What are the Forum members reading (2 Viewers)

I am reading "The Beast of Boggy Creek";The True Story of the Fouke Monster in Arkansas and getting ready to start "Pensacola";The Longest Siege in the American Revolution.
Mark

Recently read John Mackie's Manhattan South (I read it on Kindle). It is a police investigation of a ruthless Russian assassin who also is a collector of rare toy soldiers. One of the main clues to eventually identifying the assassin was a broken Heyde, found at the scene of a vicious murder. The solitary Russian killer had vast collections that included the bayonet wielding regiments of the First Duke of Wellington, the Ninety-third Highlanders and Scots Grays of the heavy brigade, Russian cavalry and more, (Garibaldis, Dorsets, Soldats and William Britains, all displayed in fascinating diorama throughout every available space in his Manhattan apartment). But he had a particular affection for complete sets of mint Heydes. Aside from his deadly profession, his whole life was dedicated to his miniature regiments (and his bonsai collection). A great police story, but particularly so when Andric Valentin Karasov walks the page. Fascinating....

Finished " A close Run thing" and recommend it. Easily as good as any of the Sharpe books. Allan Mallinson commanded a cavalry regiment at one time and has include tons of detail about how those regiments operated. I just started Edward Marston's "Soldier of Fortune".

Al,

There's a new book out about Lawrence called, simply, "Hero" by Michael Korda. Here's a review that appeared in Sunday's New York Times.

I received the book for Christmas but haven't had a chance to look at it yet (got a bunch of others as well :)).

Thanks for the review info, Brad. I had seen the book at Border's but hadn't had time to look through it. The review makes the book sound useful and worth reading. It will be interesting to see if it as good as Mack's bio on Lawrence. -- Al

Having just received some new of the Lawrence figures from K & C, I decided to finally crack this and it's fascinating. There's also a new book called Lawrence in Arabia by Scott Anderson that has hit the best seller lists and has gotten some good reviews.

Brad

I am reading Lee's Tar Heels by Earl Hess. It is a brigade history. My great-great grandfather, Rufus Woodlief, was in the brigade and was wounded at Spotsylvania. The highlight has been reading about a huge snowball fight staged in battle formation against the brigade of another of my great-great grandfathers, whose daughter I was around a lot when growing up. I took my kids to Antietam two weeks ago and took a group photo in the approximate spot where he fought near the Dunker Church when his regiment advanced across the turnpike to encounter stiff resistance from Greene.

Just got Max Hastings 'Catastrophe, Europe goes to War 1914 ' and as a result am a very happy bunny! :salute:: Have only read intro, prologue and half chapter 1 so far, but already it is flowing very well and written in a way that very much draws you in. :smile2:

Rob

Halfway through "Fusiliers" by Mark Urban about 23rd Royal Welch Fusiliers during the AWI but sidetracked by "Crucible of War" a VERY big book on the 7 Years War which I picked up for £2 in a charity shop at the weekend - bargain for the hardback.

I recently finished "Rifles" by Mark Urban which is similar to "Fusiliers" but tells the story of the 95th Rifles during the Penibsular War. Very good.

Started re-reading "Band of Brothers" again, just because I enjoy it and it is a fast read. Re-reading a book you know is good is one of life's great pleasures. -- Al

Started re-reading "Band of Brothers" again, just because I enjoy it and it is a fast read. Re-reading a book you know is good is one of life's great pleasures. -- Al

(replacing my reply post, which was lost to the hack)

I second that, Al. I re-read Clavell's "Shogun" every year, usually in the summer over a vacation. I just finished re-reading Duffy's "The Army of Frederick the Great" the other week, too, I pull it down from the shelf a couple of times a year and have some parts of it memorized by now. But reading it fires me up to paint. I re-read "Day of Infamy", "Incredible Victory" and Shattered Sword" annually, too, around the anniversaries.

I'm just finishing up now Colonel Scott's "God Is My Co-Pilot", too. I lost my paperback copy years ago to a flooded basement, so I picked up an old hardbound copy on eBay. I'm also waiting for a copy of "Enola Gay", which I haven't read since high school, but want for my library.

