What are the Forum members reading (1 Viewer)

Re-reading William Manchester's 'Goodbye, Darkness: A Memoir of the Pacific War'. It is a superb book and one of the best memoirs I have ever read. -- Al

One of the first "first person" accounts I read and thought it fascinating. Chris

One of the first "first person" accounts I read and thought it fascinating. Chris
Chris, finally got off my butt and filled out my Midway collection. Believe it or not, I didn't have Walter Lord's 'Incredible Victory', although I have read it, so I finally purchased a copy. Also added 3 other titles, 'The Battle of Midway' by Craig Symonds (the book the Midway Roundtable labels as the best book on the subject), 'Midway: Dauntless Victory' by Peter Smith (lots of interesting charts, ills, photos, etc.), and 'Midway Inquest: Why the Japanese Lost the Battle of Midway' by Dallas Isom. Both of the last titles are given good reviews by the Midway Roundtable. These 4 books, added to other several books I have on Midway should about round the collection out, although I still have a couple of others on my 'to get' list. -- Al

Chris, finally got off my butt and filled out my Midway collection. Believe it or not, I didn't have Walter Lord's 'Incredible Victory', although I have read it, so I finally purchased a copy. Also added 3 other titles, 'The Battle of Midway' by Craig Symonds (the book the Midway Roundtable labels as the best book on the subject), 'Midway: Dauntless Victory' by Peter Smith (lots of interesting charts, ills, photos, etc.), and 'Midway Inquest: Why the Japanese Lost the Battle of Midway' by Dallas Isom. Both of the last titles are given good reviews by the Midway Roundtable. These 4 books, added to other several books I have on Midway should about round the collection out, although I still have a couple of others on my 'to get' list. -- Al

Hi Al
I may have to check out the roundtable books. Sound intriguing. I also need to re-read Shattered Sword. Chris

Doing the same, but with Adrian Goldsworthy's ''Fall of Carthage: The Punic Wars 265-146 BC''.
A few other good books on the subject: 'Hannibal's War: A Military History of the Second Punic War' by J.F. Lazenby, (Lazenby also did 'The First Punic War: A Military History). Both available in softcover. There is also Gregory Daly's book 'Cannae: The Experience of Battle in the Second Punic War'. Available in softcover. Of course there is Livy's classic 'The War with Hannibal'. -- Al

Hi Al
I may have to check out the roundtable books. Sound intriguing. I also need to re-read Shattered Sword. Chris
Chris, just got my latest US Naval Air related book, a brand new publication by Naval Institute Press. It's titled "Seven at Santa Cruz: The Life of Fighter Ace Stanley 'Swede' Vejtasa" by Ted Edwards. Swede started out in Dauntless' before transitioning to fighters. Of course, the title refers to his 7 victories while defending Enterprise during the battle at Santa Cruz. He had a remarkable career and has figured prominently in several of the books I have read regarding US carrier pilots. -- Al

Chris, just got my latest US Naval Air related book, a brand new publication by Naval Institute Press. It's titled "Seven at Santa Cruz: The Life of Fighter Ace Stanley 'Swede' Vejtasa" by Ted Edwards. Swede started out in Dauntless' before transitioning to fighters. Of course, the title refers to his 7 victories while defending Enterprise during the battle at Santa Cruz. He had a remarkable career and has figured prominently in several of the books I have read regarding US carrier pilots. -- Al

While an outstanding WWII USN hero, Vejtasa did not reach high rank in the post war navy, if I remember correctly. Some combat leaders did not transition well in the post war period, unlike Jimmy Thach who reached 4 star rank. Still, should be a good read AL. Chris

While an outstanding WWII USN hero, Vejtasa did not reach high rank in the post war navy, if I remember correctly. Some combat leaders did not transition well in the post war period, unlike Jimmy Thach who reached 4 star rank. Still, should be a good read AL. Chris
Chris, I think he reached Captain, but that was it. Usual reasons, politics, big mouth, fitness ratings, etc. I believe he pissed off Thach at some point and it may not have been forgotten. Still, he could fly a SBD and an F4F.:wink2: -- Al

Just ordered two (of 3) volumes of The Bachelder Gettysburg Papers. Vol 1 is $139 and Vol 3 is $39, while Vol 2 is $399 (not ordered). {eek3} WHy the huge price disparity? I've always regretted not ordering these when Morningside Books did a reprint of these many yrs ago. Have to be careful reading these as some first person accounts are highly suspicious, and others sheer fabrication, regarding certain aspects of the battle. I have the complete SHSP. Hope to have time to read those after next yr's retirement. :smile2: Chris

Just ordered two (of 3) volumes of The Bachelder Gettysburg Papers. Vol 1 is $139 and Vol 3 is $39, while Vol 2 is $399 (not ordered). {eek3} WHy the huge price disparity? I've always regretted not ordering these when Morningside Books did a reprint of these many yrs ago. Have to be careful reading these as some first person accounts are highly suspicious, and others sheer fabrication, regarding certain aspects of the battle. I have the complete SHSP. Hope to have time to read those after next yr's retirement. :smile2: Chris
Chris, go to abebooks.com and you will find a couple of listings for complete 3 vol. Morningside sets. The prices are quite attractive considering what Vol.2 costs on it's own. I tried to PM you but your box is full. -- Al

Chris, go to abebooks.com and you will find a couple of listings for complete 3 vol. Morningside sets. The prices are quite attractive considering what Vol.2 costs on it's own. I tried to PM you but your box is full. -- Al

Thanks Al.

