Where’s everybody at? What happened? (1 Viewer)

How about Hobby Bunker's, is that still active? I use to belong to a Canadian forum but it is no more.
Mark

How about Hobby Bunker's, is that still active? I use to belong to a Canadian forum but it is no more.
Mark

Hi, Mark! Do you mean the Hobby Bunker forum? As far as I know, the forum is still active. I think a number of TF members belong to the Hobby Bunker forum, too. I'm a member there, too.

I think I know the Canadian forum you mention. I never visited it, but I remember that some TF members were also members of that one. I recall mentions of it here in this forum. Wasn't it associated with one of the clubs up there?

Prost!
Brad

Another Facebook group is www.mytoysoldiersandme.com

Not sure about not finding any more groups on Facebook; a search on "toy soldiers" returns a number of hits, and if you drill down to any of the pages or others, Facebook starts offering suggestions for others to look at.

This topic comes back from time to time, though. It's really a matter of your individual perspective. As others have noted, the number of people who collect "collector's toys", as they are sometimes called is dwindling, that's true. But that's just one niche or segment of the broader hobby. If there are fewer people buying historical miniatures, there are many, many more who are interested in subjects like fantasy wargame figures. And they tend to paint their own, too. The same change is underway among those of us who paint our own toy soldiers and figures. There might not be as many new fans of Napoleonic French hussars, for example, but there are a lot of people painting Orcs and space marines. And many are outside the Anglosphere, so you might not be aware of them. So while tastes and subjects change, the hobby itself thrives.

Prost!
Brad

Fantasy wargaming and painting is huge.

HUGE.

It dwarfs the toy soldier hobby by a country mile.

The Fantasy/Sci-Fi conventions draw thousands, as in numbers like 10,000 attendees.

The biggest historical wargaming convention in the US draws about 1500 attendees.

I'd venture to guess if you combined the 12 to 15 US based toy soldier shows, you wouldn't get to 1500 total attendees.

On a push, you might, but 12 to 15 vs 1.

That's not to say the hobby is not still popular; as others have said, go look on some of the toy soldier Facebook pages, a few of them have a **** ton of members, members who actively contribute as well.

Fantasy wargaming and painting is huge.

HUGE.

It dwarfs the toy soldier hobby by a country mile.

The Fantasy/Sci-Fi conventions draw thousands, as in numbers like 10,000 attendees.

The biggest historical wargaming convention in the US draws about 1500 attendees.

I'd venture to guess if you combined the 12 to 15 US based toy soldier shows, you wouldn't get to 1500 total attendees.

On a push, you might, but 12 to 15 vs 1.

That's not to say the hobby is not still popular; as others have said, go look on some of the toy soldier Facebook pages, a few of them have a **** ton of members, members who actively contribute as well.

I knew the fantasy aspect was huge. I should definitely look into it more.

I knew the fantasy aspect was huge. I should definitely look into it more.

It just depends on what your tastes are, some people dabble in both toy soldiers and fantasy figures.

Some of the painters who do fantasy figures are on another level, they do incredible work as there are no "correct" colors as they're fantasy figures afterall.

It just depends on what your tastes are, some people dabble in both toy soldiers and fantasy figures.

Some of the painters who do fantasy figures are on another level, they do incredible work as there are no "correct" colors as they're fantasy figures afterall.

Excellent point, George! You know we've been reaching out to the fantasy wargaming fans more and more in our show, and I've seen more than one example of a fantasy painter who went into the vendor area and came out with a couple of historical kits, too.

Everyone's got his tastes, but painting is painting, and we can appreciate the work that goes into any finished piece, whether it's a subject we're interested in or not. I say the same thing in scale modeling. Traditionally there has been disinterest or worse between fans of one subject or another-the "car guys" hate the "airplane guys", who hate the "armor guys", and they all hate figures. And it often shows itself in a club. There'll be cliques based on those interests. But the good clubs don't have that. They operate on that principle I described. We all like our subjects, but we also appreciate the skill and effort that go into any piece.

Prost!
Brad

Mark

It's still active, but a smaller group. For the First Legion, John Jenkins, Britain's, War Park and related sections the discussion tends to be a lot more focused on historical and technical accuracy. Lot's more topics on modifying, painting, and weathering the tanks and figures too. Also lots of topics on building scenic vignettes and dioramas.

We also talk a lot about ways to move the hobby forward, like delving into 3D printing technology etc.

