What are the Forum members reading (4 Viewers)

Washington-A_Life.jpg

I'm reading "Washington: A Life" by Ron Chernow..

James Flexner's series on Washington is excellent, too. It was the main source used for the screenplay of the miniseries that aired back in the late 70s or early 80s, with Barry Bostwick as the General.

Prost!
Brad

With all the great Washington bios available, I'm just curious, has anyone ever read D.S. Freeman's 8 volume history on Washington, and what did you think of it? I have never read it, nor do I know anyone who has. -- Al

Thx, Brad, I'll keep that in mind.. I've done a lot or reading on the American Revolution and personalities in the last year and a half or so.. I just finished Joseph Plumb Martin's book about his experiences in the Rev. War - fascinating to get the perspective of a foot soldier in the Continental Army.. Lots about starving and freezing!

After the Washington book I have "John Stark Maverick General" ready to go.

Jim

James Flexner's series on Washington is excellent, too. It was the main source used for the screenplay of the miniseries that aired back in the late 70s or early 80s, with Barry Bostwick as the General.

Prost!
Brad

It might as well be. I can be sure that this book is not for sale in the Alamo gift shop, maybe not in the state of Texas. He believes that up to 120 of the defenders fled the fort and were caught and killed outside by the Mexican cavalry. Also, the author believes there was no real fight at the walls as the garrison was caught asleep by the pre-dawn assault. Brief fighting in the interior with most of the killing done outside. Battle lasted 20 minutes with the Mexicans suffering less than 300 total casualties (around 6o dead) and most of these were friendly fire. It is not your daddy's history.:rolleyes: -- Al
I too have started to read that book. It reads to me like the man has an agenda and that being that he is the only that has discovered the true story of the battle and every other source except the ones he uses of course are twisted and manipulated to make the battle more heroic for the defenders. I will finish it anyway, eventually. I doubt that I will find it more credible then the other sources who have written about the Alamo.

I too have started to read that book. It reads to me like the man has an agenda and that being that he is the only that has discovered the true story of the battle and every other source except the ones he uses of course are twisted and manipulated to make the battle more heroic for the defenders. I will finish it anyway, eventually. I doubt that I will find it more credible then the other sources who have written about the Alamo.
The author certainly has his viewpoint and isn't very subtle about dismantling the various aspects of the battle. As I have read this book, I found that the author has made a good argument and done his homework, but as you pointed out, he seems to believe that his view is the only correct one, totally throwing 175 years of written history to the winds. EVERY other history to this point (while conceding Huffines had some of the story correct in his book "Blood of Noble Men") has major errors in virtually every aspect of the battle. Still, it is an interesting read, if just for his viewpoints, but it did raise my blood pressure some. -- Al

In the middle of reading The Gunners at Arnhem , Very good read

The author certainly has his viewpoint and isn't very subtle about dismantling the various aspects of the battle. As I have read this book, I found that the author has made a good argument and done his homework, but as you pointed out, he seems to believe that his view is the only correct one, totally throwing 175 years of written history to the winds. EVERY other history to this point (while conceding Huffines had some of the story correct in his book "Blood of Noble Men") has major errors in virtually every aspect of the battle. Still, it is an interesting read, if just for his viewpoints, but it did raise my blood pressure some. -- Al
I'm sure some guys tried to run away, but he was virtually the entire garrsion heading for the hills. I believe there is some little bit of truth in every version of the events, the trick is finding what is true and what is exaggerated or false. I probably will never accomplish this, nor probally will anyone else.

I'm sure some guys tried to run away, but he was virtually the entire garrsion heading for the hills. I believe there is some little bit of truth in every version of the events, the trick is finding what is true and what is exaggerated or false. I probably will never accomplish this, nor probally will anyone else.
I agree. So many years after the event, with only the victors surviving and having left, in some cases, widely differing versions of the event, finding the truth is, at best, a matter of meeting in the middle. There is always the possibility of new accounts being discovered in the future, but they will also have to be fitted into what is known currently. History is a minefield of the unknown, especially where the Alamo seems to be concerned. -- Al

I agree. So many years after the event, with only the victors surviving and having left, in some cases, widely differing versions of the event, finding the truth is, at best, a matter of meeting in the middle. There is always the possibility of new accounts being discovered in the future, but they will also have to be fitted into what is known currently. History is a minefield of the unknown, especially where the Alamo seems to be concerned. -- Al
I guess that is one of the reasons the Alamo and Custer are so popular, everyone can theorize and speculate and no one can prove them wrong. Plus you can always throw in the what "ifs", and this makes the subjects all the more fascinating.