...not yet read, but now on order....two books that should prove of interest to all Jacobite historians, printed by Helion & Company as part of the 'From Reason To Revolution' series:-

"Better is the Proud Plaid: The Clothing, Weapons, and Accoutrements of the Jacobites in the '45" by Jenn Scott

Better 1.jpg

"The Lilies & The Thistle: French Troops in the Jacobite '45'" by Andrew Bamford

The Lilies.jpg

….it is always good to have more books on this fascinating subject....and I hope they are worthy...

...not yet read, but now on order....two books that should prove of interest to all Jacobite historians, printed by Helion & Company as part of the 'From Reason To Revolution' series:-

"Better is the Proud Plaid: The Clothing, Weapons, and Accoutrements of the Jacobites in the '45" by Jenn Scott

View attachment 237004

"The Lilies & The Thistle: French Troops in the Jacobite '45'" by Andrew Bamford

View attachment 237005

….it is always good to have more books on this fascinating subject....and I hope they are worthy...

I will be interested to hear your thoughts and recommendations

...the two new Jacobite books arrived and have been read ….I made sure I fully immersed myself into the subject on the day of reading by taking on board a bowl of porridge and a couple of whiskies…(serious about my reading!)….

"Better is the Proud Plaid: The Clothing, Weapons, and Accoutrements of the Jacobites in the '45" by Jenn Scott……nice illustrations / uniform plates…..not the 120pgs as advertised by the publisher, there is in fact only 85pgs…the book compliments the likes of the Osprey Elite ‘Scottish Jacobite Army’ book…..

….to be truthful, there was not much in the book that I didn’t already know from other sources….I appreciate the effort with regards to the creation of a new book for the Jacobite home-library, and it is nice to look at, but why-oh-why didn’t the proof reader do a better job (not with factual info, just the flow of the writing)…..one to own if you are a Jacobite reference book completist….

"The Lilies & The Thistle: French Troops in the Jacobite '45'" by Andrew Bamford…..nice to have all the info in one place regarding the support given by the use of French Irish / Scots troops…..this book is 118pgs…..a good read….covering the various regiments and uniforms worn….and a section regarding the affairs that they were used in…..

…I especially liked the piece about the uniforms of the Royal Ecossais (always guaranteed to stir up opinion)…and about the ‘is it, or is it not a’ Royal Ecossais grenadier officer’s cap….the author does make the comment in relation to this thorny subject that “one man’s speculation has become another man’s facts”….

…the one main thing that I find fault with (personal taste, no doubt) is the style of artwork used for the uniform plates…..they are too much like a child’s story-book illustration for my liking….I far prefer the traditional ‘Men-at-Arms’ style of artwork……nevertheless, a good book to have….

Having just reread 'Band of Brothers' I decided to start in on Dick Winters own memoirs, so I am now reading 'Beyond Band of Brothers: The War Memoirs of Major Dick Winters', to be followed by 'Conversations With Major Dick Winters: Life Lessons from the Commander of the Band of Brothers' by Col. Cole Kingseed. Halfway through the memoirs and am quite impressed with the man. -- Al

Having just reread 'Band of Brothers' I decided to start in on Dick Winters own memoirs, so I am now reading 'Beyond Band of Brothers: The War Memoirs of Major Dick Winters', to be followed by 'Conversations With Major Dick Winters: Life Lessons from the Commander of the Band of Brothers' by Col. Cole Kingseed. Halfway through the memoirs and am quite impressed with the man. -- Al

Hi Al, did not find Winter's memoirs all that engrossing, at least not up to the level of BoB. But Major Winters was not a professional writer, can't remember if he had a ghost writer. I thought Buck Compton's book was better (hope you find time to read that one). Also read a book about F Company. Just my 2 cents. :wink2: Chris

Hi Al, did not find Winter's memoirs all that engrossing, at least not up to the level of BoB. But Major Winters was not a professional writer, can't remember if he had a ghost writer. I thought Buck Compton's book was better (hope you find time to read that one). Also read a book about F Company. Just my 2 cents. :wink2: Chris
Chris, agree with your critique. I remain quite impressed with Winters but maybe I read too much Winters all at once. BoB superior to the memoirs and both were superior to the 'conversations with' book, but maybe, like I said, it's just too much repetition. Compton's book is on my list but haven't gotten it yet. -- Al

Last edited:
Just received my latest WW2 US Naval aviation book, 'Fighter Pilot: The World War II Career of Alex Vraciu', written by Ray Boomhower. It is published by Indiana Historical Society Press in 2010. There are 170 pages and illustrations. -- Al

Just received my latest WW2 US Naval aviation book, 'Fighter Pilot: The World War II Career of Alex Vraciu', written by Ray Boomhower. It is published by Indiana Historical Society Press in 2010. There are 170 pages and illustrations. -- Al

Paul Strathern's The Medici: Power, Money, and Ambition in the Italian Renaissance. A great popular history of the Medici.
MikeNick

Antony Beevor's, ARNHEM The Battle for the Bridges 1944. Given my interest, received and read first edition when initially available in the late spring of this year. Since then the book has become #1 International Best Seller. Enough said.

ls2918_52_sup_arnhem-cover.jpg

Arnhem Jim
Arizona Territory

Users who are viewing this thread

Back