What are the Forum members reading (1 Viewer)

Just finished "Comanche Six". It's a retired Army Colonel's account of one of his tours of duty as a company commander in Nam. Very well written.

It was kind of funny seeing that book again- I thought I lost it- bought it back in 1992 and was reading it at Ft. Irwin at NTC. When we got back I must have packed it up in a duffle bag and never saw it again till a couple weeks ago. Still had some dustbowl in it!! :D:D

I just started the Chandler's Campaigns of Napoleon . It is a classic that I never got around to and is quite interesting so far.

Just finished re-reading Brig.Gen. James Devereux's book "The Story of Wake Island". Have'nt read it since late 60's and I had quite forgotten how well done it is. A very inspiring story and well worth reading as it has the advantage of being written by the island CO and ranking eyewitness.
Also just started Gerald Astor's "Wings of Gold". It is a history of the US Naval air campaign in WW2. Obviously it is mainly Pacific but does have some Atlantic anti-sub warfare stuff. -- Al

I just started to read, "Shattered Sword, Tee Untold Story of the Battle of Midway". This book uses Japanesse sources not previously used and tries to correct some of the myths that have grown around this famous battle.

I just started to read, "Shattered Sword, Tee Untold Story of the Battle of Midway". This book uses Japanesse sources not previously used and tries to correct some of the myths that have grown around this famous battle.
You will enjoy this book. It has been discussed here before. An excellently researched piece of work that debunks some earlier theories on the Japanese defeat. Great read. -- Al

Just started on 'Battle of the Frontiers - Ardennes 1914' by Terence Zuber. This book is a history of the early Franco-German encounters before the onset of trench warfare in the Great War. One of the interesting facets of this book is the detailed description of German tactics and training, the heavy reliance on junior officers and NCOs battlefield initiative and tactical doctrine.

WW1 buffs may appreciate the accounts of Neufchateau and Bellefontaine, battles of maneouvre with massed ranks of red-trousered poilou against successive waves of picklehaube wearing infantry. One of the most striking aspects of the book is despite the mass use of modern firepower sweeping across the battlefield and the elan of the French offensive, not much changed since had changed since the conflict of 1870 between the same protagonists.

For any Napoleonic fans...Just done reading Napoleon's Pyramids and its 1st sequel the Rosetta Key from William Dietrich (from my home State and a Pulitzer prize winner :)). Very well written and highly detailed on the Egyptian campaign and its stakeholders. Lots of colorful details on the Mameluke army and battles as well. Nice plot, love story (the hero is American!) and lots of suspense. Very entertaining in one word! I am starting on the 3rd volume: the Dakota Cypher. Will report when I am done with this one :)

Just finished the Dakota Cypher...Overall not as good as the 2 previous books of this series. W. Dietrich is loosing steam here. The plot is sort of a prequel of Lewis and Clark expedition.

Finished 'Guns, Germs, and Steel' and am reading 'Rats, Lice, and History'. I also finished Pirate Latitudes, a Creighton book published posthumously. I think he kept in his files because it smacks too much of Pirates Of The Caribbean.

Rising Tide. Early part of the American entry to WWII. Written by Jeffery Sharra.

A bit slow I think. It is a novel that I am halfway through. Will tell more later.

Currently reading a new book on the first battle of the Marne called, wait for it, "The Marne, 1914" by Holger Herwig. Very impressed with it. Very clearly written and constructed. The book covers the opening of the war through the battle of the Marne itself. Takes an unusual bent in that it heavily covers the German side of events. All the other accounts I have ever read were mostly allied views. This also covers the allied view but delves deeply into the German. Some very interesting coverage involving the Belgian army and civilians as well. Gives the reader a great feel for the massive numbers involved and the difficulties that resulted in controlling such huge armies effectively. Will also reinforce what shockingly large casualties were inflicted in the opening months. No other year of the war equalled the losses in the first four months of the conflict. -- Al

Just finished re-reading for the 4th (5th?) time Lt. Col. Mike Snook's, 'How Can Man Die Better - The Secrets of Isandlwana Revealed' which I think is the very best book on the battle by a country mile. No-one knows for certain how the final part of the battle went, but what Mike works out from all the evidence and his knowledge of the British Army in the late C19th just makes so much sense. Many other accounts are like Swiss cheese in comparison.