I can never seem to read one book at a time, but rather "juggle" several at a time and just switch between them (it's quite dependent on their proximity to me which one I read when:p). Right now I am finishing up Cornelius Ryan's "A Bridge Too Far", and in the middle of "The Year of Alamein 1942: The Crucible of War" by Barrie Pitt, and "Hell's Highway: The Chronicle of the 101st Airborne in the Holland Campaign, September-November 1944" by George E. Koskimaki.

With all the great Washington bios available, I'm just curious, has anyone ever read D.S. Freeman's 8 volume history on Washington, and what did you think of it? I have never read it, nor do I know anyone who has. -- Al

I read first seven vol (thru rev war) many yrs ago. Great detail and same as RE Lee by Freeman, if you've read that series. Freeman died before writing final volume and it was written by his associates.

Guys,
With the 70th Anniversary of the siege of Tobruk coming up on 11th April, I have dragged out to re-read the following:
"Tobruk" by Peter Fitzsimmons, "Tobruk 1941" by Peter Cochrane, "Morshead" by David Coombes and "That Magnificent Ninth" by Mark Johnston.
This is year of the Western Desert 1941.:)
Cheers Howard

I read first seven vol (thru rev war) many yrs ago. Great detail and same as RE Lee by Freeman, if you've read that series. Freeman died before writing final volume and it was written by his associates.
Good job. I read the Lee bio in college and liked it. If the Washington bio was as good, it has to be one of the best done. Congrats on reading that massive work. -- Al

My father has this series and I have always been a bit intimidated by it! Having looked at it a time or two, it is not for the faint of heart by any means. While I greatly enjoy reading, I wish I had your dedication to tackle this great work.

On a related note, I am halfway through John Ferling's "The Ascent of George Washington." It is focused more on Washington's political dealings, before, during and especially after the Revolution. It is not a general biography, but enjoyable nontheless.

Noah

Talk of DS Freeman promted me to look up his biography. Son of a Confederate, Phd at age 22, only copy of his dissertation lost in a fire. Won two Pulitzers, for bios of Lee and Washington. Newspaper editor at age 29.

So, who has read Lee's Lieutenants? Thoroughly enjoyed this 3 vol set, again many yrs ago but think it holds up well as an authoritative source for ACW. It moved quickly for me and it's on my "list to re-read" someday.

Talk of DS Freeman promted me to look up his biography. Son of a Confederate, Phd at age 22, only copy of his dissertation lost in a fire. Won two Pulitzers, for bios of Lee and Washington. Newspaper editor at age 29.

So, who has read Lee's Lieutenants? Thoroughly enjoyed this 3 vol set, again many yrs ago but think it holds up well as an authoritative source for ACW. It moved quickly for me and it's on my "list to re-read" someday.
Have read it, back in 1974, as my wife (then girlfriend), gave the set to me as a gift Christmas 1973. Was a great read and I also need to re-read it at this point. Still have the set in as issued condition and it has pride of place in my collection of military history books. Used to have the R.E. Lee set but it is gone as it didn't have the emotional attachment as LL's. -- Al

Only turned up this morning and haven't started reading this yet but having a good flick through - seems just what the doctor ordered.

Jeff

Read GO STRONG INTO THE DESERT from cover to cover, has become my bible for all things Sudan. Lots of pictures every page and well written, 215 pages. Cheers, Robin.

Read GO STRONG INTO THE DESERT from cover to cover, has become my bible for all things Sudan. Lots of pictures every page and well written, 215 pages. Cheers, Robin.

I'm glad the Perrys produced this, it's about time all the information was pulled together in one book. A lot of the uniforms have been covered in military modelling magazine, and the like, over the years but not easily accesible without a good reference colection, until now!:)

Martin

Only turned up this morning and haven't started reading this yet but having a good flick through - seems just what the doctor ordered.

Jeff

I'm glad the Perrys produced this, it's about time all the information was pulled together in one book. A lot of the uniforms have been covered in military modelling magazine, and the like, over the years but not easily accesible without a good reference collection, until now!:)

Martin

I'm going to have to stop flicking through and start from the beginning and read it properly. The best £25 I've spent in a while.

Jeff

Attachments

• GSitD.jpg
    GSitD.jpg
    35.9 KB · Views: 69

Users who are viewing this thread

Back