What are the Forum members reading (5 Viewers)

I'm reading the Lords of Kilbourn which followed the Lords of Lawndale about a white street gang in Chicago from the old hood.

"Doomed at the start",,the 21st Pursuit group in the Phillipines,Dec-april 1942,,P35s,P40s Vs the Japanese AF, every problem imaginable from inexperienced pilots to parts and airplane shortages,,knocked out radar almost on day one and little or no intel-warning system, lack of experience and training on P40s plus non firing guns,little or no tactics learned against the Zero or other aircraft in spite of that provided by the AVG and Chennault. After an incredible hard fight in spite of it all further heavy losses after the surrender. A fine read for the second time w great photos.

"Doomed at the start",,the 21st Pursuit group in the Phillipines,Dec-april 1942,,P35s,P40s Vs the Japanese AF, every problem imaginable from inexperienced pilots to parts and airplane shortages,,knocked out radar almost on day one and little or no intel-warning system, lack of experience and training on P40s plus non firing guns,little or no tactics learned against the Zero or other aircraft in spite of that provided by the AVG and Chennault. After an incredible hard fight in spite of it all further heavy losses after the surrender. A fine read for the second time w great photos.

Thanks for that tip, Bromhead! I'm going to add this to my wish list.

Prost!
Brad

3:16 numbers of hope, by Max Lucado, will probably start reading about the Arab Israeli conflict next. Been mostly listening to audio cd classes on American History and the Renaissance. Getting ready to start on eon ww1. Great to listen to while I am painting. They are by the Teaching company.

"Chennault and the Flying tigers" Smithsonian aviation series,,out of storage and a great detailed re read

I have been reading "A Doughboy in the Fighting 69th" by A. Churchill Ettinger, a both entertaining and educational first person account of serving in the Rainbow Division during WWI. A buddy of mine gave me a first edition hardcover autographed by the author.

Finished "Atlas Shrugged" yesterday. It took a while, especially getting through the 70 pages of John Galt's radio broadcast, which Rand used as the vehicle to explain her philosophy. She does have a habit of running on a bit through some of the characters' dialog, but on the other hand, she was a very keen and astute observer of human nature, and how modern politics work. When you read her description of the dystopic America and the world, and look at some things we've done, or allowed to happen, for over 70 years, it's uncanny.

I recommend it.

Now, having finished "Atlas Shrugged", I should go back and finish "The Fountainhead". I just couldn't make the last 30 yards of that one, but it's not even half as long, and just as compelling.

But in the meantime, on to some history reading!

Prost!
Brad

To pierce the tyrants heart by Greg Blake. The story of the eureka stockade has become almost pure myth over the years with images of unarmed heroic miners protesting against an oppresive government being slaughtered by blood crazed police and soldiery. Greg Blake has done a fine job of seperating truth from myth and revealing the real causes and effects of the rebellion presenting a story that is both enjoyable and informative.

Currently enjoying The Waterloo Companion and The Spanish Ulcer. If you are interested in the Napoleonic Wars, both are excellent.

I have just started reading "Stalingrad - The Fateful Siege: 1942-1943" by Antony Beevor.

The first part of the book is on Barbarossa and how th 6th Army ended up in Stalingrad. Well written.

Terry

I have just started reading "Stalingrad - The Fateful Siege: 1942-1943" by Antony Beevor.

The first part of the book is on Barbarossa and how th 6th Army ended up in Stalingrad. Well written.

Terry

Excellent book,he's a very good author.

Rob

Not TS related but I read a good book on the Matewan massacre called "Thunder in the Mountains: The West Virginia Mine War 1920-21". Interesting book about coal mining politics and the union movement. It is a quick read and you won't believe what labor politics are capable of. -- lancer

Have this morning just opened a parcel and took delivery of 'Arnhem 1944-The Airborne Battle' by Martin Middlebrook,the same Mr Middlebrook who wrote the excellent 'First day on the Somme' all those years ago.

Rob

Have this morning just opened a parcel and took delivery of 'Arnhem 1944-The Airborne Battle' by Martin Middlebrook,the same Mr Middlebrook who wrote the excellent 'First day on the Somme' all those years ago.

Rob
Good book. For all you Arnhem fans, do not miss Kershaw's "It Never Snows in September", done from German POV. -- lancer

Yesterday I started reading "The diary of a Napoleonic Foot Soldier" by Jakob Walter (autobiography). This guy (a German stonemason) served in the Grand Army between 1806 and 1813. He is one of the fewest who went to Moscow and came back. As a foreign soldier in the French army, his perspective on this captivating period is fascinating.

Listening to "Redcoat" by Bernard Cornwell. Like someone else previously stated I really enjoy listening to books while I paint figures.

I have just started to read Gettysburg-The First Day by Harry W. Pfanz.

I am planning to go to Gettysburg in March.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back