What Vehicles Would You Like To See Made? (1 Viewer)

What Vehicles Would You Like to See Made?

• Churchill MK VII Crocodile

Votes: 10 30.3%
  • M4A3 Flail Tank

Votes: 7 21.2%
  • M26 Pershing

Votes: 14 42.4%
  • FT 17 Renault in German Service

Votes: 2 6.1%
  • Valentine MKIII

Votes: 9 27.3%
  • Renault R35 in German service in the Balkans

Votes: 3 9.1%
  • Soviet T34 in German service

Votes: 2 6.1%
  • The SturmTiger

Votes: 14 42.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

jazzeum

Four Star General
Dave Namiot asked me to start a poll on what vehicles would you like to see made. It's not specific as to company, just what you would like to see made. Dave suggested the vehicle choices. You can vote for more than one. Maybe this will give Figarti, K & C, Britains, NMA and Honour Bound some ideas as to what the collectors would like to see.

I voted for the Pershing out of that lot but personally I feel other vehicles such as halftracks. armoured cars and recon vehicles deserve more attention as they fit better in dioramas than most tanks, as the later rarely mixed with infantry.

For example the Italian Camionetta SPA 43 would make a great addition to any desert WWII range:
camionettaspa435xb.jpg

Last edited:
I voted for the Pershing but I would like the russian Stalin tanks to be made. Unusual miniature, but from what I've read a very important and spectacular Russian tank in WW2. All the other russian or japanese tanks too... Couldn't agree more with having more halftracks, trucks, jeeps, they are easier to fit into dioramas when available room is an issue, especially if you're talking 1/30 scale.

H. collecting,
Paulo

1) We need a little more BASIC research - there wasn't an "M4A3 Flail Tank", at least I've never see a reference to one or seen a photo. The Marines had a home-built M4A2 flail in the Pacific, and the British built a number off the M4A4 tank, but I haven't seen any on an M4A3.

2) The M26 Pershing has been done pretty well by Forces of Valor. Sure it's not 1/30th scale, but it's one of their better US models (Except for the darned "battle damaged" fenders

3) We still need some other basic stuff - the M5A1 light tank made up about 20% of a US tank battalion from 1944-45. Andy did one, but it's an early effort and could be done MUCH better. 21C did one in 1/32nd, but it's based on a very flawed Tamiya model and carried over all the problems. We REALLY need a 1/32nd GMC CCKW 2 1/2 ton 6X6 truck. I looked at a GMC website that had a list of all the CCKWs produced as toys or plastic - thhere has never been one in 1/32nd scale. Andy has done two in K&C.

4) Don't forget the M10 tank destroyer. Not only common to US units in Europe, but it served in Italy and the Pacific, plus with the Free French, the British, and the Poles. Many opportunities for markings and camouflage.

Hi Binder

Maybe we do need to do some more research I have a photo that claims its an M4A3 flail tank. Maybe the book is wrong but what the heck if its an M4A4 or an M4A3E8 or just an M4A3 you tell me the differences and I'll be suitably impressed. As for the other vehicles you suggest those are fine. Remember this is a research question.

Dave

Last edited:
If Andy sticks to his word a SturmTiger will not be made. Being the owner of the company has its advantages and Andy simply stated at OTSN that if he didn't like a particular vehicle for his various reasons it wasn't going to be made. Opinions can always change but that was his quote from OTSN 2005.

Most of the "A" (reportedly the "A" started as "Alteration") versions of the M4 really involve the engine. The M4A3 had the Ford model GAA 500hp 8-cylinder, liquid cooled engine. The M4A3 was the preferred tank in the US Army for the second half of the war (the M4/M4A1 were preferred in the first half). The M4A3 was basically reserved for US use, the British got about seven, I believe, for testing only. Later in the war the French started to get a few M4A3s with 76mm guns, but again in very limited numbers. Strangely, the earlier M4A3 (like FoV produces) didn't get into combat in significant numbers until 1945, AFTER the later versions had already seen months of use. They had been training vehicles in the US and were sent over as replacement tanks due to shortages created by the Battle of the Bulge.

