park" again on Saturday, it is such a great piece of science fiction, and classic Crichton. I first read it when the book came out, and I remember thinking at that time that it would make a great movie, if only someone could figure out how to animate the dinosaurs realistically. Then a couple of years later, Spielberg brought out his film version. The animation was fantastic, but he completely ruined the story. If you take out the human scenes, and leave just the dinosaurs, it's a great film.

But back to Crichton-I find his books make gripping reads, that I can really immerse myself in, and spend the whole day reading. I did that for "State of Fear", when that came out a couple of years ago. Read the first 2 chapters on a Thursday night, when I bought the book, and then read the rest of it, straight through, that Saturday. Fast-moving story, well researched, and believable characters, an enjoyable read.

Prost!
Brad

That's always the problem with films based on books, the book inevitably gets wrecked. Characters get changed or deleted, unecessary sex scenes introduced. The only film I can recall that stuck really close to the printed story was "The Red Badge of Courage", it was, and still is , a very good film.

Red Badge is an excellant film,just has a great atmos about it.Some great scenes such as when the main guy runs from the fighting and also when a comrade runs off the road and up a hill to die.For an old black and white film its wonderful.

Rob

Really like Rods classic stuff,was a real backdrop to my childhood in the seventies.But he really has lost it these days with all these crap cover versions.So many artists and Bands start the old cover version route in the twilight of their careers,give me 'Maggie' or 'You Wear it well' anyday.:)

Rob

Funnily enough, I was listening to some of his old stuff with The Faces last night. "A Nod's as Good as a Wink", and "Every Picture Tells A Story", which featured The Faces, as well as some of the most sublime backing vocalists of the time (1971). Scottish songs-tress Maggie Bell on the title track and Madeline ? (can't remember her surname offhand) on the rest of the album.

PS. Damian; I think Rob is referring to those 4 or 5 big band cover version CD's that Rod the Mod's been releasing over the past few years. Although I like at least some of them.

H

Sorry if I am repeating earlier postings regarding the following book, but I really liked this book. "Overlord" by Max Hastings is a ground breaking book in my estimation for bringing several great points to light. The fighting capabilities of both sides in terms of strategy, tactics, soldiers and weapons I found to be fascinating. Normandy students need to read this book even if you don't agree with it's conclusions which sometimes run counter to the generally accepted. A very enjoyable read which might open new avenues of thought to the reader. -- lancer

I just finished Slash written by Slash and Anthony Bozza. A surprising and interesting read if you are into that era of rock (as I am).

I am now reading Open City: True Story of the KC Crime Family by William Ouseley. I am a bit of an organized crime buff as well and this is the story of my "home town" mob family written by the former Supervisor of the Organized Crime Squad, Kansas City Field Division of the FBI. I've just started it but it is very engaging thus far.

I hope to start on a biography of Jeb Stuart next.

Eric

Just finished 'Ship of Ghosts" which is the story of the USS Houston. Now reading "Escape From The Deep" about The USS Tang.

I am currently reading, "Wolf Pack, The American Submarine Strategy that Helped Defeat Japan," by Steven Trent Smith.

I was always curious about the submarine war in the Pacific. Finally, went out and purchased a book on it.

December has been quite good for my military books;

Earlier in the month I bought and read the Osprey "Campaign" titles on Brandy Station and Chancelorsville. I obtained the Tankograd book on the M1A2 TUSK version of the Abrams tank as well as two recent additions to the Tankograd "TM" line, covering the WW2 US 105mm howitzers and the GMC CCKW truck. For Christmas my Santa (wife) got me "Patton's Vanguard" a history of the 4th Armored Division - I haven't had time to even open that one yet.

Gary B.

I have almost finished "To the Last Man" by Jeffery Shaara, a very good historical novel on WW I and am re-reading Sharpe's Havoc. I am also reading "With Musket, Cannon and Sword, Battle Tactics of Napoleon and his Enemies" by Brent Nosworthy.

I,m half way through “Devils on Horses “ which covers the Anzac Horseman in
The Middle east in WW1 ,The main focus is on the actions of the NZ mounted
Rifle units [as the book is written by a kiwi ] but it also covers the Australian light Horse units they fought alongside .
Its a pretty good read so far , and covers the trials of desert fighting for
man and horse very well .

Hi Vandilay

Thats sounds like a very interesting book please pm me with the ISBN etc I will put it on my look for list.

I am currently reading Sahib: The British Soldier in India By Richard Holmes. Very interesting so far but I am only about 45 pages in and its a pretty long one of 506 pages. Very good so far and well researched. I am also reading Durbar by Mortimer Menpes! Santa was quite good to me this year

All the best

Dave

Just finished "Quartered Safe out Here" by George MacDonald Fraser. The author of the Flashman and McAuslan series, this is the autobiographical tale of his war time experiences in Burma as a squaddie in the Border Regiment. His observations of his fellow platoon members plus his impish sense of humour make for a very satisfying read. I can recommend it to anyone with an interest in this part of the war.

I plan to start this one New Years Day - The Last Lincoln Conspirator - my wife gave it to me as one of my Christmas Gifts and the book is autographed by the author ! Really nice.

If you guys look on Wikipedia - search the Lincoln Conspirators - you will read some interesting stuff. On in particular is the short history on Lewis Powell - I didnt know he was from a Florida Confederate Unit and was wounded at Gettysburg and the stuff on John Surratt is what had made me mention this book to the wife on my X-mas list.

Anyway - we shall see how it reads. :D

Attachments

• user421_pic4335_1230657982.jpg
    user421_pic4335_1230657982.jpg
    11.6 KB · Views: 117
I am also reading "With Musket, Cannon and Sword, Battle Tactics of Napoleon and his Enemies" by Brent Nosworthy.

Excellent book. One of my favorites on the tactics of the Napoleonic Wars. A lot of historians don't buy into the "impulse" system and french tactical superiority, but I do. I think this book more than any other explains total french dominance on the battlefield between 1805-1807 and the subsequent near parity in the later years (1812-1815).

I would also recommend "The Battle" for the best narrative about Waterloo. I read it a few years ago and really enjoyed it.

I personally am finishing up "House to House" (battle of Fallujah) that my brother gave me for Christmas and then I'm going to resume reading Agincourt by Bernard Cornwell. I have some other light reading as well, but you guys would crucify me if I told you what it was! :D

The Moscow option, alternative second ww battles,,AWOL, the unexused absense of Americas upper classes from military service.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back