What are the Forum members reading (2 Viewers)

Re-reading Ludwig Thoma's "Der Wilderer und andere Jägergeschichten". I wrote my senior thesis on Thoma as a German Mark Twain, and just to prove to my professors that German literature is more than just Goethe and Schiller.

Prost!
Brad

Just got two new titles I am really looking forward to reading. First is "The Maps of First Bull Run" by Bradley Gottfried, part of his series that include Gettysburg and Chickamauga. It looks just as good as the other two and also covers the battle at Ball's Bluff. I am quite excited about the second book, "Three Armies on the Somme: The First Battle of the Twentieth Century" by William Philpott. Been meaning to read this one for a couple of years now, but just got to it. By the title alone, I will be interested to see what Philpott has to say about the French contribution to the battle, which is usually glossed over in most histories of the battle. Both books should be good reads. -- Al

Hi Al, have you visited Ball's Bluff battlefield? It's preserved in a small park. I went there years ago. A little off the beaten path.

I'm still reading Gottfried's Maps of Gettysburg. More of a reference than a straight read although the text is quite good.
Chris

Hi Al, have you visited Ball's Bluff battlefield? It's preserved in a small park. I went there years ago. A little off the beaten path.

I'm still reading Gottfried's Maps of Gettysburg. More of a reference than a straight read although the text is quite good.
Chris
Hi Chris. Yes, I have been there, but, as with you, it was a long time ago. Tended to spend my time in Leesburg proper at the bookstores and eateries when I used to go across at White's Ferry on a regular basis, in later years. I like the Gottfried map series. I have Gettysburg, Chuckamauga, and First Bull Run, which includes the Ball's Bluff battle. I am going to get the Antietam book when I can. -- Al

just recieved this morning: Wenn alle bruder schweigen (when all our brothers are silent) an excellent pictoral book from the early 80's on the waffen SS that I had been after for many many years. forwarded and additional narrative througout by Pappa Hausser. Another fascinating book on the interaction with the waffen SS and the other armed forces of the germans in WWII
Mitch
An excellent, and massive, work. Did you get it in English or German? -- Al

Just got two new titles I am really looking forward to reading. First is "The Maps of First Bull Run" by Bradley Gottfried, part of his series that include Gettysburg and Chickamauga. It looks just as good as the other two and also covers the battle at Ball's Bluff. I am quite excited about the second book, "Three Armies on the Somme: The First Battle of the Twentieth Century" by William Philpott. Been meaning to read this one for a couple of years now, but just got to it. By the title alone, I will be interested to see what Philpott has to say about the French contribution to the battle, which is usually glossed over in most histories of the battle. Both books should be good reads. -- Al
Enjoyed the Gottfried book a great deal. I am really impressed with the Philpott book about the Somme. I think it is the best book on the subject that I have read. It is a very balanced look at the campaign from all three of the engaged armies view. It is especially good on the strategy and forces that lead to the Somme being fought the way that it was. Philpott is at pains to paint the battle as a neccesary rung on the ladder to victory, and not just a senseless slaughter. He makes a very well reasoned argument. It does not fit the prevailing view of 'lions led by donkeys' that is so popular. It was a great read and opened my eyes to many factors in regards to the battle's importance to the Allies final victory in 1918. Highly recommended. -- Al

I just finished 2 of Sven Hassel' s novels: " Comrades of war" and " SS general", and started :" La debacle allemande" by Jurgen Thorwald ( a book about the final russian attack towards the collapsing german army and civils). I am also finishing " History of Piracy" by Philip Gosse

Rereading Sir Arthur Bryant's The Fire and the Rose. It's about the history of England. When I was an undergrad, this book turned me on to history and led to a change in my major. I have not looked back since!
MikeNick

I have begun reading a non-fiction book called "Semper Fi Vietnam" by Edward Murphy.
Anyone interested in Vietnam and/or The Marine Corps will like this one.

Have just started reading ' Bertie , A life of Edward the VII' by Jane Ridley. Its the story of Victoria and Albert's second child who went onto become King but was a controversial figure because of his lifestyle, he and his mother had a very difficult relationship and she resented him for many reasons including contributing to the early death of her beloved Albert because of the strain Bertie's notoriety put upon him. Only twenty pages in so far but very enjoyable already.

Rob

Have just started reading ' Bertie , A life of Edward the VII' by Jane Ridley. Its the story of Victoria and Albert's second child who went onto become King but was a controversial figure because of his lifestyle, he and his mother had a very difficult relationship and she resented him for many reasons including contributing to the early death of her beloved Albert because of the strain Bertie's notoriety put upon him. Only twenty pages in so far but very enjoyable already.