For new reading, I'm working through some military sci-fi my buddy Hershbell gave me ("oldtrousers" here in the forum), starting with the "Phantom Regiments" anthology.

Prost!
Brad

(replacing my reply post, which was lost to the hack)

I second that, Al. I re-read Clavell's "Shogun" every year, usually in the summer over a vacation. I just finished re-reading Duffy's "The Army of Frederick the Great" the other week, too, I pull it down from the shelf a couple of times a year and have some parts of it memorized by now. But reading it fires me up to paint. I re-read "Day of Infamy", "Incredible Victory" and Shattered Sword" annually, too, around the anniversaries.

I'm just finishing up now Colonel Scott's "God Is My Co-Pilot", too. I lost my paperback copy years ago to a flooded basement, so I picked up an old hardbound copy on eBay. I'm also waiting for a copy of "Enola Gay", which I haven't read since high school, but want for my library.

For new reading, I'm working through some military sci-fi my buddy Hershbell gave me ("oldtrousers" here in the forum), starting with the "Phantom Regiments" anthology.

Prost!
Brad
I love to re-read books. I like Walter Lord, as well. I read John Toland's Battle of the Bulge and The Rising Sun on a regular basis, along with Horne's Price of Glory, Morris' Washing of the Spears, and especially Herbert's Dune. Nothing like reading a favorite to keep it fresh in your mind.:wink2: -- Al

Oh yes indeed. Many of Lyn Macdonald's books on my shelf are ' well thumbed' Al!:salute::

Rob

Just as we enjoy a piece of music and listen to it again and again, we re-read a story that we like.

Prost!
Brad

I just re-read The Battle of Mogadishu which was edited by Staff Sergeant Matthew Eversmann (played by Josh Hartnett in Black Hawk Down). Great book even the second time around.

Reading The Maps of Chickamauga by David Powell. Picked up a copy signed by him at the 150th anniversary last weekend. He was there for the book signing. Also re-reading The Guns At Last Light by Rick Atkinson. Chris

All,

Believe it or not I just finished "Old Yeller" and "The Miracle Worker". My kids will be reading them this year at school and realized I have never read them myself.

John

...I feel as if I'm a bit of a closet deviant when announcing that 'Yes, I am a reader !'.....{eek3}

...recently completed "The Battle Of Prestonpans 1745" by Martin Margulies.....a well written study of the first 'proper' battle of the '45.....a must-read for those interested in this period....

...currently working towards the end of "Bare Arsed Banditti - The Men of the '45" by Maggie Craig.....and as it states in the title, this book covers the stories of the real everyday people who were involved in the '45....making history seem all the more human and personal......a great read.....light enough to be read at any time.....but with plenty of detail and realism to keep you hooked.....

...on the horizon are a couple of books that have been on my 'I-really-should-read-these-at-some-point' list.....relating to a certain person from the 20th c.......Ian Kershaw's two meaty tomes, namely "Hitler 1889-1936: Hubris" & "Hitler 1936-1945: Nemesis".......these were printed a good 13yrs ago....and I'd seen enough positive reviews in the past to think that at some point I was going to read them......I usually prefer my WW2 books to have a Scottish slant....so when I spotted them both in a 2nd hand book shop in perfect condition (and for 'much-cheapness') I knew the time had come....

Re-reading the classic ''Guns of August''. Sort of a primer before absorbing many of the new titles involving The Great War.

Just finished "Pensacola,The Longest Siege of the American Revolution".
Mark

Just finished "1356" by Bernard Cornwell and loved it. If you are interested in long English claim to the French throne during the middle-age which resulted in English occupying a significant part of the French kingdom (mostly the Southwest part of it) and major battles between the 2 sides: Crecy, Poitiers (covered in that book), Agincourt, etc. you will like this novel. The portraying of the battle scenes and the plot are excellent. Very good descriptions of the battle tactics and of the advantage the English army had with their long bow archers. Enjoy!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back