I post a lot more over there due to the more technical lean of it. I'm one of those dreaded "rivet counters". {sm4}

I still enjoy the hobby, but must admit I don't find it nearly as exciting as I once did. There is a golden age of everything, and that has mostly passed. I'm not saying it can't come back, and I hope it does. There still are some nice things being produced, and First Legion gives me hope. I've naturally transitioned more into creative aspects of kit figure painting and fixed diorama building. When I have time that's where I find a lot of enjoyment. I also really enjoy the collection I have put together over the years. There's only so much display space, and in a sense I have climbed the mountain and just really appreciate what I have.

passing of my wife,,total disruption personally and every other way,,selling my home and a cross country move,,,just beginning to unpack and survey my collection,, damage and loss ,,Beware that an expensive long time moving company is no better then two guys and a truck,,

passing of my wife,,total disruption personally and every other way,,selling my home and a cross country move,,,just beginning to unpack and survey my collection,, damage and loss ,,Beware that an expensive long time moving company is no better then two guys and a truck,,

Hang tough Brom.

I still enjoy the hobby, but must admit I don't find it nearly as exciting as I once did. There is a golden age of everything, and that has mostly passed. I'm not saying it can't come back, and I hope it does. There still are some nice things being produced, and First Legion gives me hope. I've naturally transitioned more into creative aspects of kit figure painting and fixed diorama building. When I have time that's where I find a lot of enjoyment. I also really enjoy the collection I have put together over the years. There's only so much display space, and in a sense I have climbed the mountain and just really appreciate what I have.

I quite agree with this. I can remember getting my first sets which were the Conte ACW Troiani sets and I thought they were fantastic. At the time I would buy nothing but Conte. Nothing really came close to these for me except Jenkins Snowshoes range.
Mark

I am loving it more than ever but mostly because of Jenkins. I am at the point where my collection is huge, it does not have a fit for purpose space until i rebuild, which is years off, and i need to be very picky about what i buy because of this. Besides all of that i still feel like a kid in a candy store and love seeing what K n C, Jenkins, TG, TM and Britains continue to offer up. I love this hobby, now 54, and have collected all my life except between about the ages of 14 and 23, where sport, girls and drinking seemed cooler. Now i know toy soldiers are better than drinking and sport and i have the best wife in the world so i can forget about girls.
i hope others are loving at as much as me, if not, i hope you can find a new passion, its important yo have something that sparks you.
Jas

From a personal perspective I have pretty much left the hobby but still enjoy looking at the products. I only really like the Jenkins figures now but didn’t particularly enjoy dealing with the UK supplier and not being able to just click and buy and therefore just stopped and sold literally everything.

I moved on to 28mm figures and have a good range of people that paint them for me. It’s also a much cheaper way of collecting and space is less of an issue too now.

From a personal perspective I have pretty much left the hobby but still enjoy looking at the products. I only really like the Jenkins figures now but didn’t particularly enjoy dealing with the UK supplier and not being able to just click and buy and therefore just stopped and sold literally everything.

I moved on to 28mm figures and have a good range of people that paint them for me. It’s also a much cheaper way of collecting and space is less of an issue too now.

To be fair you haven't really left the hobby, just moved on to something that suits your budget more and fits you're present circumstances.

I get that and understand why.

This hobby of ours has IMO never been cheap as such, especially when it comes to painted metal figures and polystone vehicles.....and now metal AVs with detailed interiors.

I certainly don't have bottomless pockets, however over the years have learned to adapt and appreciate more what I have opposed to what I don't have and can afford.

Its easy to fall into the trap of looking at the latest releases, throwing your hands in the air and going bugger that.....

That's when I get to be my most creative........think of a couple of figures, a building and/or vehicle and boom things become fun and interesting....

Last edited:
To be fair you haven't really left the hobby, just moved on to something that suits your budget more and fits you're present circumstances.

I get that and understand why.

This hobby of ours has IMO never been cheap as such, especially when it comes to painted metal figures and polystone vehicles.....and now metal AVs with detailed interiors.

I certainly don't have bottomless pockets, however over the years have learned to adapt and appreciate more what I have opposed to what I don't have and can afford.

Its easy to fall into the trap of looking at the latest releases, throwing your hands in the air and going bugger that.....

That's when I get to be my most creative........think of a couple of figures, a building and/or vehicle and boom things become fun and interesting....

Agreed with all here

I'm actually having 22mm sculpted for me and have a painter also. This is more enjoyable for more. I still get larger figures done if it's one that catches my eye.
Mark

Users who are viewing this thread

Back