What are the Forum members reading (5 Viewers)

Today I have just finished Mein Kampf. I have to say, its the most dire book I think I have read and, although its one of those 'must reads' how anyone did not see what was coming is beyond me.

A true classic!!!!! I do not think so
Mitch

Probably because he was just one of a bunch of nuts writing their manifestoes. In addition, the powers in Germany thought they could control him once he became Chancellor.

Nuts, he may have become however, I do not think anyone can attack his powers of manipulation and the manner in which he managed to gain power allowing those mentioned to actually believe they were controlling him.

At that stage the 'Bohemian Corporal' was indeed a master politician/tactician
Mitch

Probably because he was just one of a bunch of nuts writing their manifestoes. In addition, the powers in Germany thought they could control him once he became Chancellor.

Maybe you didn't have the proper debauched, angst ridden youth experiences :D that otherwise qualified us all :eek::cool:

I had my share of debauchery and left the angst part to those guys dressed in racoon skin coats, which were pretty thin on the ground in sub tropical Australia :D

Nuts, he may have become however, I do not think anyone can attack his powers of manipulation and the manner in which he managed to gain power allowing those mentioned to actually believe they were controlling him.

At that stage the 'Bohemian Corporal' was indeed a master politician/tactician
Mitch

In 1925 when he wrote it in I believe Landsberg Prison he wasn't yet the politician he would become.

jazzeum...

I was commenting on the reply you posted and was referring to the time leading up to him taking control of Germany. Though, even in prison I would go as far to say that the writings were an indication of his ambitions.
Mitch

TE=jazzeum;308919]In 1925 when he wrote it in I believe Landsberg Prison he wasn't yet the politician he would become.[/QUOTE]

Last edited:
Just re-read "Horrido!" by Constable & Tolliver. Was inspired to do so by recieving my KC FW190. First read it in '69 (birthday gift from parents) and have always enjoyed it. Great history of the Luftwaffe aces that can be read as a whole history, or in pieces by chapter as many of the chapters stand well alone. Well recommended. -- Al

I'm reading two book's at the moment first is T-Forces witch is about British troops hunting down German secrets at the end of the war under the command of Ian Fleming & the other book is Saturday at M.1.9

lancer....

Thanks for reminding me of that book. I found a copy about two years ago in a local christian charity shop which, has a great second hand war collection bit in the basement. There all donated books to help raise funds and they only take real good condition books. I also got from there if you like these kind of things (though you may have read it 'I flew for the fuhrer' the memoirs of Heinz Knocke. Its a very good book
Mitch

;314710]Just re-read "Horrido!" by Constable & Tolliver. Was inspired to do so by recieving my KC FW190. First read it in '69 (birthday gift from parents) and have always enjoyed it. Great history of the Luftwaffe aces that can be read as a whole history, or in pieces by chapter as many of the chapters stand well alone. Well recommended. -- Al[/QUOTE]

lancer....

Thanks for reminding me of that book. I found a copy about two years ago in a local christian charity shop which, has a great second hand war collection bit in the basement. There all donated books to help raise funds and they only take real good condition books. I also got from there if you like these kind of things (though you may have read it 'I flew for the fuhrer' the memoirs of Heinz Knocke. Its a very good book
Mitch

;314710]Just re-read "Horrido!" by Constable & Tolliver. Was inspired to do so by recieving my KC FW190. First read it in '69 (birthday gift from parents) and have always enjoyed it. Great history of the Luftwaffe aces that can be read as a whole history, or in pieces by chapter as many of the chapters stand well alone. Well recommended. -- Al
[/QUOTE]Hi Mitch. Good call on the Knocke book. I have read it and enjoyed it. Keep a look out for "Blond Knight of Germany" by the same authors of Horrido. If you have not already read it, it is a good biography of Erich Hartmann. -- Al

Hi Mitch. Good call on the Knocke book. I have read it and enjoyed it. Keep a look out for "Blond Knight of Germany" by the same authors of Horrido. If you have not already read it, it is a good biography of Erich Hartmann. -- Al[/QUOTE]

Both books are a great read ;)

uksubs...

Cheers for the info. I have not done to much reading on Luftwaffe pilots only really got into it recently but, trying to make up for it now
Mitch

;314728]Hi Mitch. Good call on the Knocke book. I have read it and enjoyed it. Keep a look out for "Blond Knight of Germany" by the same authors of Horrido. If you have not already read it, it is a good biography of Erich Hartmann. -- Al[/QUOTE]

Both books are a great read ;)[/QUOTE]

Just received "Napoleon's Army 1790-1815" by Rousselot. Magnificent work showing all of Rousselot's artwork for his famous series of plates. Every page in full colour showing the uniforms and equipment in great detail including back views, something not often seen. Not a cheap book, (£85 in the UK) but set against what a complete collection of the original plates would cost ( something like £1000plus) it is a must have for any Napoleonic collector or modeller. Highly recommended.

Among a number of books I got this week is this one which, is a great read

Spitfire on my tail: A view from the other side. Ulrich Steinhilper.

IMO a very grounded portrayal of a Luftwaffe pilot
Mitch

I got this week -A Life in Peace & War by Brian Urquhart who was the intelligence officer at Market Garden ;)

uksubs....

This book was also one of those I bought this week and, everything I have heard about it makes it a must read. My only problem is which to start with
Mitch

uksubs....

This book was also one of those I bought this week and, everything I have heard about it makes it a must read. My only problem is which to start with
Mitch

Well I've just started reading it & it a great read Mitch ;)

uksubs...
Don't tell me about it before I have read it
Mitch

Users who are viewing this thread

Back