What are the Forum members reading (2 Viewers)

A two book biography Max williams on Reinhard Heydrich.

Vol one... Road to war
Vol two... enigma

Very interesting work that took over ten years to research including speaking with his wife before here death in 1985. Quite interesting work about the architect of annihalation and the hangman of prague
Mitch
Hi Mitch. Is this a good academic bio? I couldn't tell from blurbs whether or not it was a written or mostly photo history so I never pulled the trigger on it (too much money to take a chance). -- Al

Al...

Its very much a academic work as its very well researched and looks very objectively at the man and his actions. There are a lot of pictures looks like 800 in the two volumes so, one would think its a pictoral document but, its probably the best work I have read about Heydrich. I got mine for £29.95 and £39.95 respectively so, it was a lot cheaper than I thought it would be. Its hard to recommend books as everyone enjoys things differently but, I do think this is a very good reference for those who have an interest in Heydrich.
Mitch

Hi Mitch. Is this a good academic bio? I couldn't tell from blurbs whether or not it was a written or mostly photo history so I never pulled the trigger on it (too much money to take a chance). -- Al

Al...

Its very much a academic work as its very well researched and looks very objectively at the man and his actions. There are a lot of pictures looks like 800 in the two volumes so, one would think its a pictoral document but, its probably the best work I have read about Heydrich. I got mine for £29.95 and £39.95 respectively so, it was a lot cheaper than I thought it would be. Its hard to recommend books as everyone enjoys things differently but, I do think this is a very good reference for those who have an interest in Heydrich.
Mitch
Thanks for the info Mitch. I have always been interested in Heydrich ever since reading Wighton's book last century. Might try to track these down although I know it will cost me. -- Al

That is a good read also. Gunther Dreschner's book on Heydrich was very good (The pursuit of total power) and, is not very expensive. I think its not everyone's cup of tea as an afternoon read but, its fascinating to see how such an educated and cultured man could partake in the actions he did
Mitch

Thanks for the info Mitch. I have always been interested in Heydrich ever since reading Wighton's book last century. Might try to track these down although I know it will cost me. -- Al

Just re-read 'Journey's end Bomber command from Arnhem to Dresden and Beyond' by Kevin Wilson. A very good read for those interested in the role of bomber command
Mitch

Took Asimov's "Foundation Trilogy" down off the shelf after all. I'm struck now by how dated it seems, compared with it contemporaries (eg, Bradbury), how it drags in places, and also, by how much smoking everyone does. Apparently in the human Galactic Empire 20,000 years into the future, Phillip Morris, and all the cigar manufacturers, have been able to expand to other worlds. I can see people forbidding their children from reading the book, because of the prominence of tobacco.

Or maybe Azimov just foresaw the resurgence in cigar smoking among Gen-Y'ers and other children of the Boomers. Very prescient.

Prost!
Brad

Glad to be able to revive this thread, now that it can be found. Just got a new book (to me), on the Fokker Triplane. It is titled "Fokker DR.I Jagdstaffeln" by Greg Van Wyngarden. Published by Albatros Publications Ltd. in 2007, this is a typically excellent work from this publisher. It is softcover, 84 pages long and crammed with either photos, color ills, or 1/32 scale plans on every page and covers every Jagdstaffel that flew the triplane in combat. For we Fokker Freaks, this is a must have book. It is not cheap at $48.00 and is limited in availability in the US. I got mine from the excellent shop, 'Byrd Aviation Books', located in Williamsburg, Va. I've known Bill Byrd and his wife for a long time and they have a great selection (they stock all the in-print Albatros Pub. books) and fast service. I am very pleased with this book. -- Al

currently reading Bayerlin after action reports of the panzer lehr division. written by bayerlin whilst in prison and, has a lot of detailed information hard cover with hundreds of pictures lots of maps and, is well worth a look. £49.95 but, its a big book hard cover and well put together
Mitch

The Rising Sun: The Decline and Fall of the Japanese Empire, 1936-1945 by John Tolland

The Rising Sun: The Decline and Fall of the Japanese Empire, 1936-1945 by John Tolland
Outstanding book. A must for Pacific War fans. I still have the copy I bought when it was first published. I really liked the pre-war chapters and the chapters about Guadalcanal were, IMO, the best in the book. -- Al

Outstanding book. A must for Pacific War fans. I still have the copy I bought when it was first published. I really liked the pre-war chapters and the chapters about Guadalcanal were, IMO, the best in the book. -- Al

I agree! Since I started the book I haven't been able to put it down. and the pre-war chapters are by far the best so far.

Reading a book called "The Inquest" by Stephen Dando Collins. Its about a Roman quaestor that is sent to Judea to investigate the death of Jesus and his rise from the dead. Its alot like the "Da Vinci Code".

just dug out and will re-read Colditz the full story by Pat Reid. Been a while but, it was a very interesting book
Mitch

Just started reading Spitfire dive bomber witch tell the story of how the{sm0} Spitfire were used against the V2 in a bombing role

"Ameritopia" by Mark Levin. I've also read Osprey numbers on the Battle of the Coral Sea and the USS Tennessee in between.

Just started reading Spitfire dive bomber witch tell the story of how the{sm0} Spitfire were used against the V2 in a bombing role

That sounds a good one Neil.

Just about to start 'Battle of Britain airfields' by Phillip Birtles.

Rob

That sounds a good one Neil.

Just about to start 'Battle of Britain airfields' by Phillip Birtles.

Rob

Rob sound a good read Rob , is it like After The Battle books
?

Rob sound a good read Rob , is it like After The Battle books
?

Neil, no it looks at all the major airfields, with a map of their layout , buildings, life on the airfields and communication links to Bentley Priory etc. Looks a good read. Cheers

Rob

Original bound copy of Illustrated London News - January to June 1884

First hand accounts of the......

BATTLE of EL TEB and BATTLE OF TAMAI with great battlefield drawings by Melton Prior, among others

Cheers

Martyn:)

Just received 3 books that I have read before, but didn't currently own. From a discount/remainder dealer, I got "A Dawn Like Thunder: The True Story of Torpedo Squadron Eight" by Mrazek; "Aces High: The Heroric Saga of the Two Top-scoring American Aces of WWII", by Yenne; and an old favorite, "Guadalcanal Diary", by Tregaskis. Have started to re-read Tregaskis and will get to the others after that. Best part is that the Mrazek book and the Yenne book were both excellent condition first editions, for only $6 each. Original list price totalled $55, for both. Glad I waited for them to be remaindered. -- Al

Users who are viewing this thread

Back