Rob

Interesting, Rob. It occurs to me that he and his nephew Willy had some similar issues in their lives, and it's a sign of the difference in the environments in which they grew up, how differently they turned out.

Prost!
Brad

Re-reading William L. Shirer's "The Rise and Fall of the Third Reich" for the umpteenth time. I just finished re-reading Christopher Duffy's "The Army of Frederick the Great" over Labor Day, too.

Prost!
Brad

Interesting, Rob. It occurs to me that he and his nephew Willy had some similar issues in their lives, and it's a sign of the difference in the environments in which they grew up, how differently they turned out.

Prost!
Brad

Brad, yes it is interesting, I find the whole cousins, nephews and other relations scene between them all quite fascinating. Will let you know what the book is like at the end!

Rob

[h=1]The Blood of Heroes: The 13-Day Struggle for the Alamo--and the Sacrifice That Forged a Nation by James Donovan[/h]I'm still trying to get rid of the nasty aftertaste of Exodus from the Alamo. Not even the friend that gifted me Blood of Heroes wanted my copy of Exodus from the Alamo as a return gift.

Re-reading William L. Shirer's "The Rise and Fall of the Third Reich" for the umpteenth time. I just finished re-reading Christopher Duffy's "The Army of Frederick the Great" over Labor Day, too.

Prost!
Brad

Brad,

20 years ago I also read the 2 volumes by Shirer "the rise and the fall..." and I will never read it again!!!

I found it so boring, badly written in an ancient style, clearly written by a journalist who was not an historian. Everything is considered under the american propanganda politic point of view in the years just after ww2, and very partial ( the eastern front is almost not considered!)..So good luck! {sm2}

For a little while I have wanted to read Paul Daley's book 'Beersheba'. There were no reviews, that I could see, so when I recently bought it I began reading without any preconceived ideas.

I'm 180 pages in and thus far it is has been a complete and utter let down. It doesn't help when the author (this word has been charitably applied because Paul Daley is essentially a journalist) as early as in the foreward alienates a large number of readers. He perpetuates the myth that British negligence was the sole cause for the massacre at The Nek. I can't abide throwaway amateurism like this.

The actual charge commands one inadequate chapter.

The book has, 180 pages in, mainly focused on the "author's" travels to Israel and attempts to juxtapose the Palestine of now with the Palestine of 1917. It doesn't work. For all intents and purposes this book is a disjointed travelogue, very light on any worthwhile historical conent. Extremely light in fact. When he does cease talking about himself we annoyingly jump from Beersheba 1917 to Surafend 1918 back to Beersheba 1917 again. I'm still trying to fathom the reason for bringing up Surafend at all.

I think someone new to the subject would actually learn more from the 1987 film and I can offer no more ****ing indictment than that.

Prost!
Brad

Brad, am about halfway through now and it is very good, really interesting. It chronicles his many suspected affairs (and many doesn't really cover it!) his gambling and questions suspicions as to whether he spread syphilis around the the stately homes of England with disastrous affects to women and their marriages. At this point Willi has made a triumphant visit to England patching up a troubled relationship with Bertie and Victoria, actually the angst over Willi brought mother and son closer than they'd been for years. The book also paints Victoria in quite a bad light so far, describing her as a control freak (even writing to Bertie's wife telling her what time she had to be in bed!) who would not hand the trappings of power to Bertie and who had retreated into an obsessive mourning . This mourning and retirement from public view , coupled with Bertie's lifestyle and associated scandals put the British Monarchy at a low point with the British public. However as I think we shall see Bertie turned it all around with some style as he became King.

Rob

Brave new war: the next stage of terrorism and the end of globalisation by John Robb. Very interesting book on the ways future terror attacks will take shape.
Mitch

Currently reading a new book on the French Army of WW1 called "They Shall Not Pass: The French Army on the Western Front 1914-1918" by Ian Sumner and published by Pen & Sword. Rather than a detailed campaign/battle history, this is a collection of personel, first-hand accounts grouped by year of the war. Given the sparcity of anything on the French Army of WW1 in the English language, I find this to be a very useful and interesting book. -- Al

I'm about halfway through "Mud Blood and Poppycock" by Gordon Corrigan. Nice "field guide" to the WW I British army. It was suggested to me by a WW I reenactor. If you like WW I cavalry actions Corrigan relates a few successful mounted fights that happened later in the war. I really enjoyed The First World War by John Keegan.
[h=3][/h]

Users who are viewing this thread

Back