What are the Forum members reading (2 Viewers)

Kevin,

After reading about what those prigs did to Dowding, I wanted to take a trip back in time and tell them to go spit. We all owe him an enormous dept of gratitude, and, while you will rarely see me bad mouth a combat veteran, I thought that what Douglas Bader did was dispicable. In addition to being thoroughly enlightened about the personalities involved, I learned an enormous amount of technical information about the battle and the technology that made it possible. Thanks again for a terrific read.

I just picked up "Beyond Band of Brothers", Dick Winters' account of his service in WWII, and I can't wait to start reading it.

Louis, I was left as outraged as you. His others are just as enlightened and well researched.

I am reading "The Cause Lost: Myths and Realities of the Confederacy" by William C Davis. It was published by The University of Kansas Press. He clarifies a lot of issues in short essay form.

What other WWII subjects has he addressed?

I have just finished 'blood tears and folly' by Len Deighton, a look at WW2 with some very interesting info and insights, for example German naval radar gunnery being superior to the British in the early war, views on the air war, Japan, Russia etc etc

For example, I didn't know that Chenault pinched the sharks teeth on his P-40flying tigersfrom RAF desert P-40's. (that also explained your warhawk Louis)

isbn - 978-0-099-52049-8

Years ago I had 'Bomber' which is also brilliant.

I have just finished 'blood tears and folly' by Len Deighton, a look at WW2 with some very interesting info and insights, for example German naval radar gunnery being superior to the British in the early war, views on the air war, Japan, Russia etc etc

For example, I didn't know that Chenault pinched the sharks teeth on his P-40flying tigersfrom RAF desert P-40's. (that also explained your warhawk Louis)

isbn - 978-0-099-52049-8

Years ago I had 'Bomber' which is also brilliant.

It wasn't Chenault, one of the AVG pilots saw a photo of the RAF Tomahawks in Life Magazine (although I thought I recalled the photo being of Aussie P40's), and wanted the Shark's Mouth on his bird. All the pilots liked it so much it was universally adopted across the unit.

I will need to grab these two books as well, sounds like they will be a great read. Thanks again, brother!:cool::cool:

It wasn't Chenault, one of the AVG pilots saw a photo of the RAF Tomahawks in Life Magazine (although I thought I recalled the photo being of Aussie P40's), and wanted the Shark's Mouth on his bird. All the pilots liked it so much it was universally adopted across the unit.

I will need to grab these two books as well, sounds like they will be a great read. Thanks again, brother!:cool::cool:

Thanks for putting me right, it was still news to me that the RAF did it first. Enjoy.

Just getting started on another LBH book suggested by UKReb titled "To Hell with Honor." Struck by how skillfully written this is so far and suspect it will be hard to put down as a result. Thanks Bob.

Also have "They Died with Custer: Bones from the LBH" on the way for an encore. :)

MD

Just finished A Soldier's Story (which I thought was fantastic as far as memoirs go.) Now Ill be picking up Joe Ellis' American Creation.

Just re-read Walter Lord's "Incredible Victory" again this weekend. I try to read it on the anniversary of Midway every year, but couldn't get to it on time.

It's dated, of course, especially in details about the Japanese strategic and tactical decisions. "Shattered Sword" gives a much clearer look at why Yamamoto and Nagumo made the decisions they did. But Lord's book is still a great read, for all of the eyewitness material that he collected.

Still in progress on "Atlas Shrugged", I have about a third of the book to go.

I haven't picked up that Revolutionary War book in ages (see posts from October or so), it's basically worthless.

Prost!
Brad

Brad,

American Creation?

lol, I had to go digging back to the start of the thread, to refresh my memory, it's been that long. It's called, "Patriot Battles," (subtitled, "How the War of Independence Was Fought") by Michael Stephenson.

Here's the link back to my post from last summer, with my first impressions, having just started the book:

http://www.treefrogtreasures.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9476&page=13

I still stand by those and subsequent comments about the book. I will finish it, eventually, because I make it a point to finish a book, once I start it. But it's like the first time you had to eat creamed spinach as a kid.

As an aside, going back to the top of the thread has made me realize that we've kept this one going for almost a year now. Good job, guys!

Prost!
Brad

I havent read a whole lot about the war itself. Ive been through all of Joe Ellis' books (my favorite being American Spinx: Thomas Jefferson) and David McCulliffe's John Adams (another of my favorites).

I read and enjoyed very much the Adams biography, too--it was a find in the dealer mart at Cold Wars this past March. I have his "1776", too, and recommend it.

Now if I could only find the old "George Washington" miniseries on DVD...

I am starting "The Battleship Yamato" and "Hemi Muscle Gallery" hows that

for variety!:D

Finished Cawnpore & Lucknow by Richards , finishing The Face of the Battle by Keegan, i'm devouring the (really) funny memoirs of Ned Costello of the 95th Rifles in the Napoleonic Wars!

Finally reading Six Frigates (The Epic History of the Founding of The U.S. Navy) By Ian Toll

Jim

Just finished "The Last of the Bushrangers" by F.A.Hare. The story of Ned Kelly written by one of the main officers detailed to pursue him. Unlike modern writers Hare makes no attempt to pyschoanalize Kelly in an effort to find out why he went off the rails. Hare's story is simple, Kelly was a bad man, I was set to capture him, this is what I did. A plain tale told in plain terms. Very readable.

Compared to some of the other material mentioned here I am doing some light reading - I just picked up three more Osprey volumes "Operation Dragoon, 1944", "Landing Craft Infantry and Fire Support", and "Rooseveldt Rough Rider". All three are very good and easy reading.

Gary

I'm actually stating two.War on the Run about Robert Rogers and A Terrible Glory about The Little Big Horn.I also have two coming, Masters of War about George Thomas and one about Henry Hudson called Fatal Journey.
Mark

Mark

I enjoyed A Terrible Glory-well written and easy to read.

Have just started Lost Triumph-Lee's Real Plan at Gettysburg-And Why It Failed-another intriguing read.

Reb

Users who are viewing this thread

Back