99% of the flail tanks built were British, and their most common tank was the Sherman V (M4A4). The Flails were often labelled as Sherman Crab". The M4A4 tank had the Chrysler Multibank engine that was actually five six-cylinder automobile engines working on a common output shaft (a 30-cylinder enhine!). Anyway, the M4A4 had a slighly longer hull and different rear deck details that the M4A3. For instance, most Shermans used 79 track blocks per side, but the M4A4 required 83.

The Marines and Seabees built a flail tank from an M4A2 (twin GM diesels) in the Pacific. There MIGHT have one M4A3 flail built in Korea, I'd have to haul out my books and check. The US Army in Europe deployed two units with mine rollers on M4 or M4A1 types, and the British did loan the use of Sherman Crabs to support some US units, especially in the Roer River campaign.

By the way the "E8" in M4A3E8 referes to the wider tracked HVSS suspension. Look at the tracks on Andy's DD27 and DD45 Shermans. DD27 has the HVSS suspension while DD45 has the "regular" VVSS type. As a former Armor man you can appreciate the virtues of the wider track providing better floatation.

Anyway, while critical of the "M4A3" reference, I DO think that a Sherman V "Crab" would make an impressive model. It would be great to be able to have the chains hanging loose, and maybe the drum could be adjustable from the travelling position to the flailing position. Not only the flail gear up front, but there were bins on the back to hold lane markers, plus British markings and stowage, it would be a very interesting Sherman variant in anybody's collection.

Gary

By the way, here's a link to an M4A4 Flail preserved in the Netherlands;

http://tanxheaven.com/ljs/M4A4'ShermanCrab'/shermM4A4crabljs.htm

The main site "Tanxheaven" has a great big file of reference photos of a number of real tanks. artillery, and trucks, from many nations.

Gary

I need to post an apology here. I got off on my trivia and seemed to have halted the poll. I am sorry. If you restart it, I'll keep my mouth shut.

Gary

An M10 for me. And yes, a bit more wheeled vehicles.

At the Symposium, Andy discloased that in a couple of months he will be releasing a new (and presumably much improved) Stuart like tank for the D-Day range.

There was a lot of talk about a Winter Sherman, and he showed photos of his new Panther next to a photo of the new Honour Bound Panther. We also got to handle the new 8th Army Dingo scout car.

Louis,

could you tell us the big differences and comparisons between the two tanks, and which one you think is best?

I put my vote in for the Pershing, but I too would like to see more trucks, (bring back the deuce and a half) armoured cars, scout vehicles, light tanks and halftracks. The winter Sherman sounds great and I can't wait for the new K&C Panther, it'll be interesting to see how the K&C version and the Hound Bound compare.;)

Fred

DRAGON WAGON!!!! DIAMOND WRECKER!!! Wouldn't those be something to behold. Michael

How about a Dragon Wagon towing a Long Tom - that's what I'm talking about :)

Andy's looked more battle worn and less "clean" (i.e. it was more cluttered with stuff a tank crew would have attached to the outside of the tank). The Honour Bound tank had nicer looking tracks, but at the Schuetzen Park Show today, I saw them in person, and while they looked nice, they all broke as they were taken out of the boxes. They seem to be too fragile, or will have to be packed much more carefully before they are fit for sale.

Louis Badolato said:
Andy's looked more battle worn and less "clean" (i.e. it was more cluttered with stuff a tank crew would have attached to the outside of the tank). The Honour Bound tank had nicer looking tracks, but at the Schuetzen Park Show today, I saw them in person, and while they looked nice, they all broke as they were taken out of the boxes. They seem to be too fragile, or will have to be packed much more carefully before they are fit for sale.

That doesn't sound too promising.:(

Fred

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back