What are the Forum members reading (2 Viewers)

I'm just finishing up reading (My Fathers War) a very nice book,it really gives a perspective on what our fathers who fought in WWII went through, and the problems alot of them faced when they came home, it really hit home with me because my father hardly ever talked about the war and he was in Europe FROM 44-46 and saw alot of crazy stuff from what my older brothers told me, so the book was not only a good read but very informative on questions I had about my father......Sammy

Agreed ,,the book sounds like a good read, My father flew 48 missions in Europe,1944. Besides me bugging him for information I also never much heard him discuss flying,one exception in Chicago as a kid at a camera store in a commonly ethnic neighborhood. A german guy ,it turned out owned the business and noticed a document -copy we had brought in to get enhanced etc,it had a 15th AAf title,,he asked my dad if he flew then,,the guy mentioned he had been a "fighter pilot with the Luftwaffee"FW190s,,in austria,romania etc, when my father mentioned the 2nd bomb group the guy responded with" the black tails?" ,2nd bomb group B17s had black control surfaces and a single wing stripe,,needless to say the following conversation was priceless.

Last edited:
Just finished "Iwo Jima" by Larry Jenkins. An excellent book with about 2 dozen individual stories. Now reading "Ship of Ghosts" which is the story of the USS Houston.

I just reading Garry Wills' book about the Gettysburg Address. Highly, and I mean highly, recommended.

I am now starting Lincoln's Virtues: An Ethical Biography by William Lee Miller.

I just reading Garry Wills' book about the Gettysburg Address. Highly, and I mean highly, recommended.

They are putting a copy of the original Gettysburg address on display in the new GB visitors center later this month. You might think they would have one here, but nada. BTW: anyone who visits GB might get the impression that the address was delivered in the national cemetery where the large monument is located, but the exact location was in the adjoining Evergreen Cemetery.

The Wills book, in the appendices, touches on both these points.

Apparently, there were different copies (or drafts) of the Address; I glossed over that section for the most part.

Regarding the exact location, apparently the accepted location was determined in 1982 by Kathleen Harrison, the Park Historian, and is according to Wills, called the Harrison site.

FINANCIAL HEADLINES:eek:

TO THE ABOVE--- YES REALLY,,,,,,,,,,,I finished going thru one of Cattons early civil war works found at a dollar table,,about to start "we are soldiers still" joe galloways follow on novel.. He and Hal moore actually spent the night at lz xray due to transport and weather problems in the Ia Drang.

Finished "The Forgotten Man" a couple of weeks ago, and I started reading "Patriot Battles", ostenisbly about warfare in the Revolutionary War, but so far, it's pretty heavy on Marxist class analysis and revisionism, rather than how a company lined up and delivered a salvo.

Finished "The Forgotten Man" a couple of weeks ago, and I started reading "Patriot Battles", ostenisbly about warfare in the Revolutionary War, but so far, it's pretty heavy on Marxist class analysis and revisionism, rather than how a company lined up and delivered a salvo.

Thanks Baron,
I was thinking about getting this book but now I think I'll pass.
Mark

Thanks Baron,
I was thinking about getting this book but now I think I'll pass.
Mark

Well, you might still want to look at it, in your local bookstore, and decide for yourself. I'm only a short way into it, but I'm slowed by my decision to make notes as I go. But it certainly is not a book along the lines of Christopher Duffy's excellent books on the armies of Frederick the Great or Maria Theresa; I expected something like those books, based on the title, and on this blurb on the back cover:

"Michael Stephenson's Patriot Battles is a comprehensive and richly detailed study of the military aspects of the War of Independence, and a fascinating look at the nuts and bolts of eighteenth-century combat"

Imagine how disappointed I was, instead of reading about how a battallion was composed, or why neither side used cavalry that much, I found passages like this:

"One of the leading historians of the War of Independence has called the comparison with the Vietnam war, for example, "overwrought," and there is an understandable instinct to insulate the sanctity of the great war of national liberation from any association with some of the more "awkward" periods of American history. But the comparisons are illuminating because colonial wars share a basic architecture that arises when an occupying power far from the mother country tries to suppress a popular uprising. Also, viewing the War of Independence through the lens of other imperialist wars, particulary America's involvement in Vietnam and Iraq, helps rescue it from the Disney World of history to which it has been consigned." (Patriot Wars, Introduction, p. xix)

Apart from the fact that I don't expect to read the word "Vietnam" in a work on the Revolution, I disagree completely with the characterization of the War for Independence as a war of national liberation. From my reading of English, British and early American history, it was really a civil war, in fact, a continuation of conflicts that sparked the English Civil War, and carried forward to the 18th century. We were not occupied, we were British. Washington, Franklin, Hamilton, Hancock, they all saw themselves as citizens of a British world empire. (I also disagree that the Vietnam war can be characterized as a colonial war, at least, once the French were defeated (in fact, they never should have been allowed back after the Japanese were defeated). It was a civil war, exacerbated by the wider worldwide conflict between the Communists and the West.)

