What are the Forum members reading (2 Viewers)

uksubs...

An excellent read
Mitch

Your right Mitch,I thought what he said about market Garden very refreshing & it funny that even after the war many army's still had a big airborne :rolleyes:

The Complete Sherlock Holmes. Next up, perhaps some Alexandre Dumas or G.K. Chesterton.

Just recieved an advance copy of a book out in sept/oct from a publisher friend and, although only started yesterday its brilliant

If you are interested in Kursk its a must IMO
Valeriy Zamulin
Demolishing the myth: The tank battle ay Prokhorovka 1943: An operational narrative. Going to be about £40

Based on the russian side of things its very interesting. Originally published in 2005 but, in russian I have waited too long for its english release
Mitch

Just recieved an advance copy of a book out in sept/oct from a publisher friend and, although only started yesterday its brilliant

If you are interested in Kursk its a must IMO
Valeriy Zamulin
Demolishing the myth: The tank battle ay Prokhorovka 1943: An operational narrative. Going to be about £40

Based on the russian side of things its very interesting. Originally published in 2005 but, in russian I have waited too long for its english release
Mitch
This should be an important work. It remains to be seen what myth the title refers to. I will be waiting to see if the work is just another Glorius Mother Russia Victory March or if there is a real attempt to record the events and losses in true measure. The title makes me suspect that it will be an attempt to counter the German views that have become available over the last several years. I just hope it isn't a hack propaganda job. -- Al

Very much seen from the russian side but, I have only scanned it so have not really gleaned much information yet. I remember it recieved quite decent reviews when it was first published
Mitch

I just started reading last night "The Big E: The Story of the USS Enterprise" by Cdr. Edward Stafford. It was an eBay find, and came in yesterday's mail.

Prost!
Brad

I have not read anything on this ship but, have watched the History channels documentaries named the same and, they were fascinating so, it sounds like it will be a great read
Mitch

I just started reading last night "The Big E: The Story of the USS Enterprise" by Cdr. Edward Stafford. It was an eBay find, and came in yesterday's mail.

Prost!
Brad
You should enjoy it. Brad. It is THE book on the subject. -- Al

Very good, written much like Walter Lord's books, as it's based on the eyewitnesses' stories. I just finished the raids early in winter and spring 1942, and Midway.

This is also part of my preparation to build the Tamiya Enterprise in 1/700. I have a lot of technical references, but I like to read about the crew and their story, and think about how they served, as I work on the model.

Prost!
Brad

Last edited:
theBaron...

I have the Trumpeter USS Yorktown and HMS Hood sitting under the bed awaiting build. I always liked the look of the Yorktown from a kid and wanted to build it. Now its finding time as they are beasts in size and once started I never want to stop.
Mitch

Very good, written much like Walter Lord's books, as it's based on the eyewitnesses' stories. I just finished the raids early in winter and spring 1942, and Midway.

This is also part of my preparation to build the Tamiya Enterprise in 1/700. I have a lot of technical references, but I like to read about the crew and their story, and think about how they served, as I work on the model.

Prost!
Brad

theBaron...

I have the Trumpeter USS Yorktown and HMS Hood sitting under the bed awaiting build. I always liked the look of the Yorktown from a kid and wanted to build it. Now its finding time as they are beasts in size and once started I never want to stop.
Mitch

That's why 1/700 is my preferred shipbuilding scale ;D

I'm eyeing up a second Tamiya kit on eBay for the Yorktown. I need only the Langley and the Wasp (CV-7), and I'll have the first 9.

I built the Revell kits, when I was a kid, and I have one of those in my stash, too, but that's a long-term project.

Prost!
Brad

I did look at the 1/700 waterline series but, have never done one your fleet sounds to be coming along nicely.
Mitch

That's why 1/700 is my preferred shipbuilding scale ;D

I'm eyeing up a second Tamiya kit on eBay for the Yorktown. I need only the Langley and the Wasp (CV-7), and I'll have the first 9.

I built the Revell kits, when I was a kid, and I have one of those in my stash, too, but that's a long-term project.

Prost!
Brad

As to the book, by this morning, I've gotten as far as the first combat in the Guadalcanal campaign. Like I said before, Cdr. Stafford tells the stories from the men who served, so we get an eyewitness view of the action, and he pulls no punches, when it comes to describing combat action aboard a carrier.

If there's any downside to the book, it's that it's dated regarding some of its broader historical details, but that is a function of the year in which it was written (1962). For example, he described the Japanese decks at Midway as full of aircraft, ready for launch against our ships. I think "Shattered Sword" has sufficiently demonstrated that that couldn't have been the case, based on info we have that wasn't available to Western historians. Also, he notes that it was Army cryptoanalysts who broke the IJN code and revealed the Japanese plan to attack Midway, which is a more glaring error, considering that Stafford was a serving Naval officer, and the Navy's cryptanalysts really did the work. And though he notes that it was Scouting 6 that hit the Akagi, he doesn't note at all that it was Dick Best and his 3-plane section that carried out that attack.

However, none of this takes away from the story. I think it's of a class with "Day of Infamy", "Midway-Incredible Victory", or the more recent "A Dawn Like Thunder" or "Doomed at the Start". Or "Band of Brothers". It's the stories of the men themselves that really grip you, I think.

Prost!
Brad

Guys...

For those with an interest in this area just got these two and scanning quickly through seem very interesting:

For Germany: Otto Skorzeny memoirs

Otto Skorzeny: my commando operations
Mitch

In a discussion in one of the other threads, about a news article on German plans to invade Britain in WWII, I mentioned Saki's novel, "When William Came", about a similar counterfactual, and so I've reread it, last Thursday, I think it was.

In his "Operation Sea Lion", Peter Fleming discussed briefly the "invasion craze" that had swept Britain in the previous generation, prior to the First World War. Munro's novel was only one of a number of works--though probably one of the best--including short stories and plays, all dealing with the idea of a (Hohenzollern) German invasion of the Home Isles. Interesting to read about.

Prost!
Brad

Just read 2 books on the Creek and Seminole Wars 1814-18.I have read a lot over the years on 17th-18th cen.indian wars and also the post civil war campaigns but hardly anything on these wars.What surprised me was the size of the forces on both sides,larger than I imagined and the effectiveness of the militia and volunteer forces which I didn't really have a high opinion of,especially since I have read so much about them in the 18th cen.where French-Canadien militia and frontiersmen were rated much higher.The Tennessee and Kentucky mounted riflemen really stood out in these wars.Now I am reading about the Black Hawk War with the Sauk & Fox indians in Illinois.
Mark

Have just picked up "The Maps of Gettysburg" by Gottfried. I had read the comments on this forum and had previously borrowed a friends copy. I really like this book as it gives an excellent account of the timeline and positions during the actions. A very good addition to an ACW library and a must have for we G-burg freaks. Also got Robert O'Connell's "The Ghosts of Cannae: Hannibal and the Darkest Hour of the Roman Republic". Have just skimmed it so far but it seems to be a worthy addition to Punic War literature. -- Al

Also got Robert O'Connell's "The Ghosts of Cannae: Hannibal and the Darkest Hour of the Roman Republic". Have just skimmed it so far but it seems to be a worthy addition to Punic War literature. -- Al

Sounds awesome

I am reading Pat Southern's The Roman Army- excellent and highly recommended so far.

With the current interest in Luftwaffe releases I am going through several books on the Luftwaffe and, just picked up
German Fighter Ace
Hans Jocham Marseille: The life story of the star of Afrika
Auth: Kurowski F

Read about 30 pages and its a very good read so far
Mitch

Users who are viewing this thread

Back