What are the Forum members reading (4 Viewers)

Three roads to the Alamo, by William C. Davis. Not a book about the battle, although that is dealt with at no great length, but a biographical sketch of the three icons of the mission, Bowie, Crocket and Travis. Davis has made an extensive study including gaining access to the rarely seen Mexican archives and exposes many of the myths surrounding these men and their exploits. The extensive foot notes are in themselves a worth while read. Recommend it to anypne with an interest in the Alamo.

Now back to Wilbur Smith's Triumph of the Sun. It begins in Khartoum during the siege of Gordon...:cool:
Mike

Just wrapped up General Patton (Hirshson) and The Secret Speech by Tom Rob Smith. Now Im on to A Soldier's Story, Omar Bradley's war memoirs.

Just wrapped up General Patton (Hirshson) and The Secret Speech by Tom Rob Smith. Now Im on to A Soldier's Story, Omar Bradley's war memoirs.

That sounds good,i'd like to know more about Bradley.

Rob

About to start reading Juno: Canadians at D-Day June 6, 1944 by Ted Barris and Holding Juno: Canada's Heroic Defence of the D-Day Beaches: June 7-12, 1944 by Mark Zuehlke. Getting ready for the delivery of the Canadian soldiers in July.

Terry

That sounds a good read.Just thought i'd say (you probably know already)that there is a new book called 'Canadian Army and the Normandy Campaign' by Stackpole books out on 15th October,sounds like a another good one.

Rob

That sounds a good read.Just thought i'd say (you probably know already)that there is a new book called 'Canadian Army and the Normandy Campaign' by Stackpole books out on 15th October,sounds like a another good one.

Rob

Thanks Rob. I did not know about that new book. It should be a good one to read after the first two as it covers a much longer period. Our online bookstore says it will be available in November. Should make a good Christmas present.

Terry

Thanks Rob. I did not know about that new book. It should be a good one to read after the first two as it covers a much longer period. Our online bookstore says it will be available in November. Should make a good Christmas present.

Terry

No probs mate,might get it myself.

Rob

I just finished two very interesting books both of which I would recommend.

1. "Legionary The Roman Soldier's Unofficial Manual" by Philip Matyszak

Very interesting, explains how Roman grew her empire, and gives a very interesting insite in to the soldiers existance. I immediately ordered some
Roman troops to man my Arch.:D

2. "Valkyrie" by Philipp Freiherr von Boeselager

Not at all what I expected but very interesting. A behind the scenes look from the last member of the plot to kill Hitler.

I found both of these to be books you did not want to put down. A very enjoyable read over a few nights.:)

That sounds good,i'd like to know more about Bradley.

Rob

Im only up to the invasion of Sicily but its pretty interesting so far. Bradley has some weird things he does as a writer that makes you have to re-read some sentences to catch his meaning. But overall its a great narrative of his experiences.

If youve seen the movie Patton youve almost read the book; Patton was largely based off A Soldier's Story.

I'm reading anything I find on the Internet concerning WWII in the Far East from around 1936 to around 1943.

Cheers
H

Mostly reading "A terrible glory" about the Little Bighorn campaign at the moment.

Mostly reading "A terrible glory" about the Little Bighorn campaign at the moment.

By Jiminey Dave-you won't get many accolades on here for reading "A Terrible Glory" afterall it's about that murdering idiot Custer-voted the worst general in the history of the United States :D

And I don't expect any with my latest acquisition "Selling Your Father's Bones"-America's 140 year war against the Nez Perce tribe.

Regardless- both are excellent reading material.

Reb

By Jiminey Dave-you won't get many accolades on here for reading "A Terrible Glory" afterall it's about that murdering idiot Custer-voted the worst general in the history of the United States :D

And I don't expect any with my latest acquisition "Selling Your Father's Bones"-America's 140 year war against the Nez Perce tribe.

Regardless- both are excellent reading material.

Reb

:D:D

Well I don't generally feel like a sordid type, Bob, but now you've given me a complex. I think I'll finish this one anyway though, as it is getting quite good at the moment. Could you please suggest any other good books on the subject by the way? I was truly meaning to ask you this question anyway.

Cheers,
MD

:D:D

Well I don't generally feel like a sordid type, Bob, but now you've given me a complex. I think I'll finish this one anyway though, as it is getting quite good at the moment. Could you please suggest any other good books on the subject by the way? I was truly meaning to ask you this question anyway.

Cheers,
MD

If you want a book that debunks Custer from page 1. to page 236. try Glory Hunter.

If you want one that hails him as a darn fine leader try Kick the Dead Lion-but I wouldn't recommend that to any with a 21st century view of the Indian Wars. However, both books are interesting reads as comparisons.

But one of the best I have read with a completely unbiased style of analysis throughout is To Hell With Honor by Larry Sklenar. Thoroughly recommended

Bob

If you want a book that debunks Custer from page 1. to page 236. try Glory Hunter.

If you want one that hails him as a darn fine leader try Kick the Dead Lion-but I wouldn't recommend that to any with a 21st century view of the Indian Wars. However, both books are interesting reads as comparisons.

But one of the best I have read with a completely unbiased style of analysis throughout is To Hell With Honor by Larry Sklenar. Thoroughly recommended

Bob

Thanks for the comprehensive reading list, Bob. I think I will look for all 3 as it seems like a good compromise in this case. :)

Cheers,
MD

I just finished Len Deighton's book "Fighter", an excellent comprehensive analysis of the Battle of Britain (given to me by Kevin "Panda1gen" Elliott). I highly recommend it.

I'm readin' Cawnpore and Lucknow by D.S. Richards and finishing The face of the Battle by Keegan..:)both of them great reading!

I just finished Len Deighton's book "Fighter", an excellent comprehensive analysis of the Battle of Britain (given to me by Kevin "Panda1gen" Elliott). I highly recommend it.

Louis,

Glad you liked it -I love his books, all of them.:)

Louis,

Glad you liked it -I love his books, all of them.:)

Kevin,

After reading about what those prigs did to Dowding, I wanted to take a trip back in time and tell them to go spit. We all owe him an enormous dept of gratitude, and, while you will rarely see me bad mouth a combat veteran, I thought that what Douglas Bader did was dispicable. In addition to being thoroughly enlightened about the personalities involved, I learned an enormous amount of technical information about the battle and the technology that made it possible. Thanks again for a terrific read.

I just picked up "Beyond Band of Brothers", Dick Winters' account of his service in WWII, and I can't wait to start reading it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back