What are the Forum members reading (3 Viewers)

I'm a couple hundred pages deep into Jeremy Wilson's Lawrence of Arabia bio. The first hundred plus pages were excellent- covers his childhood and his dig at Carchemesh. Now the book is mired down into the political situation of the ME during the onset of WW1. I hate that about books on LoA- they seem to get so off topic with trying to outline the political situation that the reader may go dozens of pages before Lawrence's name appears. Sykes-Picot was huge of course and Allenby and the rest of the characters are all important but they just seem to make reading anything about LoA tiresome.

This tome is 924 pages long with another near 200 pages of footnotes and appendices.
Chris, I have had this book in my 'to read' pile for years. I just can't get started. I read Prince of Our Disorder and Seven Pillars decades ago, and I will get to Wilson if it kills me. Not sure I can swallow another political analysis but I do like Lawrence, so... -- Al

Ha Ha Al- yeah it's a juggernaut of a book. I'll keep you posted about my progress. Im hoping this is just the "phase" of the book I am in and it won't continue like this.

Just got "French Generals of the Great War: Leading the Way", edited by Krause and Philpott and have read half the book already. It is a work covering a dozen generals, some very familiar and some not so familiar. Very interesting and a much needed work that goes a little ways to fill the enormous gap in literature describing the French contribution in WW1. Published by Pen & Sword. Also re-reading a favorite from long ago, "Massacre at Malmedy: The Story of Jochen Peiper's Battle Group, Ardennes, December, 1944" by Charles Whiting, published by Stein & Day, in 1971. This is the first book I ever read on the specifics of the massacre and I have always remembered it. Holds up well after all these years. The book has no index, a curious absense, but it is well written and reasonably accurate for how old it now is. This book and John Toland's "Battle of the Bulge" are basic works, but my favorites even all these years later. -- Al

Just got "French Generals of the Great War: Leading the Way", edited by Krause and Philpott and have read half the book already. It is a work covering a dozen generals, some very familiar and some not so familiar. Very interesting and a much needed work that goes a little ways to fill the enormous gap in literature describing the French contribution in WW1. Published by Pen & Sword. Also re-reading a favorite from long ago, "Massacre at Malmedy: The Story of Jochen Peiper's Battle Group, Ardennes, December, 1944" by Charles Whiting, published by Stein & Day, in 1971. This is the first book I ever read on the specifics of the massacre and I have always remembered it. Holds up well after all these years. The book has no index, a curious absense, but it is well written and reasonably accurate for how old it now is. This book and John Toland's "Battle of the Bulge" are basic works, but my favorites even all these years later. -- Al

I found Toland's Bulge book an interesting read but later accounts more analytical. Toland overlooked Gen Hodge's almost comatose behavior at the start of the battle as well as some other points. Chris

Started a couple of books that have been gathering dust in my library for quite a while. I have a small collection of Library of America books, 13 in number. Almost all are of historical interest, writings of Grant, Jefferson, Washington, Hamilton, etc. And I thought if I don't start now, when? So have begun Robert Frost's, winner of four Pulitzer prizes, "Collected Poems, Prose, and Plays." Going slowly, as I can only absorb so much poetry in a day. :redface2: The second book is The American Revolution, a collection of first person material. Book opens with three British accounts of the retreat from Concord, including Gen"l Gage.

For those interested in History, especially the history of Australia, I can recommend books by Grantlee Kieza.

I usually find historical books rather boring and started reading 'The Remarkable Mrs Reibey' purely because one of my ancestors worked for her, and no, he wasn't a Convict as some of you may have assumed ^&grin

'Who is this Mrs Reiby', I hear you ask, well she's featured on the Australian $20 Dollar note for starters. I enjoyed the book, which provides an interesting background into the early settlement of Australia, and other countries. Most people forget that the British sent Convicts to America etc for decades before their 'Independance' and of course those Convicts (mostly White) were just Slaves by another name.

Last book i read earlier in the year was the forgotten soldier, story of guy sajer in wwii. It is the 4th time i have read it over my life . Great book. Puts you right there. It was especially interesting as a big chunk of the story takes place in the ukraine where there is so much fighting today. Its is just a great personal account of the war. None better

Last book i read earlier in the year was the forgotten soldier, story of guy sajer in wwii. It is the 4th time i have read it over my life . Great book. Puts you right there. It was especially interesting as a big chunk of the story takes place in the ukraine where there is so much fighting today. Its is just a great personal account of the war. None better
Fantastic read. I first read it as a senior in high school in 1971 and it made a huge impression on me. Have re-read it on several occasions although it has been a while since I have done that. Sajer was an Alsatian with the Gross Deutschland Division. -- Al

I visited Gettysburg this weekend, primarily to attend the Artist Preservation Group's exhibition at the Visitor's Center, but also to pay my first visit ever to the battlefield. I wish I had visited long ago, and I plan to go back, for longer periods.

Anyway, I got myself some souvenirs, including James McPherson's "Battle Cry of Freedom" and Sam Watkins' memoir, "CO. Aytch, or a Side Show of the Big Show". Those are going right into my reading rotation.

I bought those at the gift shop at the Visitors' Center, and I thought the prices very reasonable, better than what a retail store would charge.

