What are the Forum members reading (2 Viewers)

This one looks interesting and follows in the line of Herzog's Quixote-like themed movie "Aguirre Wrath of God." Release date is June 14.

The Twilight World
by Werner Herzog:

The great filmmaker Werner Herzog, in his first novel, tells the incredible story of Hiroo Onoda, a Japanese soldier who defended a small island in the Philippines for twenty-nine years after the end of World War II

In 1997, Werner Herzog was in Tokyo to direct an opera. His hosts asked him, Whom would you like to meet? He replied instantly: Hiroo Onoda. Onoda was a former solider famous for having quixotically defended an island in the Philippines for decades after World War II, unaware the fighting was over. Herzog and Onoda developed an instant rapport and would meet many times, talking for hours and together unraveling the story of Onoda’s long war.

In
The Twilight World, Herzog immortalizes and imagines Onoda’s years of absurd yet epic struggle in an inimitable, hypnotic style—part documentary, part poem, and part dream—that will be instantly recognizable to fans of his films. The result is a novel completely unto itself, a sort of modern-day Robinson Crusoe tale: a glowing, dancing meditation on the purpose and meaning we give our lives.

The author of this book was the guest speaker at a recent Lincoln-Davis Civil War Round Table. This round table is located in the Chicago area.

America's Buried History, "Landmines in the Civil War" by Kenneth R. Rutherford.

The author is a very prominent leader in the International Campaign to Ban Landmines.

Just read an ebook of Churchill and his Generals by Raymond Callahan. A driving narrative of the PM’s often fraught working relationships with his numerous generals. There were many and this book gives a good account and places them in a decent chronological context. The writing style is a little jerky and the author has a tendency to go over the same issues several times as he continually reassesses their contributions to the Second World War.

Re: What are the Forum members reading?

Over the past few weeks:

"Patton, Montgomery, Rommel," by Terry Brighton (many thanks to "Uncle Bob" Doebly from DVSM for the book)
"American Marxism," by Mark Levin
"Rigged," by Mollie Hemingway

and in observance of the anniversary of the Battle of Midway, "Incredible Victory," by Walter Lord, and "Shattered Sword," by Jonathan Parshall and Anthony Tully.

In between, I spend a lot of brief times re-reading references, too, based on things I'm working on. Especially Hans Bleckwenn's 4-volume book on Frederick the Great's army, and the Almark book, "Hussars and Mounted Rifles - Uniforms of the Imperial German Cavalry, 1900-1914," by DH Hagger. I've got some examples of those subjects on the bench, but I'm spending more time reading the references than painting them. Eventually I'll finish them, though

Prost!
Brad

Followed up "The Longest Day" with "A Bridge Too Far". I think I'll complete a Cornelius Ryan trifecta and read "The Last Battle" next.

Prost!
Brad

The Rise of Theodore Roosevelt by Edmund Morris. It's a fascinating and easy read.
Thanks,
MikeNick

I am reading the book below, on a little known period of slavery.
Everybody knows about the transatlantic slave trade, which saw black Africans snatched from their homes, taken across the Atlantic Ocean and then sold into slavery. However, a century before Britain became involved in this terrible business, whole villages and towns in England, Ireland, Italy, Spain and other European countries were being depopulated by slavers, who transported the men, women and children to Africa where they were sold to the highest bidder. This is the forgotten slave trade; one which saw over a million Christians forced into captivity in the Muslim world.

Attachments

• 21790.jpg
    21790.jpg
    124.4 KB · Views: 150
The Southern Historical Society Papers (SHSP), a daunting undertaking at 52 volumes. This has been a primary source of material for ACW research, albeit a very biased view. Have only read a very few articles off and on over the yrs. Probably will not read each vol cover to cover but select the articles most interesting to me. Chris

IMG_5171.JPG

[h=1]"M: Son of the Century" by Antonio Scurati. This Italian best seller is now available in English. Historical fiction that tells the story of Mussolini and the early days of fascism from the perspective of various participants.[/h]

All,

Just finished:

Endeavor by Peter Aughton

The account of Capt. Cooks famous voyage in search of Terra Australis. What a story that spanned two years at sea.

Now onto to a book called Art and Architecture in Rome.

John from Texas

I'm almost done with Pullitzer Prize winner The Rise of Theodore Roosevelt by Edmund Morris. It's a great read!
MikeNick

I am reading the book below, on a little known period of slavery.
Everybody knows about the transatlantic slave trade, which saw black Africans snatched from their homes, taken across the Atlantic Ocean and then sold into slavery. However, a century before Britain became involved in this terrible business, whole villages and towns in England, Ireland, Italy, Spain and other European countries were being depopulated by slavers, who transported the men, women and children to Africa where they were sold to the highest bidder. This is the forgotten slave trade; one which saw over a million Christians forced into captivity in the Muslim world.

You’ll probably get “canceled” if you mention this episode in history since it doesn’t fit the current victimization narrative that some are peddling.

Not reading but ljust finished listening to Malcolm Gladwell’s “Bomber Mafia.” Excellent

My first time listening to an immersive audio book. The recorded statements by historians and historical figures combined with sound effects really made it a great experience.

Anyone know of other immersive audio books on history?

Not reading but ljust finished listening to Malcolm Gladwell’s “Bomber Mafia.” Excellent

My first time listening to an immersive audio book. The recorded statements by historians and historical figures combined with sound effects really made it a great experience.

Anyone know of other immersive audio books on history?

I'm not sure what you mean by "immersive" but if you liked the subject I recommend Masters of The Air by Donald Miller. History of the 8th AF in Europe. It's the basis for the forthcoming series produced by Tom Hanks. I've listened to the audio version and read the hard print book as well. Chris

Starting "Charles Martel and the Battle of Tours 732 A.D. Small book but interesting.
Mark

bk14.jpg

Fagen: An African American Renegade In the Philippine-American War by Michael Worley. This is a well written sleuth-type of military history. It gives great insight into the insurrection.

Just reading "Street without Joy" Bernard B. Fall.

Just received this book for future reading:
RKAFIGF.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back