What are the Forum members reading (2 Viewers)

Pulled my old copy of "The Desert Mounted Corps: An Account of the Cavalry Operations in Palestine and Syria, 1917-1918" off the shelf to re-read. Written by Lt.Col. R.M.P. Preston and published in 1921, it is illustrated with photos and maps. This is a terrific history of anything that the Allies did on the hoof in the stated area of ops. Recommended for you WW1 cavalry fans. -- Al

Probably not for everyone but, The camp women The female auxilleries who assisted the SS. Its very interesting and very well written. Gives a great insight into these extraordinary people who were undertaking extraordinary actions
Mitch

Now reading the new edition of Martin Guddat's 3rd volume on Frederick the Great's Army, "Cannoneers, Bombardiers and Pontonneers", covering, naturally, the artillery and engineering troops. I have the original edition, and the new edition expands on it, with much more information, and more and varied illustrations. Gives me a lot of ideas for some projects....

For the second time I am reading the Julles Caesar Commentarii de Bello Gallico-the Gallic War, Love it....

For the second time I am reading the Julles Caesar Commentarii de Bello Gallico-the Gallic War, Love it....

How does that go again? "Gallia omnes in partes tres divida est" or something similar? I never studied Latin formally.

Prosit!
Brad

This weekends form guide and make sure i dont make last weekends mistakes "Giddy UP"..............^&grin

Summer is my best reading season...i finished reading "The Complete MacAuslan" by George Macdonald Fraser..it's the collection of the three books about the life in a Gordon Highlanders battallion and of the "dirtiest soldier in the world" , the MacAuslan of the title..it's really funny reading..:)and i'm finishing "Somme the first day"by Middlebrook (it's a classic), Zulu Rising by Ian Knight (greatly informative about zulu alliances and history before 1879, not so new about Isandlwana or Rorke's Drift battles), Go Strong into the Desert by Mike Snook..(wonderful!)..and a few fiction books (i read the first 2 Alatriste episodes by Perez Reverte)..returning to MacAuslan..it would do a wonderful Club Figure from K&C..after all we had Hamish McTavish..:)

Currently reading, "Blood Red Snow: The Memoirs of a German Soldier on the Eastern Front"

I just started to re-read "A Game of Thrones" (Book 1 in series) by George R R Martin.

The HBO mini series was based on this book (and also is very good!).

Mick

How does that go again? "Gallia omnes in partes tres divida est" or something similar? I never studied Latin formally.

Prosit!
Brad

Good afternoon Brad, I hope you are doing well.

I do not know Latin at all, I tried to have some class at the University, but every time the classes were full...so, I cannot help here, but concerning the Book, is a very nice description of how the Romans fought on Gallia and to show the military genius of Caesar...

Regards

The exact beginning of the book is "Gallia est omnis divisa in partes tres" i made Liceo Classico here in Italy it's an high school were you the study is mainly focused on ancient greek and latin (and story, philosophy)..i preferred greek over latin (even if as an italian, latin is a language more similar to mine..)..great reading..you can encounter even Tito Pullo and Lucio Voreno of Rome HBO fame at one point of the narrative..:)

I have just finished reading Dunkirk: The Men They Left Behind by Sean Longden. An excellent read. Paints a great picture of the rear guard action which allowed so many to escape. Also the miserable POW life of the 40,000 or so who were captured, only to return years later almost forgotten.

Twilight at little roundtop,,Borders in its going out sale is finally reducing prices under its markup,,,Also "get that fighter",,1943 air gunnery text,,among my fathers items im passing on to my family,,still in very good condition,,quite nice in format and intel on axis fighters.

Just finished the Templar Salvation by Raymond Khoury which is a sequel of the Last Templar. Very well written. If you like modern thrillers based on Templars' mystic...

Pulled an old favorite off the shelf to read again. Please forgive me if I have mentioned this one before but it is (along with my father) responsible for my life long interest in WW1 aviation. "They Fought For The Sky" by Quentin Reynolds. Published in 1957, it is the first popular history of WW1 in the air that I ever was exposed to. The copy I have was given to me on my birthday in 1962 by my parents and is a little worse for wear, but it still reads great. After all the research/knowledge that has been done since it's publication, the book is now dated in some aspects but the story still holds up. The book is a fabulous introduction to the air war that covers all the major developments, aircraft, weapons, and the personalities. It is a Western Front story and does not cover the other theaters. More recent and accurate histories are available but this is still adequate for basic info. -- Al

Just finished another re-reading of "A Dawn Like Thunder", which we've discussed and recommended before, but which I'll re-recommend to anyone who hasn't read it.

I'm thinking of shifting gears and pulling Azimov's "Foundation Trilogy" down off the shelf; it's been a while since I read it.

A two book biography Max williams on Reinhard Heydrich.

Vol one... Road to war
Vol two... enigma

Very interesting work that took over ten years to research including speaking with his wife before here death in 1985. Quite interesting work about the architect of annihalation and the hangman of prague
Mitch

Users who are viewing this thread

Back