What are the Forum members reading (2 Viewers)

Re-reading Earl Hess' Picket's Charge, Coddington's Gettysburg Campaign, another re-read, is up next. Loaded up this week on unit histories, just rec'd Four Years In The Saddle, 1st Regt Ohio Vol Cavalry, Minnesota in the Civil War and Indian War, 24th Michigan of the Iron Bgde, History of 1st Regt Delaware Volunteers and Outbreak and Massacre by the Dakota Indians in Minnesota in 1862. Should hold me for a while. ^&cool Chris

I'm re-reading "The Expanse" novels. The changes to the plot and characters that were made in converting the novels to a screenplay have made it a very different story from the books. The books are much better.

Prost!
Brad

Picked up a trio of WW2 Pacific War titles: 'A Matter of Honor: Pearl Harbor: Betrayal, Blame, and a Family's Quest for Justice' by Summers and Swan. It is the story of Adm. Husband Kimmel, the blame he took in regards to Pearl Harbor and his life long struggle (and his family's struggle) to rebuild his reputation. Should be an interesting read considering he was a scapegoat unlike any other. The next book is 'The Battle for Hell's Island: How a Small Band of Carrier Dive-Bombers Helped Save Guadalcanal' by Stephen Moore. I was impressed by Moore's book 'Pacific Payback' about the US Dive-Bombers at Midway (lots of detail) and this one looks to be in the same style. Also picked up 'Storm Over Leyte: The Philippine Invasion and the Destruction of the Japanese Navy' by John Prados. He has written many books that I have liked such as 'Valley of Decision' (Khe Sahn), 'Combined Fleet Decoded', and 'Islands of Destiny' about the Solomons. It'll be a while until I get to them, as always, as my stack of books to be read keeps growing.:redface2: -- Al

Adrian Goldworthy - The Encircling Sea
Plus

Bernage. G Battle of the Odon - interesting read, cannot read enough about Normandy

or the Battle of the Bulge

Picked up a trio of WW2 Pacific War titles: 'A Matter of Honor: Pearl Harbor: Betrayal, Blame, and a Family's Quest for Justice' by Summers and Swan. It is the story of Adm. Husband Kimmel, the blame he took in regards to Pearl Harbor and his life long struggle (and his family's struggle) to rebuild his reputation. Should be an interesting read considering he was a scapegoat unlike any other. The next book is 'The Battle for Hell's Island: How a Small Band of Carrier Dive-Bombers Helped Save Guadalcanal' by Stephen Moore. I was impressed by Moore's book 'Pacific Payback' about the US Dive-Bombers at Midway (lots of detail) and this one looks to be in the same style. Also picked up 'Storm Over Leyte: The Philippine Invasion and the Destruction of the Japanese Navy' by John Prados. He has written many books that I have liked such as 'Valley of Decision' (Khe Sahn), 'Combined Fleet Decoded', and 'Islands of Destiny' about the Solomons. It'll be a while until I get to them, as always, as my stack of books to be read keeps growing.:redface2: -- Al

Al,
Disagree that Kimmel and Short were scapegoats. Maybe they were to some degree, but they were culpable. But it was a tragedy that Kimmel's son was murdered by the Jap(anese) while a POW. I also liked Moore's Payback. Chris

….I have finally reached the end of my quest to learn about the events of the AWI…….not that I’ve actually given up reading books on the subject…..any future AWI books will be to sharpen up on the finer detail…

…the last official book in my pile was:- “After Yorktown – The Final Struggle for American Independence” by Don Glickstein……a revelation for one who previously thought that the affair ended with Yorktown….

“After Yorktown” is a wonderfully engaging collection of short chapters covering a multitude of AWI events spread out across the globe….from the final (un)civil conflicts in the South and the vicious actions along the Frontier, to battles in the Caribbean, to Gibraltar, and then the last AWI related battle in far off India between the American allies and the British…..not simply a ‘colonial’ conflict, it was truly a ‘global’ conflict….
Definitely a recommend read….

….I also found time today (a dreich day) to read:- “The West Point History of the American Revolution”….released quite recently…..the book itself is profusely illustrated with lots of colourful images and maps…..a nice enough basic overview on the subject (when compared to the more detailed books that I have read)……more of a ‘coffee table’ kind of book….it does have approx. 30 pages of notes that provide a good list of more books to read…

Have you read,

British Soldiers, American War: Voices of the American Revolution

The War of Independence: The British Army in North America, 1775-1783

Sir John Fortescue's The Trying of Souls: the British Army during the American War of Independence

Those ****ed Rebels: The American Revolution As Seen Through British Eyes

I would recommend Scars Of Independence. no one comes out well and it tells a story faraway from the neat drawing rooms which ideals were grandly put forward.

