What are the Forum members reading (3 Viewers)

Just finished a couple of re-reads, Jonah Goldberg's "Liberal Fascism", and this morning, Aldous Huxley's "Brave New World" (I was surprised what a fast read it was, compared to memory of the last time I read it, which might be school or college).

Prost!
Brad

I just finished "The Ides of March " by Valerio Massimo Manfredi, a historical fiction on the last week of Julius Cesar.We all know how the story ends but it's amazing how the author holds the attention of the reader to the last page.I'm finishing also "The Indian Mutiny " by Julian Spilsbury.Very good read.

Made a Barnes & Noble run last night for some new books. Now I'm reading Mark Levin's "Liberty and Tyranny", and "Monmouth Court House-The Battle that Made the American Army", by Joseph Bilby and Katherine Bilby Jenkins. So far, it's a good read, the scholarship is good, and there's no modern political judgment seeping in, as there was with that horrible, awful, "Patriot Battles". I've peeked through the rest of the book, and I can recommend it to any serious fan or student of the War for Independence.

Prost!
Brad

With the release by JJD of WW1 aircraft I thought I would re-read some of my WW1 aviation stuff. A real good one is "High in the Empty Blue: The History of 56 Squadron RFC, 1916-19", written by Alex Revell in 1995. This book is rather uncommon and expensive, but can be found. It is well worth the effort and money. It is a superbly written and illustrated history of the RFC's most famous squadron. There are many photos of the personel and aircraft, including a brief color section of aircraft (mostly SE-5's, as are most of the aircraft photos). Revell also address' the latest info regarding the death's of Ball and McCudden. The book is oversize and 448 pages. This is a must have for any WW1 aviation fan. -- Al

Made a Barnes & Noble run last night for some new books. Now I'm reading Mark Levin's "Liberty and Tyranny", and "Monmouth Court House-The Battle that Made the American Army", by Joseph Bilby and Katherine Bilby Jenkins. So far, it's a good read, the scholarship is good, and there's no modern political judgment seeping in, as there was with that horrible, awful, "Patriot Battles". I've peeked through the rest of the book, and I can recommend it to any serious fan or student of the War for Independence.

Prost!
Brad

Brad,
Let me know on this one...been listening for a while and love him.
Mike

With the release by JJD of WW1 aircraft I thought I would re-read some of my WW1 aviation stuff. A real good one is "High in the Empty Blue: The History of 56 Squadron RFC, 1916-19", written by Alex Revell in 1995. This book is rather uncommon and expensive, but can be found. It is well worth the effort and money. It is a superbly written and illustrated history of the RFC's most famous squadron. There are many photos of the personel and aircraft, including a brief color section of aircraft (mostly SE-5's, as are most of the aircraft photos). Revell also address' the latest info regarding the death's of Ball and McCudden. The book is oversize and 448 pages. This is a must have for any WW1 aviation fan. -- Al
Another recommendation for WW1 aviation enthusiasts. "The Storks" by Norman Franks and Frank Bailey. This is in the Grub Street publishers series and is an outstanding history of Combat Group 12. The narrative is well written and useful, with all the well known flyers covered, Guynemer, Fonck, Heurtaux, Dorme, Deullin, Brocard, Bozan-Verduraz, and all the others. Where the research is most valuable, IMO, is in the heavy use of records such as the whole combat log, 1916-1918, of The Storks. Personel listings for the different squadrons and listings for any pilot who claimed an air to air victory while with the group are present, too. There are some photo illustrations along with a few black and white drawings showing the units markings. All in all this is a terrific work and another must have for WW1 air war types, especially those interested in the French side. -- Al

In the JJD vein, with the release of the Spanish civil war line I went back and read Ernest Hemingways "For Whom the Bell Tolls". Hard to pick anything good on either side I like: Communist vs. Facist.:cool:

"Our Friends Beneath The Sands" by Martin Windrow.
"Napoleon's Grand Armee of 1813" by Scott Bowden.

Russ

I just finished "The Last Stand" by Nathaniel Philbrick about Custer, the politics, the events leading to the final battle and the aftermath. Great book with focus on Sitting Bull also. I want to read "The Killing of Crazy Horse" by Thomas Powers from the Indian point of view about the battle.

Just got this on saterday very interesting:

The military intervention corps of the spanish blue division in the german wehrmacht 41-45
Mitch

Osprey, anything related to Waterloo
The Armies at Waterloo by Ugo Pericoli
is the best reference book for Waterloo collectors
lots of color plates on uniforms very recommendable

I started re-reading Robert Heinlein's "Startship Troopers" last night, don't know why.

Another novel whose film version falls a little short of the book. It was "Space: 90210", though some of the performances were good, with the excellent character actors Michael Ironside and Clancy Brown, and Denise Richards when she was still young and cute.

The book is much, much better, though.

Prost!
Brad

I am reading "Zulu Rising" by Ian Knight. I just rec'd my copy from W Britain.

I'm starting to re-read THE ZULU WAR VCs by James W Bamcroft;)

Cheers

Martyn:)

I started re-reading Robert Heinlein's "Startship Troopers" last night, don't know why.

Another novel whose film version falls a little short of the book. It was "Space: 90210", though some of the performances were good, with the excellent character actors Michael Ironside and Clancy Brown, and Denise Richards when she was still young and cute.

The book is much, much better, though.

Prost!
Brad
Hi Brad. Ever read "The Forever War" by Joe Haldeman? It is a good one about off-world war and the time-distance question that the soldiers deal with. -- Al

Hi Brad. Ever read "The Forever War" by Joe Haldeman? It is a good one about off-world war and the time-distance question that the soldiers deal with. -- Al

Thanks for the recommendation, Al, I've never heard of it before, but I'm going to add it to my reading list and track it down.

Prost!
Brad

Brad,
Let me know on this one...been listening for a while and love him.
Mike

Hi, Mike, I recommend it highly. If you're a fan of the show, you'll be familiar with the theme and the arguments that support it, but it's definitely worth it. The clarity of the arguments and his scholarship behind them make it an important outline of political philosophy.

What drew me to his show, and made me a regular listener (except when our local station pre-empts him for Penn State women's volleyball) is that, these are things that I observed from my own reading of history. Same goes for Goldberg's book, by the way. It's that there is an argument going on, in the forensic sense, and, though, yes, he raises his voice, it's not like Savage's show, where Savage is more of a fuzzy thinker and egotist, whose show is approaching George Noury's for devotion to conspiracy theories.

Prost!
Brad

Illustrated B24 combat operations,,very fresh photos and a fine layout,,found at half price books ,a wonderful local chain.

My latest batch of books included the recent Osprey releases "T34/85 vs M26 Pershing" in the duel series, and "Los Banos Raid" in the raid series. Both are really good. Interesting material, well presented and both cover subjects that are not well known. I recommend both highly!

Gary B.

Hi
"THE FORT" by Bernard Cornwell.Almost done hard to put down.Base o the third year of the War of Idependence.
Cheers
Dave

Users who are viewing this thread

Back