What are the Forum members reading (2 Viewers)

Just finished re-reading Michael Crichton's "The Lost World", not bad for a sequel, and a sequel that Spielberg and the studio wanted, not that Crichton wanted, at that. Like pretty much every one of his books that I've read, I just pick it up and read it start to finish, he really keeps your interest.

And having re-read it, I'll say, this is what should have been filmed. The screenplay butchered the plot even worse than "Jurassic Park" did to the original novel. The characters are much better, and there's more of a story and more of a moral. And more animals in the book than made it to the screen (though many were left on the cutting room floor).

Prost!
Brad

Just finished the "Warlord" triology by Bernard Cornwall. Excellent series and in my opinion a more accurate estimation of what life was like in the Dark Ages rather than the revisionist attitude of archeologist Francis Pryor who seems to think that the Viking and Saxon incursions were made by peaceful farmers full of "ritual". A well meaning and very learned man who has the unfortunate tendancy to put my built in crap detector into overdrive.

Just finished James Holland's "The Odin Mission". Loved Sergeant Jack Tanner and Corporal Sykes - great stuff.:cool::cool: I will be buying the next two books in the series. After also enjoying his RAF novel "A Pair of Silver Wings", I already ordered another RAF novel by Holland a couple of days ago.

Nearly finished 'To do and Die' by Patrick Mercer. The first in the Tony Morgan series. It's based in the Crimea War. Very enjoyable. Got his second Tony Morgan book lines up: called 'Dust and Steel', set during the Indian Mutiny. Very impressed so far!

Just finished "Tank Twins " It about two brothers in Churchill tanks from D-Day to the end of the war & cover Normandy , Market Garden + Battle of the Bugle + it a great read ;)

Gentle Friends,

I have long been interested in the indigeous peoples of Central and South America. Specifically, my interests have centered around the Aztec, Mayan, and Inca cultures. Most recently, I have completed my reading of the book, The Last Days of the Incas by Kim MacQuarrie (ISBN #: 978-0-7432-6050-3).

Drawing upon primary sources, the author reviews the history of Francisco Pizarro and his family as they discover and interact with the Incas. The known history of the Incas is discussed in depth including descriptions of their government, their armies, their religion, their rulers, their conflicts, etc. The battles between the Spanirds and the Incas are presented in vivid detail, including the Battle of Cajamarca in which the Inca Emperor, Atahaulpa, was captured and ultimately cruelly executed. The flight of the Incas into the mountains and the establishment of their hidden capital, Vilcabamba, from which they conducted a deadly 36 year guerrilla war with the Spaniards, is thoroughly covered.

I found this book and the story contain therein to be extremely informative, thrilling, and, at times, spellbinding. Further, it is extremely readable and, while the amount of research conducted by the author is evident, it does not read like a textbook. I highly recommend this book to anyone interested in learning more about the Inca culture and history. It is a captivating story.

Warmest personal regards,

Pat :)

I'm about 2/3 done with James Holland's "The Burning Blue", another very well written and authentic RAF novel. I am really enjoying it, even more than I enjoyed the excellent RAF novels by Frank Barnard. Thanks Rob and Simon for pointing towards this author, he is quite entertaining.:)

Re-reading Prof. Prange's "Miracle at Midway"; I like to take out my various Midway books are read them at the anniversary. A little late start this year, but still timely.

Prost!
Brad

Re-reading Prof. Prange's "Miracle at Midway"; I like to take out my various Midway books are read them at the anniversary. A little late start this year, but still timely.