On the next page, Stephenson characterizes the Continental army as an all-volunteer force, like our contemporary Army, and he suggests that those who enlist only do so because of "economic hardship and the chance of betterment". Then he castigates both colonial society and modern American society for a lack of full mobilization and participation in each respective cause:

"The Humvee in the shopping mall is a safer option than the under-armored Humvee in Iraq, and flag-waving in the gated community does not require a bullet-proof vest. Certainly, any idea of sharing the burden more equitably was as politically unacceptable in eighteenth-century as in twenty-first century America." (p. xxi)

Um, where are the color tables of regimental facings?

Oh, then there's this gem, from Chapter 1, "A Choaky Mouthful". After discussing the ethnic background of the soldiers (heavy on Scots, Irish and German immigrants), Stephenson writes this about Von Heer's Provost Corps:

"In a somewhat more sinister example (italics mine-Brad) of the role of Germans in the Continental forces, the Marechaussee Corps, under the Prussian veteran Captain Bartholomew Von Heer ("von" shouldn't be capitalized-this guy was an editor for the Military Book Club?!-Brad), was formed on 27 May 1778 (sic). It was to act as Washington's mounted military police, sometimes being placed behind troops going into battle to prevent desertion, and also to assist the provost marshall in the grisly business of military executions." (p. 30).

"Sinister" Germans?! C'mon! I can picture Otto Prerminger playing Heer in the movie. What is sinister about the provost corps? (Well, if you're in the Army, you probably have a creative answer to that.) This is just crap. Every army had, and has, military police, and just because these were German immigrants, doesn't make them "sinister".

I may just have to get through a little more of this nonsense, to get to some really useful information. But you can decide for yourself. At least it was only sixteen bucks.

Seriously, the biogrpahical blurb on the back cover notes that Stephenson is the "former editor of the Military Book Club and the editor of National Geographic's Battlegrounds: Geography and the History of Warfare. He lives in New York City." Former editor-probably got fired.

Great, now I'm all het up again about how disappointing this book has been!

Interesting re Viet. and the Hummer,,here, N Dallas the Hummer is the national bird,not a lot of uparmor but sets of 22s added,participation in the wars these days might be a bit higher then the 2% nationaly as the vet population is quite large. I never saw a lot of indication the French left Vietnam ever,that well known tire co operated their huge rubber plantation along the border of Cambodia the entire eight years or so the 1st inf div suffered thousands of casualties in the surrounding area,,"try not to hurt the rubber trees or question the air america flites on the airfield " being the usual sop. Many monuments to the french military,foreign legion etc turned up in quite a few places,a good deal of the population was the result also of the french influence most delightfully in some younger females we remember fondly.

Am reading,"rod stewarts HO layout" in model railroader magazine,,"Whistle" a reference work on soldiers homecoming by James Jones,part of the Here to eternity trilogy

"Patriot Battles" is sitting right now, it's going to be a long slog through that one.

In the meantime, I've picked up, "FairTax: The Truth", by Neal Boortz and John Linder. Also rereading a Ludwig Thoma anthology (he was the German Mark Twain; well, it was my senior thesis to make that point).

I am reading the new 2008 book by Ret. Lt. General Harold Moore (now 86 years old) and Joseph Galloway.

Title: We Are Soldiers Still-- A journey back to the Battlefields of Viet Nam

This is a sequel from their earlier bestseller We were soldiers once.... And Young, and the movie with Mel Gibson playing General Moore. So far it is a good read and interesting participating Viet Nam Generals who commanded the troops in the battle of la Drang Valley. This book took 10 years before the information and interviews were given by Viet Nam. I recommend reading this book. Leadmen

I am reading the new 2008 book by Ret. Lt. General Harold Moore (now 86 years old) and Joseph Galloway.

Title: We Are Soldiers Still-- A journey back to the Battlefields of Viet Nam

This is a sequel from their earlier bestseller We were soldiers once.... And Young, and the movie with Mel Gibson playing General Moore. So far it is a good read and interesting participating Viet Nam Generals who commanded the troops in the battle of la Drang Valley. This book took 10 years before the information and interviews were given by Viet Nam. I recommend reading this book. Leadmen

We were soldiers once is a terrific movie and one of Mel Gibson's better acting roles and without the pc problems he got from some other movies he's been in, not that I'm saying he didn't deserve some of what he got.

