What are the Forum members reading (7 Viewers)

The Last Stand by Nathaniel Philbrick. Not just another book about Custer but an extremely fluent and readable account of the effect of the campaign on both the US military and the Indians. Copious explanation of the sources for his findings are extremely useful in promoting further reading and research. Highly recommended.

Re-reading "The Complete T-Rex" by Jack Horner and Don Lessem. It describes the discovery, excavation and display of the "Wankel" Rex, and the new conclusions Horner drew from the find. It's a little dated now, since it came out in '92 or '93-there is a photo of the animatronic Rex from "Jurassic Park" under construction, too-but still enjoyable.

Don't know what made me take it down off the shelf--maybe I'll build that Tamiya T-Rex that I have in my stash...

Prost!
Brad

I just started reading "In harms way'' U.S.S.Indianapolis....cannot believe some of the mistakes that were lead up to the sinking of this ship after dropping off the atom bomb parts at Tianian island!! can't wait to finish it, a really good book, sorry to read about the captain commiting suicide in later years after having gone through some much stuff in life, really a shame he couldn't shake the past that haunted him for so long...Sammy

An interesting book. I am about finished FW 190 in North Africa by Andrew Arthy and Morten Jessen. A very good read if this is your area of interest.
Mitch

I happened to pick up Osprey's "Frederick the Great's Allies" on Saturday, from the Men at Arms series, I've wanted to have a look at it, since it was released in September. It covers the armies of Hannover, Brunswick, and Hessen-Cassel. The text is organized by arm of service, and then under each rubric: Infantry, cavalry, light forces (including light infantry and light cavalry), and technical arms, each state's forces are described.

It's not a bad reference, though most of the information is already available in other sources. For example, many of the illustrations are by Knötel; I have them in my collection of German cigarette cards. Also, there is no information in the text about the flags of any of the states, though there is some info in some of the illustrations' captions.

The only other comparable reference, that collects this same info into one volume, is the one put out by Partizan Press, and this Osprey volume is much better. The Partizan book includes some info that is now known to be wrong, such as descriptions of the Brunswick colors. There are a couple of minor errors in the Osprey book, though, too. One is a style choice--the author refers to the Imperial armies as "Imperialist" armies. As far as I know, "imperialist" has a very specific meaning in English, and the better word should be "Imperial". "Kaiserlich" or "Reichs-" are best translated as "imperial". Also, they get the name of the Chef of the Death's Head Hussars wrong, it's "Ruesch", not "Reusch". A minor error, but in my other Osprey books, they got it right.

Still, I'm glad to have it, and it's given me ideas for some of the castings currently on my bench and in the queue. I recommend it, for any fans of the Seven Years' War. I'd also pass on the Partizan book, if I were you.

Prost!
Brad

And now I'm currently reading David Drake's "Hammer's Slammers, Volume 1", which my buddy Scott lent me over the weekend.

Prost!
Brad

50 years of jaguar,,fortunatly it leaves out the past ten,,the thought of an E Type TATA leaves me worse then cold.

Reading about the German Mistel Sq & just finished reading about Fw 190 Sturmstaffel 1 witch was the sq set up to ram US bombers witch was a great read

I just received a copy of Colonel Roosevelt. I read the first book in the trilogy about his early career, and thought it was excellent. I am looking forward to reading this one, and probably going back and getting the middle volume.

I just received a copy of Colonel Roosevelt. I read the first book in the trilogy about his early career, and thought it was excellent. I am looking forward to reading this one, and probably going back and getting the middle volume.

I saw an interview with Edmund Wilson recently, promoting the book you've just cited. Haven't read it but I have started the middle volume, "Theodore Rex." Reads very well. Also, for TR fans, I'd recommend "The River of Doubt," by Candice Millard. On a completely different topic, I'd recommend "That Sweet Enemy," by Robert & Isabelle Tombs. The subtitle says it all: "Britain and France: The History of a Love-Hate Relationship."

Old Teddy sure packed in quite a life in only 60 years. The last volume of Morris' trilogy is a bit sad with the old warhorse fading from glory but never quite able to give it up. I just started on "Washington" by Ron Chernow. It's a good, but maybe not a great read on the life of George Washington.

Sturmtiger and sturmpanzers in combat Trojca and Tiger 1 and sturmtigers in detail Ryton publications are two of the christmas books I got that I have been able to flick through and think they look excellent
Mitch

I am starting "Seven Pillars of Wisdom", which I partially read 30 years ago and never finished. I look forward to reading it with older eyes and a more mature, (depending on who you ask), mind. Can't pass on this classic. -- Al

The Fiery Trial: Abraham Lincoln and American Slavery by Eric Foner, one of the best books I've read on the topic (and not hagiographic either). This book is a natural setup for his earlier books on Reconstruction.

I am starting "Seven Pillars of Wisdom", which I partially read 30 years ago and never finished. I look forward to reading it with older eyes and a more mature, (depending on who you ask), mind. Can't pass on this classic. -- Al

What a coincidence, Al, I read that, too, around the same time. I inherited a copy from my high school English teacher.

I'm trying to understand Lawrence now, in light of Arab/Islamist events since then. Watching "Lawrence of Arabia", too, makes me think that there was a lot of Arab history that was unknown or ignored, from Lawrence's time right up to ours. He never mentions the puritanical Wahabi sect, for example, or the Ikhwan religious militia affiliated with the House of Saud. In fact, I don't recall that Lawrence had much contact or wrote about the Saudis, who would eventually defeat the Hashemites whom he assisted. They really came out of history's left field.

Prost!
Brad

What a coincidence, Al, I read that, too, around the same time. I inherited a copy from my high school English teacher.

I'm trying to understand Lawrence now, in light of Arab/Islamist events since then. Watching "Lawrence of Arabia", too, makes me think that there was a lot of Arab history that was unknown or ignored, from Lawrence's time right up to ours. He never mentions the puritanical Wahabi sect, for example, or the Ikhwan religious militia affiliated with the House of Saud. In fact, I don't recall that Lawrence had much contact or wrote about the Saudis, who would eventually defeat the Hashemites whom he assisted. They really came out of history's left field.

Prost!
Brad
The Arab history is one of the reasons I want to reread and finish it. Couldn't wrap my head around it back then and having read quite abit about that theater of war since then, I want to try to get it straight. It begs for a focused reading. -- Al

I am reading 2 books right now.One called Boone ,about of course Daniel Boone and the other is A Few Acres of Snow about the French-Indians Wars 1687-1760.
Mark

Users who are viewing this thread

Back