What are the Forum members reading (4 Viewers)

Just finished Ian Passingham's Pillars of Fire: The Battle of Messines Ridge June 1917. Superb account detailing what was arguably the Allies most devastating and successful operation on the Western Front. This cannot be said of Alexander Turner's 96 page Osprey book (bought to read whilst awaiting Mr Passingham's book) detailing the same battle in which the author seems to have fallen head first into a thesaurus for no descernible reason other than to alienate the reader. A very grandiose little book indeed. My advice - buy Passingham and steer clear of most Osprey titles.

I just recieved a couple of real interesting titles. I have already started reading "The Twilight Riders: The Last Charge of the 26th Cavalry" by Peter Stevens. This is a history of the 26th Cavalry, US Army, in the Philippines in 1941-42 and their valiant fight against the Japanese invasion. It is the last time an American cavalry unit waged a horseback campaign and it is a terrific and somewhat unknown story. The 26th was largely responsible for the effective rear-guard actions that allowed the US Army to withdraw to Bataan. The 26th also staged the last mounted cavalry charge in US Army history. So far it is a very interesting read. The second title is a two volume history titled "With Musket & Tomahawk" by Michael Logusz. Vol.1 is subtitled 'The Saratoga Campaign and the Wilderness War of 1777' and Vol.2 is 'The Mohawk Valley Campaign in the Wilderness War of 1777'. The set has been well reviewed and I am looking forward to getting into the reading of this pivitol campaign. The 2 volumes total some 680 pages with copious notes and sources. -- Al
Completely enjoyed "The Twilight Riders". I have one criticism and that is that there were no maps provided. I have a basic knowledge of Luzon topography but the book travels through many named villages, over rivers, down highways, and maps would have made following the action and narrative much easier. Kind of a grevious oversight for a military book. Even so, the book is a good read about a very overlooked unit. -- Al

Just finished John McManus' "September Hope", the story of the American divisions in Market Garden. Thoroughly enjoyed this battlefield account of the 101st AB, 82nd AB, and 104th Timberwolves divisions fight. McManus is a military history prof at U of Missouri Science & Tech. Very good story of the operational and individual soldier actions in that battle. Includes some of the air support roles, both the troop carrier, glider and fighter bomber roles, including air resupply. I found the storyline compelling for personal reasons as I flew in the 435th Tactical Airlift Wing, a descendant of the 435th Troop Carrier Group, have a son currently in the 101st AB, and a friend whose uncle was KIA in Holland as a member of the 104th. Chris

For the past few days I've been reading Fighting techniques of the early modern world 1500-1763: Equipment, Combat Skills and Tactics. The book provides a nice overview of infantry, cavalry, sieges and naval warfare with a focus on strategy and technological developments. The best part is the wonderful selection of maps, illustrations and maps. Also, the authors have a general European perspective and includes development in smaller countries such as Sweden. The only drawback comes from the very nature of a book like this which is that summarising 250 years on 250 pages is a hard task and the narrative feels superficial at times.

Re-reading "Jurassic Park" and "The Lost World", both are quick reads, and I love them for the theme of planning gone wrong. When our analysts tell us about some feature they've designed, and gush about how great it is, I always say, "The raptors will nibble our bums."

Prost!
Brad

The Standard, issue 37, and the new WBritain catalogue. Nice easy reading with my Sunday morning cup of coffee.

Brian

Just bought "Heraldic Miniature Knights" by Peter Greenhill - who is a well known maker of Conoisseur figures.

Absolutely wonderful book and unputdownable. It is re-kindling my interest in painting up some more of these wonderful figures. If I can only get tthem looking half as good as some of the little gems in the book - I'll be delighted. Johnnybach

Reading "No Easy Day - The Autobiography of a Navy Seal" by Mark Owen. Great read and includes a firsthand account of the mission that killed Osama Bin Laden.