Prost!
Brad
Good choice, Brad. I liked Prange's book very much and combining it with the newer Shattered Sword by Parshall and Tulley gives a great view of the Midway campaign. -- Al

I have been reading several books lately. Have finished Gettysburg by Sears (thanks to members who suggested it) and found it to be a great read. It is the first over-all history of the campaign I have read in years. Coddington was the last one I read (very good, but dry) and I have been reading many books on individual aspects as opposed to the whole over-all view. Highly recommended. I also finished The Unknown Battle of Midway: The Destruction of the American Torpedo Squadrons by Alvin Kernan. I found this a very good and instructive read. It is a story of ignorance, politics, faulty tactics and equipment, but ultimately, unequaled bravery and devotion to duty. Well worth the time, especially for Midway readers. The next book is one I have been waiting for someone to write ever since I fell in love with the French Army of WW1, when I was in HS some 40 years ago. It is the first specific history, in English, of the opening battles of WW1, on the westfront. It is titled The Battle of the Frontiers: Ardennes 1914. This is a very academic and detailed study strictly of the opening battles in and around the Ardennes and does not go into the Marne. It is told from both sides but mainly German as they were the winners here. There is a very detailed section on tactics and training and then chapters on the individual clashes themselves, including Rossignol (a particular favorite, involving the French 3rd Colonial Division), Neufchateau, Longwy, and 5 others. These opening battles took place August 21-24 and were noteworthy for the vindication of German tactical docturne over French docturne and the resulting slaughter of the French infantry. For example, at Rossignol, on Aug.22, the Colonial Corps engaged in a particulary fierce battle. Part of the Corps, the 3rd CD, lost some 10,500 men, KIA, WIA, POW. Estimates were that 6000 of the 10,500 total were KIA. The 3rd CD had about 15,000 to start with. Casualties amongst the rest of the Corps were also extremely heavy. Total French dead for Aug.22 were around 27,000 men, in all engagements. This book is not a POV history but is very technical and a great job of finally recording these actions for the English speaking world that has been largely unknown, in detail, prior to this. I highly recommend it for you WW1 scholars. -- Al

I have been reading several books lately. Have finished Gettysburg by Sears (thanks to members who suggested it) and found it to be a great read. It is the first over-all history of the campaign I have read in years. Coddington was the last one I read (very good, but dry) and I have been reading many books on individual aspects as opposed to the whole over-all view. Highly recommended. I also finished The Unknown Battle of Midway: The Destruction of the American Torpedo Squadrons by Alvin Kernan. I found this a very good and instructive read. It is a story of ignorance, politics, faulty tactics and equipment, but ultimately, unequaled bravery and devotion to duty. Well worth the time, especially for Midway readers. The next book is one I have been waiting for someone to write ever since I fell in love with the French Army of WW1, when I was in HS some 40 years ago. It is the first specific history, in English, of the opening battles of WW1, on the westfront. It is titled The Battle of the Frontiers: Ardennes 1914. This is a very academic and detailed study strictly of the opening battles in and around the Ardennes and does not go into the Marne. It is told from both sides but mainly German as they were the winners here. There is a very detailed section on tactics and training and then chapters on the individual clashes themselves, including Rossignol (a particular favorite, involving the French 3rd Colonial Division), Neufchateau, Longwy, and 5 others. These opening battles took place August 21-24 and were noteworthy for the vindication of German tactical docturne over French docturne and the resulting slaughter of the French infantry. For example, at Rossignol, on Aug.22, the Colonial Corps engaged in a particulary fierce battle. Part of the Corps, the 3rd CD, lost some 10,500 men, KIA, WIA, POW. Estimates were that 6000 of the 10,500 total were KIA. The 3rd CD had about 15,000 to start with. Casualties amongst the rest of the Corps were also extremely heavy. Total French dead for Aug.22 were around 27,000 men, in all engagements. This book is not a POV history but is very technical and a great job of finally recording these actions for the English speaking world that has been largely unknown, in detail, prior to this. I highly recommend it for you WW1 scholars. -- Al
Brain malfunction. The Ardennes 1914 was written by Terence Zuber. Don't know how I left the author out.:eek: -- Al

I'm about 2/3 done with James Holland's "The Burning Blue", another very well written and authentic RAF novel. I am really enjoying it, even more than I enjoyed the excellent RAF novels by Frank Barnard. Thanks Rob and Simon for pointing towards this author, he is quite entertaining.:)

Glad you like his books. Light reading, but as you say, entertaining.
Not read this one yet. Will seek it out!

