What are the Forum members reading (1 Viewer)

If you haven't read "A Dawn Like Thunder", Al, I think you'll like it and find it very interesting. I bought it when it first came out (I think), and was fascinated. Like so many others, I had no idea that Torpedo 8 had any history past Midway.

I just finished re-reading Walter Lord's "Day of Infamy" for the umpteenth time, I like it because I can rip through it in a couple of hours.

Prost!
Brad

If you haven't read "A Dawn Like Thunder", Al, I think you'll like it and find it very interesting. I bought it when it first came out (I think), and was fascinated. Like so many others, I had no idea that Torpedo 8 had any history past Midway.

I just finished re-reading Walter Lord's "Day of Infamy" for the umpteenth time, I like it because I can rip through it in a couple of hours.

Prost!
Brad
Hi Brad. I have read A Dawn Like Thunder, and agree, it was a great read. Lord is another one I really like. I enjoyed Infamy very much. I also liked his Alamo, Titanic, and Midway books. Just a good writer, fun to read. -- Al

Re-read "Shattered Sword" on Memorial Day and Tuesday, to remember the fallen and in advance of the anniversary of the Battle of Midway. Now I'm reading, "Death Traps", Belton Cooper's memoir of serving with the 3rd Armored Division in Europe from Normandy to the defeat of Germany.

Prost!
Brad

Re-read "Shattered Sword" on Memorial Day and Tuesday, to remember the fallen and in advance of the anniversary of the Battle of Midway. Now I'm reading, "Death Traps", Belton Cooper's memoir of serving with the 3rd Armored Division in Europe from Normandy to the defeat of Germany.

Prost!
Brad
Great choices, Brad. "Shattered Sword" is my favorite book about Midway, and Cooper's book is just a fantastic read, with lots of great info.. Hard to beat these two.{bravo}} -- Al

The Gettysburg companion- Mark Adkin (very much enjoying it - Gettysburg for beginners{bravo}})

Rob

The Gettysburg companion- Mark Adkin (very much enjoying it - Gettysburg for beginners{bravo}})

Rob
A very useful book, with lots of information, maps, charts, OoB, and, unfortunately, some errors. Still, it is one of my favorite Gettysburg books, as well, Rob. It has great illustrations, too. It really is a 'must have' book for those interested in the battle. -- Al

A very useful book, with lots of information, maps, charts, OoB, and, unfortunately, some errors. Still, it is one of my favorite Gettysburg books, as well, Rob. It has great illustrations, too. It really is a 'must have' book for those interested in the battle. -- Al

It really is Al. I'm very much enjoying learning how the regts went into action in line formation and how these were made up, the diagrams and illustrations are excellent for getting this across and I really feel I understand a lot more about both the battle and the war as I get further into it. I see Mark Adkin as written companion books for both Trafalgar and Waterloo and although I'm not such a novice to these battles ( being a Brit of course! ^&grin) I'm going to get both of them .

Right, time for a chapter or two before I hit the sack

Cheers

Rob

Rob , I agree this a great book for ACW beginners . I have visited Gettysburg twice , once before reading this book and once after . It greatly enhanced my understanding of the battle on my second trip .
My main complaints are it is a bit brief on Pickett's charge and the number of typos was particularly annoying

Regards
Kirk

I am now reading Andersonville by MacKinlay Kantor . It is a brutal (even if fictitious ) depiction of life of POW's .

Rob

Rob , I agree this a great book for ACW beginners . I have visited Gettysburg twice , once before reading this book and once after . It greatly enhanced my understanding of the battle on my second trip .
My main complaints are it is a bit brief on Pickett's charge and the number of typos was particularly annoying

Regards
Kirk

I am now reading Andersonville by MacKinlay Kantor . It is a brutal (even if fictitious ) depiction of life of POW's .

Hi Kirk,

Yes you are quite right, overall an excellent book, despite the typos.

Andersonville sounds good, just seen little bits and pieces about this place over the years and it sounds like hell to me. Wasn't the officer in charge hung for what went on there?

Cheers

Rob

Morning Rob , yes , Captain Henry Wirz was hanged in November 1865.

I like to mix up some historical fiction in my reading .

I recommend Harry Turtledove's "Guns of the South ", alternative history but a great read
Kirk

Just picked up a book by Scott Rusch, titled "Sparta at War: Strategy, Tactics, and Campaigns, 530-362 BC" and it looks like a real good one. Have just skimmed it but it seems to be very comprehensive on ancient Sparta's military. It covers the rise/development of Sparta to it's place of power that it occupied during the years in question. Seeing as how material on Sparta is somewhat slim (in relative terms to ancient Greece), this will be an important addition. -- Al

I recommend Harry Turtledove's "Guns of the South ", alternative history but a great read
Kirk

I read his "The Two Georges", written with Richard Dreyfuss. An interesting premise and an amusing read (though a little too much time spent on describing the meals everyone was having, as I recall).

Currently re-reading "Jurassic Park" for the umpteenth time.

Prost!
Brad

Been re-reading parts of Pfanz's Gettysburg The First Day. Waiting for delivery of Gettysburg July 1 by David G Martin on recommendation of Bob/UKReb. Chris

Been re-reading parts of Pfanz's Gettysburg The First Day. Waiting for delivery of Gettysburg July 1 by David G Martin on recommendation of Bob/UKReb. Chris

I have this book but have not started to read it.

One of the best, if not the definitive book on the American Civil War is "The Illustrated Battle Cry of Freedom - The Civil War Era" which won the Pulitzer Prize, and written by James M. McPherson (considered the leading historian on the Civil War). It is a great read, and beautifully illustrated. ISBN#0-19-515901-2 Oxford University Press, 786 pages, 1988 and the 2003 abridged edition.

Have just finished A.N.Wilson's short biography, Hitler. Strangely, he found nothing good to say about the man at all. ;) Wilson offered a very brief overview of the man's life which lacked a lot of detail but was very interesting in terms of discussion. For example, he makes some very interesting observations about Hitler's effect on the world post 1945.

Am now reading at Ian Kershaw's The End about the last year of the War. Have only just finished the opening chapters reflecting on the Nazi response to July 20, 1944. Utterly compelling. I believe this book has just been released in paperback.

Here's the A.N.Wilson book I mentioned above. ;)

KingandCountryHitler1.jpg

In observance of the Fourth of July, I started re-reading John Ferling's "A Leap in the Dark", about the founding of our Republic. I'm up to the election of 1800, so, almost finished.

Prost!
Brad

In observance of the Fourth of July, I started re-reading John Ferling's "A Leap in the Dark", about the founding of our Republic. I'm up to the election of 1800, so, almost finished.

Prost!
Brad

Brad, that is a really good one. Also, if you haven't already read it, you might check out his "Almost a Miracle", which is an excellent history of the AWI.

Noah

I am just starting "Cain at Gettysburg", a historical novel recommended to me by the guide who educated me on the battle a couple of months ago.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back