I've been re-reading MONTCALM AND WOLFE, by Francis Parkman,CENTURY OF CONFLICT, by Joseph Lister Rutledge, and WILDERNESS EMPIRE, by Allen Eckert. Of course, there's always time for brief forays into other time periods as well, Ancient Egypt & French Rev./Napoleonic Eras among them.:p:D;):)

Good choices on the Eckert books. I bought the whole series but only read two so far. He sure gets into detail. Leadmen

Have received several PM's and emails from some very good friends lately. So against my better judgement;

I’ve previously mentioned that I enjoy Peter Hopkirk's excellent series of books about Central Asia. Been reading another one recently; “Foreign Devils on the Silk Road”.
The first quarter of the book provides a potted history of the Silk Road, an utterly engrossing subject in its own right. The rest of the book deals with the explorers and archaeologists who in the early years of the 20th century began investigating the legends of lost cities and rich oasis towns along the way, filled with silk, gold and ivory treasures lost beneath the sands of the Gobi, Lop and Taklamakan deserts.

Fascinating stuff especially for those such as myself who have a strong interest in China’s desolate “back of beyond” and full of extremely evocative place names along the silk road routes such as Kashgar, Urumchi, Balkh, Turfan, Merv, Samarkand, Bokhara, Tun-Huang, Hamadan, Srinagar – and Palmyra (Syria) plus Lhasa (Tibet), both of which I have actually been lucky enough to visit.

I’ve long thought these archaeological expeditions and certain elements from Kipling’s “Kim” (The Great Game) might be good speciality subjects for an addition to a certain manufacturer’s existing SOHK range. A sort of update to the now retired “Silk Road” range but covering the whole of Central Asia from Persia in the west to China in the east, Russia in the north and (of course) India in the south. With the advent of an expanded SOHK range and hopefully a new NW Frontier range I’m hoping this subject might be included as some future addition, with Russians, Chinese, Hindu, Sikh and Moslem (Afghan) warriors, and so on.

I’ve quoted an excerpt from the book below:-

Just to set the scene, it’s 1902, and two German explorers, archaeologist Albert von Le Coq, and engineer Theodor Bartus, are on a dig in Karakhoja (or Khocho, to use its ancient name) on the borders of the Gobi and Lop deserts in Western China, just within the foothills of the Tien Shan mountain range.
Maybe it’s just me, but I think the following could have been lifted straight out of a movie directed by John Houston in the 1940’s/1950’s.
I hope other members of the forum enjoy the book excerpt as much as I did.

“Even when they had finished their day’s work there was no respite for von Le Coq. The courtyard of the house in which they were staying would soon fill up with sick people, many of whom had travelled great distances and all of whom expected instant cures from the ‘Foreign Gentlemen’. As most of them were suffering from Rheumatism or malaria, with the help of aspirin and quinine and the medical training he had received in America, von Le coq soon acquired an unwanted reputation as a miracle healer and inevitably the number of his patients multiplied. One evening, by chance, he discovered an old woman at the gates in tears. She explained that she could not afford the ‘fee’ to see him. On further questioning he discovered to his horror that his landlord Saut was making a profitable sideline by charging all the sick a fee before allowing them into the courtyard. Von Le Coq was so angry that he gave him a couple of lashes with a riding whip – ‘the only time I ever struck a native’, he wrote. He also threatened to report the miscreant to the Wang of Lukchun, the local potentate, who, Saut knew, would punish him with the ‘big stick’, a heavy cane with an oar-shaped end. One stroke of this was enough to draw blood and twenty-five would kill a man. No sooner had the two Germans retired for the night than a loud wailing began outside. The wily Saut had sent his grandmother, mother, wife, beautiful daughter and all his other female relations to intercede on his behalf with sobs and gifts. Von Le Coq allowed himself to be persuaded on a promise of better behaviour in future.
One day, when the two Germans had been working at Karakhoja for some time, two local dignitaries called on them saying: ‘Sir, it is not good that you two should live alone. You must marry.’ Von Le Coq explained that they already had wives, but this was brushed aside. The dignitaries own daughters were ready to marry them, the Germans were told. ‘This@, wrote von Le Coq, ‘was an unpleasant revelation.’
Anxious not to hurt local feelings, he thanked the men profusely, saying that in Berlin he and Bartus would receive twenty-five strokes with the big stick if they were discovered by the Kaiser to have taken second wives.
In spite of such distractions, work at Karakhoja continued steadily……….