I believe Mike is now finishing on a book about the Nile Campaign - which is timely given the forthcoming Britains releases. I can't wait.

After 'going through' Isandlwana (and it does feel like that reading the book), logically I should now re-read his 'Like Wolves On the Fold - The Defense of Rorke's Drift', but Mike's other wonderful book, 'Into The Jaws of Death - British Military Blunders, 1879-1900', is calling, and it does deal with Abu Klea. I hear the call of Nile.

Just finished re-reading for the 4th (5th?) time Lt. Col. Mike Snook's, 'How Can Man Die Better - The Secrets of Isandlwana Revealed' which I think is the very best book on the battle by a country mile. No-one knows for certain how the final part of the battle went, but what Mike works out from all the evidence and his knowledge of the British Army in the late C19th just makes so much sense. Many other accounts are like Swiss cheese in comparison.

I believe Mike is now finishing on a book about the Nile Campaign - which is timely given the forthcoming Britains releases. I can't wait.

After 'going through' Isandlwana (and it does feel like that reading the book), logically I should now re-read his 'Like Wolves On the Fold - The Defense of Rorke's Drift', but Mike's other wonderful book, 'Into The Jaws of Death - British Military Blunders, 1879-1900', is calling, and it does deal with Abu Klea. I hear the call of Nile.

Both (all three) are excellent reads...He was the CO of the RRW of 24th,SWB fame.
I just did not agree with his time and space theeory as it applied to one man-Durnford. HCMDB is very well written though.

Mike

I know what you mean about his Durnford conclusions, they don't feel as solid. Perhaps it's just an 'infantryman' commenting upon a 'cavalryman'. However he is very good on the probable actions and fate of the various companies of the 24th.

Re-reading E.B. Sledge's "With the Old Breed" for first time in almost 30 years. I had almost forgotten just how good it is. Obviously my interest was fired by HBO's Pacific. This is simply one of the best war memoirs that has been written. Fascinating from start to finish, it just not drag or bore anywhere. To those of you who have not read this, do so, you will not be disappointed. If you have read it, then you know how good it is. -- Al

I'm reading the second novel from Historian and author James Holland entitled 'Darkest Hour',it follows the hero of his first novel Sgt Jack Tanner as he is sent to France and joins the bid to stop the German advance.Its a rip roaring tale of action and heroics in the style of the old Commando comics of the seventies.James Holland has also written some excellent histories including 'Together we stand' (North Africa) and 'Fortress Malta'.He has his newest book out in less than two weeks 'The Battle of Britain' which I'm looking forward too.

Rob

I read Together We Stand and liked parts of it but his tendency to refer to people by first names drove me a little crazy. He also wrote a book about Italy, which I might have purchased but Rick Atkinson covered some of the same areas in his Day of Battle.

I am reading two books at the same time:

1- Crusaders seen by the Arabics

2- Commentarii de Bello Gallico - Gallic Wars direct describes by Julius Caesar during is campaign in Gaulle

Just finished "Alexander Hamilton" by Ron Chernow. This is the best biography I have ever read. I didn't know anything about Hamilton before reading this but am an admirer warts and all after reading.
A great but flawed character (like most of the founding fathers) who came to a tragic but almost suitable end.
Washington is also covered well. I had often thought of him and a godlike character over-praised by Americans but after reading this I developed a great respect for him.
This book was even better that I got it for 50 cents at a jumble sale.

At the recommendation of Rob and Simon, I got a couple of James Holland's WWII novels. I decided to start with "A Pair of Silver Wings," because you know how much I love warbirds. I am about halfway though, and it is one of the best novels about a man's experiences at war that I have ever read. I am really impressed with Holland's prose.:cool::cool::cool::cool:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back