Many years ago while in the Royal Navy in our military history classes it was always called the American policing action. I have served in some not too hospitable places with my US cousins and we had some decent good mannered chats and arguments on the conflict. One thing that sticks in my mind was one day a young US Captain who was on the edges of the conversation said well when you Brits would have got to my state, Nevada, we would have 'kick your ***'. He received a little history lesson on dates from his countrymen........... which also included pointing out The Patriot with Mel Gibson was also not a true recollection as well. One thing we always discussed was Yorktown and what would have happened if the French fleet and the French army was not in support, I think we would have retreated into New York and it would have been a more protracted conflict, but with the same conclusion. However, the peace agreement, after the French were excluded, when the US started secret negotiations with the British, was in my opinion the most amicable and agreeable peace treat ever signed, with Brits allowed back to try and get their land back and further concessions on both side. Behaviour which also followed on with the Jay Treaty in 1795. There was always the normal good natured ball breaking about it whenever I happened to be in the States joint training etc, which I always took with good grace, as all us Brits there did, but we always used to let it settle and then 'throw in the 'grenade', by pointing out we won the rematch in 1812...............

if people are thinking, I was not a commissioned officer, spent my career to near the frontline for that. I must relook at the fiction stuff I was writing about the period, sort of a Sharp of the America's.

Portugal;The Scramble for Africa by Pat Southern.In the 1880's Portugal who had been in Africa for almost 400 years found Africa being carved up by other European powers.The Portuguese who mostly controlled along the coasts found themselves trying to claim the hinterland before Britain,Germany and Belgium gobbled it up.
Mark

Rereading General Heinz Guderian's Panzer Leader and loving it!

Brendan

Just finished to read

Le Vicomte de Bragellone ( 5 vol ) A. Dumas
The last adventures of the 3 musketeers ( reign of Louis XIV )

My "bucket list" was to read the biographies of every US President. Obviously they differ in length and interest but they are all pieces of the American history puzzle.
I have skipped around but so far completed 26 bios. I just finished Grant by Ron Chernow and thought it was excellent. Not sure which one to read next but taking a
short hiatus to read one of the classic novels on my list.
If anyone has any recommendations for the lesser known US Presidents please share.

My "bucket list" was to read the biographies of every US President. Obviously they differ in length and interest but they are all pieces of the American history puzzle.
I have skipped around but so far completed 26 bios. I just finished Grant by Ron Chernow and thought it was excellent. Not sure which one to read next but taking a
short hiatus to read one of the classic novels on my list.
If anyone has any recommendations for the lesser known US Presidents please share.

Have you read any Buchanan bios?

I skipped the Chernow book. I found his Hamilton book ponderous and I thought Ronald White, who is a terrific writer and has written several essential books on Lincoln, did a fine job. What Chernow has that White doesn’t is a name known to the general public. That always helps to sell books.

Last edited:
Have you read any Buchanan bios?

I skipped the Chernow book. I found his Hamilton book ponderous and I thought Ronald White, who is a terrific writer and has written several essential books on Lincoln, did a fine job. What Chernow has that White doesn’t is a name known to the general public. That always helps to sell books.

I read Chernow's Washington bio and found it to be tedious although thoroughly researched. I think his Grant bio is much better.
I have not read Buchanan, Tyler, Hayes, Cleveland, Pierce etc......

I read a book about Buchanan called Worst. President. Ever.

Not a great book but short enough to be informative. Don’t buy it, borrow it. Jean Baker wrote another about him, which I don’t intend to read because how much does one need to know about Buchanan. I think her book received somewhat positive reviews.

I read a book about Buchanan called Worst. President. Ever.

Not a great book but short enough to be informative. Don’t buy it, borrow it. Jean Baker wrote another about him, which I don’t intend to read because how much does one need to know about Buchanan. I think her book received somewhat positive reviews.

Think it would be too depressing. He holds his own even against our more recent examples. :rolleyes2: Chris

I read Chernow's Washington bio and found it to be tedious although thoroughly researched. I think his Grant bio is much better.
I have not read Buchanan, Tyler, Hayes, Cleveland, Pierce etc......

Have to agree with "tedious" assessment having read the Hamilton and Washington bios. May cause me to pass on the Grant edition. Chris

Re-reading a book about one of my favorite non-military subjects, the race to the South Pole. I'm reading 'The Last Place on Earth', (originally published under the title 'Scott and Amundsen') by Roland Huntford. A tremendous read on the 1911-1912 race to be the first man to the South Pole. It is a bit controversial in that it is highly critical of Scott in just about all aspects of his expedition, especially in comparison to the highly successful expedition led by Amundsen. A great book on the race, unless you prefer your heroes untarnished. -- Al

Have to agree with "tedious" assessment having read the Hamilton and Washington bios. May cause me to pass on the Grant edition. Chris

You have my admiration Chris. I read his book, cover to cover, on Rockefeller (which wasn't quite as long, I recall) and thought it was quite good.

Just begin to read the Dahak serie from D. Weber
Vol 1
weber.jpg

For Lt. Commander Colin Maclntyre, it began as a routine training flight over the Moon. For Dahak, a self-aware Imperial battleship, it began millennia ago when that powerful artificial intelligence underwent a mutiny in the face of the enemy. The mutiny was never resolved-Dahak was forced to maroon not just the mutineers but the entire crew on prehistoric Earth.

Dahak has been helplessly waiting as the descendants of the loyal crew regressed while the mutineers maintained control of technology that kept them alive as the millennia passed. But now Dahak's sensors indicate that the enemy that devastated the Imperium so long ago has returned-and Earth is in their path. For the sake of the planet, Dahak must mobilize its defenses. And that it cannot do until the mutineers are put down. So Dahak has picked Colin Maclntyre to be its new captain. Now Maclntyre must mobilize humanity to destroy the mutineers once and for all-or Earth will become a cinder in the path of galactic conquest.

http://www.davidweber.net/

Users who are viewing this thread

Back