What are the Forum members reading (3 Viewers)

Just finished

Guderian: Panzer pioneer or myth maker? R. Hart.

An interesting book but, again, great claims from the author that he has discovered something startling but, I don't think its the case. Worth a read if your interested in panzer warfare and the man believed to have created its modern use
Mitch

Just finished

An interesting book but, again, great claims from the author that he has discovered something startling but, I don't think its the case. Worth a read if your interested in panzer warfare and the man believed to have created its modern use
Mitch

I'm I right in say the British invented blitzkrieg:confused:

I beleive other countries certainly dabbled with armour during and especially, after WWI but, the germans and Guderain with Achtung panzer were the pioneers of its on mass use.

Its still arguable who really created tank warfare but, it IMO weighs heavily with the germans in the modern sense of the word Blitzkrieg
Mitch

I beleive other countries certainly dabbled with armour during and especially, after WWI but, the germans and Guderain with Achtung panzer were the pioneers of its on mass use.
I think your right when you say the German were the first to put it into practice

I think we had the opportunity to do it so, did the French but, Fuller and Hart were the theorists behind massed attacks but, as usual were stiffled with old thinking which, allowed Guderian to take the credit with his writings which, are impressive to read.
Mitch

If you enjoyed that, KV, you might also like "The Light's on at Signpost" his experiences after the war writing books and screenplays. It is surprising just how many famous films he was involved in including some of the Bond epics. His occasional digressions into the state of the modern world are also entertaining. I do recommend it to you. Trooper

Thanks Trooper.

I am a big fan of compton MacKenzie as well!

I wonder what these authors would come up with as to the Battle of San Jacinto?
I suppose if the author from the "Exodus from the Alamo" had written it either the Mexicans would have won or the cowardly Anglo-Celts murdered the sick and infirm Mexicans in their sleep at a field hospital.

Just finished

Mitch

hi Mitch,

I will have to put this one on the list. I will say that the discussion of who developed Tank Warfare needs to include JFC Fuller as well as Stern and Elles and a long list of others. But Fuller put together the basic work on the theory of massed tank attacks supported by Air, Infantry and Artillery for the attack on Cambrai in WWI. This was the basis for all the Germans put into operation for the opening stages of WWII. They took a beating at Cambrai but certainly took note of what was done and how it was accomplished and took the theory to the next stage in Poland and France. If you are interested in this topic I can suggest several books. PM me.

Dave

I suppose if the author from the "Exodus from the Alamo" had written it either the Mexicans would have won or the cowardly Anglo-Celts murdered the sick and infirm Mexicans in their sleep at a field hospital.

Sounds like a good film script for Mel Gibson. Trooper

Reading "The Battle That Stopped Rome" by Peter Wells. Decent book that takes a in depth look at "Teutoberg Forest". Starts slow but gets better the further you get along.

Just picked up a new magazine today at Barnes and Noble. Published by Ian Allan publishing. "Against All Odds", issue 1. (Could not find it at the publishers website, which I thought rather strange).

Anywy it describes itself as
"An exciting new and original magazine concept. Walking the Battlefileds of the World." Heroic battles in the face of adversity. Unique battlefield detective, eye witness reports, 3D mapping, battlefield tours.

This issue is 94 pages.

Pages 6 thru 31 cover The Little Big Horn. Lots of photos and maps.

Pages 34 thru 65 covers Rorke's Drift. At first I thought the 3D images were
photos of a miniature wargame, very well done.

Pages 66 - 94 - Operation Market Garden: Arnhem. Looks very well covered also.

In all 3 of my most favorite historical battles. Really looking forward to reading these battlefield perspectives.

Just picked up a new magazine today at Barnes and Noble. Published by Ian Allan publishing. "Against All Odds", issue 1. (Could not find it at the publishers website, which I thought rather strange).

Anywy it describes itself as
"An exciting new and original magazine concept. Walking the Battlefileds of the World." Heroic battles in the face of adversity. Unique battlefield detective, eye witness reports, 3D mapping, battlefield tours.

This issue is 94 pages.

Pages 6 thru 31 cover The Little Big Horn. Lots of photos and maps.

Pages 34 thru 65 covers Rorke's Drift. At first I thought the 3D images were
photos of a miniature wargame, very well done.

Pages 66 - 94 - Operation Market Garden: Arnhem. Looks very well covered also.

In all 3 of my most favorite historical battles. Really looking forward to reading these battlefield perspectives.

Cool, I'll have to look for that next time I go to B&Ns.

Last edited by a moderator:
Anyone interested in the italian campaign I have just read the following:

A hard way to make a war: The italian campaign in WWII By Ian Gooderson. Its a decent size book 352 pages and covers the campaingn in good detail, well worth a read
Mitch

Reading now the second volume of David Drake's "Hammer's Slammers" novels, thanks to my buddy Scott for the loaner copy!

Now, there's an area not covered too extensively, in the toy soldier world--Science fiction. Mignot had a "War of the Worlds" diorama box, and there was Dan Dare, and Rappaport Bros. produced a series of homecasting molds of Buck Rogers. But not too much else.

Prost!
Brad

Historical Records of the Governor General's Bodyguard by Lt. V.C.P. Hodson. Excellent regimental history just republished by the Naval and Military press. A mass of detail with numerous appendices, several coloured illustrations and many photographic plates of individuals. Exact dates given for changes and additions to uniforms, everything a regimental history should be. And considering the prices that original Indian Army histories now sell at very cheap at £18 plus postage. A "must have" for any Indian Army enthusiast. Trooper

Historical Records of the Governor General's Bodyguard by Lt. V.C.P. Hodson. Excellent regimental history just republished by the Naval and Military press. A mass of detail with numerous appendices, several coloured illustrations and many photographic plates of individuals. Exact dates given for changes and additions to uniforms, everything a regimental history should be. And considering the prices that original Indian Army histories now sell at very cheap at £18 plus postage. A "must have" for any Indian Army enthusiast. Trooper

I'll be ordering that this afternoon!

Martin

Based on hearing about it here first,I'm reading "Exodus from the Alamo", which is very interesting. Generally I like it, but it did need a bit of editing. He does repeat a lot of the points.

Just finished 'Panzerwrecks' 11, number 12 out in April. 97 pages of real life photo's 1944/45 of over run German vehicles, mostly tanks. Great inspiration for diorama scenes using 'Collectors Showcase' WW11 vehicles in the damaged option, to recreate the scenes. Highly recommend these books around $30 each. Cheers, Robin.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back