WW I Vehicle (1 Viewer)

Look at the number of German staff cars that he has done in the Leibstandarte series. That too was an early war period for WWII collectors and considering that the early vehicles in the beginning stages of the war (1914) were not that numerous or had much variety. I still think that the romantic attraction of the Parisian taxis is something that Andy would believe that collectors would be drawn to.

My impression is that KC is too conservative in their selections to do a taxi. Hopefully, I'm wrong.

Brtish officers staff car please and tanks!

Rob

It would be nice to have some pictures since most of the suggestions may not be familiar to everyone.

They used dogs to pull little carts in which there was the ammunitions. See the set made by Beau Geste (BG 123) to have an idea of what I am talking about. It's hard for me to translate a word or a concept from french to english. Sorry.

Pierre.

I've seen pics of these and it would be cool to have one

Rob

They used dogs to pull little carts in which there was the ammunitions. See the set made by Beau Geste (BG 123) to have an idea of what I am talking about. It's hard for me to translate a word or a concept from french to english. Sorry.

Pierre.

Hopefully they did not retrieve hand grenades.

In one of the deleted messages Andy indicated there would be a "vehicle" with the first set of WWI releases. Any guesses on what it might be? There were a few clues:

1) It will most likely be German
2) Early war period - 1914 Western Front
3) Contains two figures
4) It is not the Franz Ferdinand car

That eliminates tanks or airplanes. There can't be too many others - maybe a transport or ambulance, motorcycle (did they have any?), staff car.

For a vehicule that used a motor as primary power force (then my Belgians with their dogs and the british of the BEF with their bicycles are excluded), I can only see (apart the taxis) a automitrailleuse (don't know the word in english, sorr. CannonFodder, please help!) builded on a Rolls-Royce Silver Ghost frame.

Pierre.

For the Belgians with dogs, I found that:

Attachments

• chiens de guerre.jpg
    chiens de guerre.jpg
    43.7 KB · Views: 96
Pierre-
Those look great. Some more info on animals at war:

Hundreds of thousands of dogs were also used during the First and Second World Wars. They were used by the Red Cross and wore a harness on their body with a loincloth that had the Red Cross symbol. They carried emergency bandaging and were trained to go out over open ground to be of aid to wounded soldiers. Once they reached their target, they were taught to sit and bark to alert the stretcher bearers and field ambulance drivers; however sometimes, unfortunately, the Germans were alerted first. Dogs were also used by all sides for night raids in trenches; the Italians used sheep dogs for carrying hand grenades in a pack saddle; there were dogs used by the signal corps for running messages; and ‘suicide dogs’ were used whereby they had a harness with an explosive and trigger mechanism on their backs and they were trained to run over open ground and under a tank or a truck.

Soldiers were only in the front line trenches for a couple of days on the western front and then they were sent back to the remedial lines to stop them going mad with the noise, boredom or terrible conditions. Looming was dysentery, trench fever, septicemia, and trench feet. There were also rats living off the corpses so England sent across highly trained terriers called ‘rat dogs’ who were placed over the corpses to keep the rats off. Before the rat dogs there had been orders to dig graves in the walls of the trenches but when the rains came the bodies washed out and hence the dogs were put into service.

Pigeons were used for communication. The Germans trained hawks to kill the pigeons in flight as they went over their trench lines so that they could get the messages being carried; the British in turn trained falcons to kill the hawks. Birds were largely demobilised after the First World War with the introduction of newer planes and newer forms of wireless communication.

Thanks for the link Michael there are some excellant pics on it.

Rob

Pierre-
Those look great. Some more info on animals at war:

Hundreds of thousands of dogs were also used during the First and Second World Wars. They were used by the Red Cross and wore a harness on their body with a loincloth that had the Red Cross symbol. They carried emergency bandaging and were trained to go out over open ground to be of aid to wounded soldiers. Once they reached their target, they were taught to sit and bark to alert the stretcher bearers and field ambulance drivers; however sometimes, unfortunately, the Germans were alerted first. Dogs were also used by all sides for night raids in trenches; the Italians used sheep dogs for carrying hand grenades in a pack saddle; there were dogs used by the signal corps for running messages; and ‘suicide dogs’ were used whereby they had a harness with an explosive and trigger mechanism on their backs and they were trained to run over open ground and under a tank or a truck.

Soldiers were only in the front line trenches for a couple of days on the western front and then they were sent back to the remedial lines to stop them going mad with the noise, boredom or terrible conditions. Looming was dysentery, trench fever, septicemia, and trench feet. There were also rats living off the corpses so England sent across highly trained terriers called ‘rat dogs’ who were placed over the corpses to keep the rats off. Before the rat dogs there had been orders to dig graves in the walls of the trenches but when the rains came the bodies washed out and hence the dogs were put into service.

Pigeons were used for communication. The Germans trained hawks to kill the pigeons in flight as they went over their trench lines so that they could get the messages being carried; the British in turn trained falcons to kill the hawks. Birds were largely demobilised after the First World War with the introduction of newer planes and newer forms of wireless communication.

Combat

Great stuff - I ddint know about the German Hawks and English Falcons......
I love this forum. :)

I think Andy will look at the early WWI vehicles already successfully produced by other companies like Toy Army Workshop, Tommy Atkins, Trophy and Britains premier (Later Charles Biggs) and select one from there. Maybe a Thorneycraft Truck (Britains Premier) with artillery mounted on the back, or a troop transport truck (Tommy Atkins made great ones with highlanders seated in the rear).

I think Andy will look at the early WWI vehicles already successfully produced by other companies like Toy Army Workshop, Tommy Atkins, Trophy and Britains premier (Later Charles Biggs) and select one from there. Maybe a Thorneycraft Truck (Britains Premier) with artillery mounted on the back, or a troop transport truck (Tommy Atkins made great ones with highlanders seated in the rear).

Louis

Do you think we might get a hint in March?

Ron

Users who are viewing this thread

Back