Just started this fairly new history of the First Minnesota Volunteer Infantry Regt. Very enjoyable reading so far. Many of the communities around Northfield it seems formed the companies that comprised the Unit as it headed East in 1861, so I'll admit a special interest in this case.

I hope we see the 1st MN Vols in TS form some day.

MD

Attachments

• firstMNsmall.jpg
    firstMNsmall.jpg
    70.7 KB · Views: 134

Glad you like his books mate,the Odin Mission is very enjoyable as is 'Darkest Hour' that I've just finished.I've just got his third 'Blood of honour' which is set on Crete as Tanner faces the FJ''s.But first I've got to finish 'Forgotten voices of Dunkirk'.

Rob

Glad you like his books mate,the Odin Mission is very enjoyable as is 'Darkest Hour' that I've just finished.I've just got his third 'Blood of honour' which is set on Crete as Tanner faces the FJ''s.But first I've got to finish 'Forgotten voices of Dunkirk'.

Rob

I just started "Darkest Hour" yesterday. As much as I enjoy Jack Tanner, Holland's RAF books are head and shoulders better than his Tanner series. "The Burning Blue" and "a pair of Silver Wings" are the best, most realistic, kick you right in the stomach, make you feel like you are in the head of the pilot WWII air war novels I have ever read. I happen to love Derek Robinson and Frank Bernard's novels, but these are worlds better.

The Jack Tanner stuff is just entertainment, more like comic books for adults, very enjoyable, but not even in the same neighborhood as Holland's RAF books. I think this may be because James Holland wrote some excellent non-fiction books on the Battle of Britain, the Seige of Malta, and other RAF related subjects, so he has an unbelievable understanding of the dark reality those incredibly brave young pilots faced. I plan on reading every word Holland has published. I just hope we get some more of these amazing RAF novels soon.

I just started "Darkest Hour" yesterday. As much as I enjoy Jack Tanner, Holland's RAF books are head and shoulders better than his Tanner series. "The Burning Blue" and "a pair of Silver Wings" are the best, most realistic, kick you right in the stomach, make you feel like you are in the head of the pilot WWII air war novels I have ever read. I happen to love Derek Robinson and Frank Bernard's novels, but these are worlds better.

The Jack Tanner stuff is just entertainment, more like comic books for adults, very enjoyable, but not even in the same neighborhood as Holland's RAF books. I think this may be because James Holland wrote some excellent non-fiction books on the Battle of Britain, the Seige of Malta, and other RAF related subjects, so he has an unbelievable understanding of the dark reality those incredibly brave young pilots faced. I plan on reading every word Holland has published. I just hope we get some more of these amazing RAF novels soon.

Well I'll have to read his RAF novels,they sound good.He is a great non fiction History writer and it was this side of his writing I discovered first.I have his 'Fortress Malta book', 'Together we stand' (North Africa) and his Battle of Britain book is on my bedside cabinet awaiting my attention.

Rob

Reading ..."the pacific"...alot more info in the book then the mini-series, I think the mini-series should have included the sub-plot of the pilot in captivity...Sammy

Anyone know of a good read on the German 352nd Inf. Div. at Omaha?

Paul Carell book on Invasion They're Coming tells the German side of the invasion and tells about the 352nd along with other German units on D-Day.

I don't know if it is available but was printed in five printings from 1964-1984. His other books on Hitler moves East are excellent also.

The book states " Rommel moved the 352nd motorized Division from the Saint-Lo area to the left of the 716th Division opposite the Omaha Beach landings. The extra 352nd Division on Omaha came has a surprise because they did not know they reenforced the 716th Division on the beach. French Intelligence noticed this early in the invasion and sent two carrier pigeons with the latest intelligence but they were shot down and this proved very costly to General Bradley. J

Thanks Leadmen! I just ordered a copy off Amazon. From the description you gave it appears to be exactly what I'm looking for. Thanks again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back