What are the Forum members reading (7 Viewers)

Re: Great Book on Marines & Korean War

Just got done reading "The Last Stand of Fox Company". It is about a Marine Company defending a hill during the winter of 1950 in Korea.
Have to say this book rates right up there with "We Were Soldiers" and "With the Old Breed", the last two are my all time favorite books.
Gary

Gary: I'll agree with you on 2-3 of them. Try Strong Men Armed by Robert Leckie, who is one of the men, featured in the up-coming Pacific mega series. I have never read a better book..............Stryker

For any Napoleonic fans...Just done reading Napoleon's Pyramids and its 1st sequel the Rosetta Key from William Dietrich (from my home State and a Pulitzer prize winner :)). Very well written and highly detailed on the Egyptian campaign and its stakeholders. Lots of colorful details on the Mameluke army and battles as well. Nice plot, love story (the hero is American!) and lots of suspense. Very entertaining in one word! I am starting on the 3rd volume: the Dakota Cypher. Will report when I am done with this one :)

For any Napoleonic fans...Just done reading Napoleon's Pyramids and its 1st sequel the Rosetta Key from William Dietrich (from my home State and a Pulitzer prize winner :)). Very well written and highly detailed on the Egyptian campaign and its stakeholders. Lots of colorful details on the Mameluke army and battles as well. Nice plot, love story (the hero is American!) and lots of suspense. Very entertaining in one word! I am starting on the 3rd volume: the Dakota Cypher. Will report when I am done with this one :)
Sounds interesting, thanks for the tip mate.:cool:

I received a Christmas book from one of my colleagues that I have just finished within a week and at over 660 pages that's a record for me. I was absolutely mesmerised from page one to the chronology of wars covered that are listed on the last page and I believe well worth recommending to some of you reader guys.

It's entitled "Those Who Marched Away" arranged as a diary around a calendar year edited by Alan Taylor. This anthology includes extracts from around 200 diarists dating from the 17th century to the 1990's. Inevitably, given their scale, there are more entries devoted to WW1 & WW11 but all of the US and British conflicts/wars are included from Waterloo/AWI/ACW/Zulu/Crimea/Korea etc and even a couple of entries from a Private who rode with Custer to the Little Big Horn.

The different perspectives from both sides of the particular conflict are fascinating from the entries of the faceless warriors who experienced the horrors of war up close and personal, to those charged with planning and executing these horrific battles to those in positions of high command who never fired a shot in earnest.

Tolstoy wrote a post-script to his epic novel War & Peace "Why did millions of people kill one another when it had been known since the world began that it is physically and morally bad to do so?". Although not the raison d'etre of this book it's a valiant attempt to describe how war infiltrates every aspect of life especially of "those who marched away".
Thoroughly recommended!

Reb

I am reading Robert Louis Stevenson's Treasure Island to my daughters who are loving it.
There is a good reason why some books remain in print for over 100 years.
Now where is Conte's Pirate Ship

I'm reading "Cromwell's Head" by Jonathan Firzgibbons..it's a book (greatly researched) about the wanderings, through three centuries, of the head of the Lord Protector of England...In 1661 when the King returned in England after the failure of the Protectorate Regime there was a posthumous trial (the three were dead)to the "regicides" Cromwell , Ireton and Bradshaw..the severed heads of the three were put on a pole (set high on Westminster Hall) and there remained as a warning,but on a stormy night of 1682 Cromwell's head and the pole on which was fixed were broken ... half of the book deals with the story of the head and remaining half with Cromwell, his character, his belief..etc.It's a part of British history i still know very little so is a break from my usual books about Crimea or WWI or II...

I have just bought "TONIGHT WE DIE AS MEN"

The untold story of the third battalion 506 parachute infantry regiment from toccoa to D-Day by Ian Gardner & Roger Day. It has alot of pictures of captured airborne and others that i have not seen anywhere else before.

I cant really say anymore as i have not started it yet haha.

I have just bought "TONIGHT WE DIE AS MEN"

The untold story of the third battalion 506 parachute infantry regiment from toccoa to D-Day by Ian Gardner & Roger Day. It has alot of pictures of captured airborne and others that i have not seen anywhere else before.

I cant really say anymore as i have not started it yet haha.

Very good book...:)

Just finished reading «The Waterloo Companion» by Mark Adkin, excellent, thorough, great illustrations, maps, research,highly recommended.

Paulo

Anyone got an opinion on which book about Robert Roger's I should read? "War on the Run" by Ross or "White Devil" by Brumwell? Or another? Thanks for the advice. -- lancer

Just started 'Churchill's Bunker' by the excellent Prof Richard Holmes.Its the story of the underground Cabinet War rooms from where Winston directed Britains War effort and the people that shared it with him.

Rob

Half way through 'Almost a Miracle' by John Ferling, a general history of the American Revolution, very good so far!

Half way through 'Almost a Miracle' by John Ferling, a general history of the American Revolution, very good so far!

Yes, a very well-rounded book. I can't think of another that is on the same level in my collection. Also, I am part way through Nosworthy's 'With Musket, Cannon, and Sword'. Excellent research all around.

Noah

Just finished reading «The Waterloo Companion» by Mark Adkin, excellent, thorough, great illustrations, maps, research,highly recommended.

Paulo

I'll second this one. It's a must have for any Waterloo enthusiast and the kind of reference book that you just keep coming back to.

I also recently picked up "Armies of the Napoleonic Wars" edited by Chris McNab. I was worried that it might be a regurgitation of the many books on this subject, but it isn't at all. While each section could surely be further developed (each chapter is devoted to a particular nation), there are some great little known tidbits and excellent diagrams and illustrations.

I should note that the subtitle of this book is: "An Illustrated History," and the illustrations are excellent. Many of the illustrations are recycled from the Osprey libraries, but also a few real gems I have never seen before and of particular interest to Napoleonic figure painters.

M'Lud, I can also recommend Ferling's "A Leap in the Dark", which covers the first 20 years of our Republic, an excellent history.

One interesting fact to learn is that politics in the US was even more virulent and "partisan", than anything we experience today. Those people who refer back to some time when American politics was some sort of gentlemanly game, are dreaming of a time that never really existed.

Prost!
Brad

I'm reading now "D-Day" by Ambrose....very good..before this i read of the d-day only from "The Longest Day" , "Tonight We Die as Men" and the (very good for a start) 4 Osprey Campaign ..now i'm waiting for "The Civil War Art of Keith Rocco" , "Solferino 1859 (Osprey)" and U-Boote Crews (by Histoire et Collections).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back