Hey Heid, nice to see you posting!:):D

I loved Hopkirk's "The Great Game", so I will definitely grab a copy of "Foreign Devils on the Silk Road". A buddy of mine who is a retired Lt. Colonel in the U.S. Army, Jim Wapelhorst, had done some NATO exercises with Turkish forces back in the 1990's, and we always talked about using his connections in the Turkish Military to hire some troops as protection, and trying to trace some of the route taken by the author of "Across Asia Minor on Horseback", my copy of which Hopkirk had written the introduction.

Have received several PM's and emails from some very good friends lately. So against my better judgement;

I’ve previously mentioned that I enjoy Peter Hopkirk's excellent series of books about Central Asia. Been reading another one recently; “Foreign Devils on the Silk Road”.
The first quarter of the book provides a potted history of the Silk Road, an utterly engrossing subject in its own right. The rest of the book deals with the explorers and archaeologists who in the early years of the 20th century began investigating the legends of lost cities and rich oasis towns along the way, filled with silk, gold and ivory treasures lost beneath the sands of the Gobi, Lop and Taklamakan deserts.

Fascinating stuff especially for those such as myself who have a strong interest in China’s desolate “back of beyond” and full of extremely evocative place names along the silk road routes such as Kashgar, Urumchi, Balkh, Turfan, Merv, Samarkand, Bokhara, Tun-Huang, Hamadan, Srinagar – and Palmyra (Syria) plus Lhasa (Tibet), both of which I have actually been lucky enough to visit.

I’ve long thought these archaeological expeditions and certain elements from Kipling’s “Kim” (The Great Game) might be good speciality subjects for an addition to a certain manufacturer’s existing SOHK range. A sort of update to the now retired “Silk Road” range but covering the whole of Central Asia from Persia in the west to China in the east, Russia in the north and (of course) India in the south. With the advent of an expanded SOHK range and hopefully a new NW Frontier range I’m hoping this subject might be included as some future addition, with Russians, Chinese, Hindu, Sikh and Moslem (Afghan) warriors, and so on.

I’ve quoted an excerpt from the book below:-

Just to set the scene, it’s 1902, and two German explorers, archaeologist Albert von Le Coq, and engineer Theodor Bartus, are on a dig in Karakhoja (or Khocho, to use its ancient name) on the borders of the Gobi and Lop deserts in Western China, just within the foothills of the Tien Shan mountain range.
Maybe it’s just me, but I think the following could have been lifted straight out of a movie directed by John Houston in the 1940’s/1950’s.
I hope other members of the forum enjoy the book excerpt as much as I did.

“Even when they had finished their day’s work there was no respite for von Le Coq. The courtyard of the house in which they were staying would soon fill up with sick people, many of whom had travelled great distances and all of whom expected instant cures from the ‘Foreign Gentlemen’. As most of them were suffering from Rheumatism or malaria, with the help of aspirin and quinine and the medical training he had received in America, von Le coq soon acquired an unwanted reputation as a miracle healer and inevitably the number of his patients multiplied. One evening, by chance, he discovered an old woman at the gates in tears. She explained that she could not afford the ‘fee’ to see him. On further questioning he discovered to his horror that his landlord Saut was making a profitable sideline by charging all the sick a fee before allowing them into the courtyard. Von Le Coq was so angry that he gave him a couple of lashes with a riding whip – ‘the only time I ever struck a native’, he wrote. He also threatened to report the miscreant to the Wang of Lukchun, the local potentate, who, Saut knew, would punish him with the ‘big stick’, a heavy cane with an oar-shaped end. One stroke of this was enough to draw blood and twenty-five would kill a man. No sooner had the two Germans retired for the night than a loud wailing began outside. The wily Saut had sent his grandmother, mother, wife, beautiful daughter and all his other female relations to intercede on his behalf with sobs and gifts. Von Le Coq allowed himself to be persuaded on a promise of better behaviour in future.
One day, when the two Germans had been working at Karakhoja for some time, two local dignitaries called on them saying: ‘Sir, it is not good that you two should live alone. You must marry.’ Von Le Coq explained that they already had wives, but this was brushed aside. The dignitaries own daughters were ready to marry them, the Germans were told. ‘This@, wrote von Le Coq, ‘was an unpleasant revelation.’
Anxious not to hurt local feelings, he thanked the men profusely, saying that in Berlin he and Bartus would receive twenty-five strokes with the big stick if they were discovered by the Kaiser to have taken second wives.
In spite of such distractions, work at Karakhoja continued steadily……….

I seem to remeber yuour great ancestro Harry "Anderson" Flashman being in similar predicaments with teh local lasses all over teh world. He aslo had to stoically put up with it I suppose.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back