Just got done Osceola and the Great Seminole War by Thom Hatch.Now starting The Frontiersman by Allan W.Eckert,the first of 6 books about the early American frontier and the march westward.
I'll be on these for a while.
Mark

Just got done Osceola and the Great Seminole War by Thom Hatch.Now starting The Frontiersman by Allan W.Eckert,the first of 6 books about the early American frontier and the march westward.
I'll be on these for a while.
Mark
The Eckert books are classics and are much sought after by collector's in their original 1st editions. -- Al

Taking my traditional once-a-decade break from purely military history related reading. I have started a sci-fi book called "Wool", written by Hugh Howey. Apparently it is some sort of huge internet hit. I had never heard of it until seeing a review of the book in the newspaper a few weeks ago. It is a post-apocalypse type thing. Several chapters in and it still has my attention. Looking good so far. Nice and dark in tone. --Al

Taking my traditional once-a-decade break from purely military history related reading. I have started a sci-fi book called "Wool", written by Hugh Howey. Apparently it is some sort of huge internet hit. I had never heard of it until seeing a review of the book in the newspaper a few weeks ago. It is a post-apocalypse type thing. Several chapters in and it still has my attention. Looking good so far. Nice and dark in tone. --Al

I saw that one reviewed in the Wash Post or NY Times recently. Sounds interesting. I've loaded it onto my NOOK. Reading "Only Forward" by Michael Marshall Smith which is a very funny sci-fi book. It's like Raymond Chandler meets Ray Bradbury and Douglas Adams. I'm not ususually a big sci fi fan, but every now and again come across an interesting one.

I recently gota copy of a new causes of WW1 book, "The Sleepwalkers: How Europe Went to War in 1914" by Christopher Clark. It is a massive one volume record of the very confusing and tangled web, both political and military, that led to the conflagration. At almost 700 pages, it promises to be a worthwhile updating of the long list of 'causes' books that have appeared since the war. The best works have all been multi-volume and are decades old. I have read through the intro and am into the Serbian intrigues. It is good so far and I like his style. It moves well for such a complicated subject. -- Al

Reading "No Easy Day - The Autobiography of a Navy Seal" by Mark Owen. Great read and includes a firsthand account of the mission that killed Osama Bin Laden.

Read that one, good read. Some of the stuff in there at the end was eye opening.

I just picked up 5 books of the FIW to dig into. All non-fiction and almost thru the first one, looking forward to the others.

Re-reading "Jurassic Park" and "The Lost World", both are quick reads, and I love them for the theme of planning gone wrong. When our analysts tell us about some feature they've designed, and gush about how great it is, I always say, "The raptors will nibble our bums."

Prost!
Brad

Great books. Congo was also a great read by him, horrible movie that shared very little with the great book. I don't mind movies based off of books changing the story if needed for the screen but this one went well beyond that IMO.

Finished this and pretty much enjoyed it all the way through. Author kept it interesting despite the claustrophobia of it's narrow physical setting. Stays pretty dark in tone with a little hope at the end, and a lot of room to expand on the story. -- Al

Really enjoying "STEEL INFERNO: I Panzer Corps in Normandy" by Major General Michael Reynolds CB

Seems to be well balanced account.

Reading Allan W.Eckert's "The Frontiersman".This is about Simon Kenton's life but many other people white and indian are told about.Really bring's the feel of 18th cen..Hard to believe Wheeling West Virginia as the frontier and thousands of buffalo roaming through Kentucky.I have the whole series so I'll be on these quite a while

Just finished a new book on the Luftwaffe ace, Marseille, called "The Star of Africa: The Story of Hans Marseille", written by Colin Heaton & Anne-Marie Lewis. There is an incredible amount of detail regarding Marseille's air victories but the most interesting elements dealt with his personality and personal life. To say that he was a free-spirit is a huge understatement. He was a brilliant flyer but a huge problem to his superiors, most of whom appeared to have disliked him. It took Marseille a long time to mature and become a team-player, which held him back in terms of promotion, along with the fact he didn't like the Nazi party or politics in general, and was not shy about saying so. It is a wonder his insubordinate behavior didn't get him shot. The book is a good read and moves fast. Lots of combat and includes a list of his victories and the planes he flew. Very useful and interesting. -- Al

After years of stalling, because of price, I have finally gotten the book "The Stand: The Final Flight of Lt. Frank Luke, Jr." by Stephen Skinner. I got lucky and managed to get a copy of this $70 retail book at a great price of $48. Had I known that I would be so impressed and pleased with it, I would have forked over the $70 years ago. This is THE book on Luke, done in typical fine style by Schiffer publishers. It is 260 pages full of Luke's life story, his military career and his death in combat, the mystery of which this book solves by putting the many legends to rest. It is well illustrated with photos and also surprised me by having a few color profiles of his Spad fighters. My only regret, as I said, is that I didn't purhase the book sooner. -- Al

Users who are viewing this thread

Back