It was a great exhibition, by the way. The APG raised funds and donated them to the museum to restore a regimental flag of the 2nd North Carolina infantry regiment. I had a great guided tour on Friday, and took part in a walking tour and seminar following the path of Pickett's charge yesterday morning. Also got some further information to confirm that my great-great-great uncle (I think that's enough "greats") fought in the 34th Pennsylvania Volunteer Infantry, Co. B, at Gettysburg. An excellent weekend, all around!

Prost!
Brad

I visited Gettysburg this weekend, primarily to attend the Artist Preservation Group's exhibition at the Visitor's Center, but also to pay my first visit ever to the battlefield. I wish I had visited long ago, and I plan to go back, for longer periods.

Anyway, I got myself some souvenirs, including James McPherson's "Battle Cry of Freedom" and Sam Watkins' memoir, "CO. Aytch, or a Side Show of the Big Show". Those are going right into my reading rotation.

I bought those at the gift shop at the Visitors' Center, and I thought the prices very reasonable, better than what a retail store would charge.

It was a great exhibition, by the way. The APG raised funds and donated them to the museum to restore a regimental flag of the 2nd North Carolina infantry regiment. I had a great guided tour on Friday, and took part in a walking tour and seminar following the path of Pickett's charge yesterday morning. Also got some further information to confirm that my great-great-great uncle (I think that's enough "greats") fought in the 34th Pennsylvania Volunteer Infantry, Co. B, at Gettysburg. An excellent weekend, all around!

Prost!
Brad
Glad you got to visit the battlefield. It is a great, must-not-miss experience. The McPherson and Watkins are classic reads. I loved the Watkins. -- Al

Prost!
Brad

Glad you finally made it to Gettysburg Brad. I've been a number of times but it's been over 25 yrs since last visit. Going back with a friend next month and then to Antietam. I found the Battle Cry of Freedom to be one of the best books on the Civil War mainly because McPherson traces events leading to the war beginning in the 1850's. His coverage of the actual war yrs is on a high level in the last half of the book.

I'm currently re-reading the Pfanz trilogy of the battle and the Hess book on Picket's CHarge in preparation of the visit.
Chris

Glad you finally made it to Gettysburg Brad. I've been a number of times but it's been over 25 yrs since last visit. Going back with a friend next month and then to Antietam. I found the Battle Cry of Freedom to be one of the best books on the Civil War mainly because McPherson traces events leading to the war beginning in the 1850's. His coverage of the actual war yrs is on a high level in the last half of the book.

I'm currently re-reading the Pfanz trilogy of the battle and the Hess book on Picket's CHarge in preparation of the visit.
Chris
Chris, it would be hard to find a more detailed study of Gettysburg than the Pfanz books. I also liked the Hess book on the charge but my favorite has always been the Stewart book, an oldie but goodie. First read it when I was a kid back in the 55 or so years ago. I currently have a book on Barksdale's charge and a book on the Peach Orchard waiting to be read. -- Al

Chris, it would be hard to find a more detailed study of Gettysburg than the Pfanz books. I also liked the Hess book on the charge but my favorite has always been the Stewart book, an oldie but goodie. First read it when I was a kid back in the 55 or so years ago. I currently have a book on Barksdale's charge and a book on the Peach Orchard waiting to be read. -- Al

Hi Al, I also read the Stewart book about 45 yrs ago, {sm2} and it was a favorite back then. Hess mentions that book (I know you've read both) but claims it was dated due to it being written in the 1950's and there was much more material, unpublished manuscripts from participants and a wealth of books written during the Centennial period of the '60s, that Stewart did not have. I'd have to re-read Stewart's book to make a fair comparison but the Hess book is one of my favorites regarding the battle. Chris

I've been reading some of underlying books for blockbuster movies. "The Exorcist" "Cool Hand Luke" "The Godfather" "Psycho". Interesting to see how the characters and plots vary from the movie depictions. Norman Bates is a heavy-set guy with glasses in the book. Nothing like Anthony Perkins. Cool Hand Luke and Dragline, however, are almost exactly like Paul Newman and George Kennedy.

Reading "Kingfish" by Richard White about the life of Huey Long. A lot of interesting parallels to modern politics for good or ill. A populist who got things done but often ticked off the corrupt establishment. Sound familiar? He was a bit LBJ and a bit whose name can't be spoken.

I've been reading some of underlying books for blockbuster movies. "The Exorcist" "Cool Hand Luke" "The Godfather" "Psycho". Interesting to see how the characters and plots vary from the movie depictions. Norman Bates is a heavy-set guy with glasses in the book. Nothing like Anthony Perkins. Cool Hand Luke and Dragline, however, are almost exactly like Paul Newman and George Kennedy.

I read The Exorcist in college, a life time ago. Couldn't put it down. Cool Hand Luke sounds interesting.

Listened to The Rise And Fall Of The Third Reich by Bill Shirer after having read the print book about 50 yrs ago. Still mesmerizing. I also read his other two books of his trilogy. At the end of the book, written in 1990, he ponders the future of a reunited Germany and he's not sure of what that portends. Having lived there, Germany, for six yrs I saw the same psyche of the 1930's, what I imagine of that time, obviously not having lived during that time. Chris

Users who are viewing this thread

Back